Need advice on getting my 1st drift rc car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingD

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking to buy my first drift rc car and I was hoping to get some advice. I was looking to spend around $200 but doing a bit of research, for a decent one, that does not seem likely anymore.

Do you guys have any suggestions on rc cars?

I was looking at the MST RMX 2.0, the kit is under $200 but looking into it there are a bunch of parts that i would need to buy to build it.

Is there another ready to run rc car that is decent and may be under $200-300?

Would you guys suggest to go with an RTR version or a kit?

Any advise will be helpful

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy my first drift rc car and I was hoping to get some advice. I was looking to spend around $200 but doing a bit of research, for a decent one, that does not seem likely anymore.

Do you guys have any suggestions on rc cars?

I was looking at the MST RMX 2.0, the kit is under $200 but looking into it there are a bunch of parts that i would need to buy to build it.

Is there another ready to run rc car that is decent and may be under $200-300?

Would you guys suggest to go with an RTR version or a kit?

Any advise will be helpful

Thanks in advance.
What about the Redcat Lightning EPX Pro, or the Exceed MadSpeed Drift King? They are both pretty much the same car. I have the MadSpeed Drift King, and, so far the only thing i have needed to do is upgrade to sealed bearings (i do that to all my vehicles), and CVD shafts. You can get parts from Redcat, Exceed RC, and HSP (the HSP Flying Fish is the same car). Not that i have found that it needed them, but, if you wanted, there are also a ton of aluminum upgrades available, either separately or in full replacement kits. The electronics can be iffy, but, you can have that issue with any model. However, the Redcat Thunder Drift is a parts hog, or, at least, the two i had were. They were always breaking things. They will take pretty much any standard 200MM body. I use cheap eBay Subaru bodies on mine, since i tend to destroy even decent bodies on my cars. The Exceed bodies especially are extremely weak. Another option are kits from Tamiya, but, they are full on kits that have to be completely built, the body needs to be trimmed and painted, but there are tons of parts and upgrades available. The only upside i ever saw to a kit was to learn how every part of the car goes together. Set up after building can be a pain though, but in some cases its worth it, that way you know all the ins and out for when you have to fix or adjust anything in the suspension or steering.

You could also look at a brushed 4tec 2.0 as an option
Otherwise echoing the above post Redcat Lightning or the Exceed mad drift 1/10

First, consider whether you want a RWD or 4WD drift car. RWD cars drift best, but 4WD cars are much easier to control. MST and Yokomo are reputable drift car companies, so I would start with them. Both companies make lots of kits (some RTRs), but I wouldn't look at it as a bad thing, since you would know more about how the car works, and you can customize it as you build it. If you still want an RTR, then I suggest looking at the RTR version of the MST RMX 2.0 (there are lots of body options, but the two I linked below are the ones currently in stock):
https://www.amainhobbies.com/mst-rm...-car-w-nissan-r35-gtr-body-mxs-533702/p731255
https://www.amainhobbies.com/mst-rm...-car-w-amg-gt3-body-silver-mxs-533715/p861084
*Note that the RMX 2.0 is a RWD car

If you want a 4WD, then I would consider looking at a Traxxas 4 Tec 2.0 or a Kyosho Fazer MK2. They both come with touring car wheels, so you might want to change them out for drift wheels. I have the Traxxas 4 Tec 2.0 platform for a bit of drifting (it isn't a dedicated drift vehicle, more of a street car), and the chassis is pretty well balanced.

First, consider whether you want a RWD or 4WD drift car. RWD cars drift best, but 4WD cars are much easier to control. MST and Yokomo are reputable drift car companies, so I would start with them. Both companies make lots of kits (some RTRs), but I wouldn't look at it as a bad thing, since you would know more about how the car works, and you can customize it as you build it. If you still want an RTR, then I suggest looking at the RTR version of the MST RMX 2.0 (there are lots of body options, but the two I linked below are the ones currently in stock):
https://www.amainhobbies.com/mst-rm...-car-w-nissan-r35-gtr-body-mxs-533702/p731255
https://www.amainhobbies.com/mst-rm...-car-w-amg-gt3-body-silver-mxs-533715/p861084
*Note that the RMX 2.0 is a RWD car

If you want a 4WD, then I would consider looking at a Traxxas 4 Tec 2.0 or a Kyosho Fazer MK2. They both come with touring car wheels, so you might want to change them out for drift wheels. I have the Traxxas 4 Tec 2.0 platform for a bit of drifting (it isn't a dedicated drift vehicle, more of a street car), and the chassis is pretty well balanced.
You know whats funny, I waited a few hours too long to decide. I decided i wanted to get the mst rmx 2.0 RTR GTR R35 body, but it literally sold out the same day i decided that's what i wanted. So sad haha. I back ordered it but man these things sell out so quick. Any one have any idea on how long they usually take to get in stock?

NOTE: GTR is one of my fav cars so i really wanted that one. Also i wanted to try and learn how to rc drift RWD since it is more realistic.

The BMW body and the AMG GT3 body are still available, I'm thinking of just getting one of these and buying a GTR body later on but I'm not sure if i should. What do you guys think?

For drifting, I like the 4wd cars best. The offer more control. Especially when you feel like doing some regular street racing. Slap on a set of street tires and take off.

Like Turbo advised, check out the Kyosho line. These have a lot of hop-ups available also.
EP ON-ROAD (kyoshoamerica.com)

Hard to say when they will be back in stock, as MST is based in Asia. I've never back-ordered anything, but I have heard that it takes from a week to a few months. As for the body, I haven't seen MST selling them separately, so you might have to get a GTR body from Tamiya, or wait for the RTR. I think the one with the red NSX body is also in stock.

Back