Need a new traxxas maxx motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ree_ree

RCTalk Racer
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Title says it all. I'm new to the rc world and the t maxx I got came with a bad motor. I have since pulled the motor and am looking to upgrade from the stock 2.5 that was in there.
Any hints on motor type would of great help. Thanks for helping in advance !

3.3 will do a t maxx a lot of justice anything bigger you better plan on upgrading a lot of parts.

i had already planed on upgrading parts, the $$ isnt really an issue. i have a yamaha banshee i have dumped about $15k into lol. this little thing can't be anywhere near what that costs me every other weekend to run !

the banshee is a dragger, running 300 feet in just under 4 seconds ;)
db939e77.jpg

Put a picco .26 you will have to buy a new era mount and prob go ahead and beef your tranny up but a picco .26 on a t maxx will be insane! Get a wheelie bar and you may want to gear it up some to just to be able to keep the front tires down some.

---------- Post added at 5:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:50 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pS8bQlw-j74

that little thing looks crazy, but I'm not sure how much fun it would be with the front wheels in the air the whole time your driving it lol...might have to put some 2oz lead weights on the front to keep it from doing wheelies all the time !

Anything bigger than a 2.5 it's hard to keep the front wheel's down on a t maxx unless you gear it way up and maybe even put weight in the front. I got a revo and a jato 3.3 and my jato I had to weigh the front end down cause it kept flipping over when it hit 2nd gear. My 3.3 revo is pretty sick to and it will pretty much wheelie on demand but not like a t maxx.

I want something that's gonna fly but at the same time I would like to fix the wheelie issues...might be something I'll have to tinker with. The first of the year is when I will be getting a new motor. I gotta buy Xmas presents for my boy and girl in the next couple of weeks lol

If you don't want wheelie's you may want to just sell the maxx and get a revo. A revo with a big motor geared right is insane and will wheelie but only if your trying. I had a os .21 on my revo and was running a 17 cb and a 36 spur and it was insane. It would wheelie but only if i wanted it to wheelie.

i have herd the revos are fun. pretty sure my cousin is going to get one here soon since i have this maxx now

Forgive me but I am fairly new to all of this. What are lrp's ???

nice, i wonder if it will bolt up or if i would either have to make my own mount or find a mount that will fit the tmaxx

get a R B Mods con rod. it will NOT break.

so i have been looking at a lot of the big block motors, I'm not sure which one but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a big block.

my plans are to take the anno off the head and polish it up along with the crank case as well.

what would be the best big block to throw in it ?

If you're talking a real big block then almost anything will work. You could try a LRP z28, zr30, dynamite big red, picco 28, etc. It takes some planning though, and you'll need a chassis or chassis extension with an ofna violator tank as well as some driveline upgrades.

A mid block with big block power would be a picco 26 red dot or 26 max.

If I were going to do it I'd get a bad azz modded race .21 (true big block for a buggy/truggy) that revs out to 40,000 plus rpm and use a relatively low gear like 23/58 for example. Something that would utilize the 21's medium torque, high hp, and ridiculous rpm.

I already have a .26 max on mine so it's gonna stay that way for now.

i like all the info :) i know how to build motors and make stuff go fast, but these little buggers are all new to me lol. i dont know yet whats junk and whats good...with time ill learn ;)

Most any big block will be more than enough for a maxx, but there are ways to mod these engines too.
Please don't ask about any forced induction systems though, they simply do not work.

+1. Superchargers don't work due to a lack of valves and nitrous doesn't work either.

Back