Need advice on graphics card

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
So I decided I needed to give VRC Pro a shot since it now includes electric carpet racing and that's relevant to what I do these days. Besides, I need the practice to be competitive and I can't really justify going to the track too much more than I already do. So I downloaded the program and everything seems to be fine until I start to drive. All of my inputs are lagged significantly, and by that I mean about a second or slightly less. I've tried changing the program settings but but nothing helps. I'm pretty confident from some things I've read elseware on the web that my graphics card is not up for the challenge. I run a Dell with Win7 and a Core I5 processor. Plenty of RAM for the program but my Graphics is an ATI Radeon HD 4350. I've been reading that something like a 5850 is sufficient to run this program efficiently. Now I don't know jack about these things other than they are somewhat expensive. Is it reasonably safe to buy a used card and save a ton of cash? Is there a brand that is better than others? Any help here would be appreciated here as I want to do something quickly to get some time in on the program so I can decide whether or not I want to continue subscribing. I'm in for 1 month right now and it's not exactly cheap so it's a gamble to upgrade my computer but I need to find out if this will assist my learning curve or not.

i wouldn't buy a used card just for the fact that you don't no what the last person has done to it in terms of trying to overclock it which can be hard on video cards if they push to far and not have proper cooling.
Are you playing muliplayer online or just locally?
i would say that your video card you have now should still run this program decently a good way to test is to go into your game setting and turn down your video setting if there is a selection for shadows turn that off and all other video setting to low and try playing it if that improves your lag then yes get a new video card ATI and nvidia both make good video cards i have had both with no problems. nvidia has a advange if your motherboard is setup for it you can piggy back your video card to your on board video and gain alittle more HP.

if turning down all your video setting don't seem to improve your lag it may be your internet connection is not fast enough or your racing against people that are to far away from you i don't know how this game works but most all games i have played online have some sort of connection speed (in ms) per map you need to try and get the lowest possible number.

Last but not least there tend to be cheaters on online games running hacks that slows the game for everyone but themselfs.

oh one more thing to mention if you do end up buying a video card make sure your dell has enough room to fit it in some of these video cards take up to slots and dell tends to pack there $h!1 tight.

I've made every setup change possible to alleviate any processing that may not be necessary but to no avail. The thing is it looks good and doesn't get jittery or unsmooth at all.. its just slow to react. This is all in practice mode offline. I went to Staples to window shop and a fella recommended something that was basically twice as powerful than what I'm running now. geForce gt430. Not too bad at a c-note. I'm 99% sure this will solve it as I've read of other people running stuff similar and having lag issues as well.

How much memory are you running on your system, Josh? If you're running Win 7 on a 64-bit processor like the i5, you should run at least 4 GB and 8GB is better.

As far as used video cards, they are a definite no-no in my book. The nVidia cards are good and I use them. You can get an nVidia GT440 for about $80 at newegg.com and a similar brand at Best Buy locally for the same price.

OK, I take it back. NOW it works well when I turn ALL of the graphic options off. I must have missed something yesterday. I assume a better card would allow me to run all of that stuff though.

ha.. posted at the same time Hamz. It seems ok now that I made sure all that extra stuff is off. I can keep all of the audio options on but as soon as I turn on one of the graphic things it starts to lag. I guess even though it wasn't reacting yesterday it wasn't as smooth as I thought. A new card would certainly allow me to run all that stuff too. My system has 6 GB of RAM.

Last edited:
check tigerdirect.com and newegg.com for the best prices i would probably go one model higher than the one you think you need to cover yourself for future updates.
Read the reviews because not all manufactures are created equal. they may all have the same nvidia or ATI chipset but built to different standards. i've had good luck with the sparkle brand and EVGA brand

I was thinking the same thing mayrider. One step up. I'm gonna ride it out for a month first though. If I don't plan on using g the program longterm there's no reason for me to upgrade.