Need a little help guys!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big jilm

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Alright, so I removed the engine today by removing the 4 screws from the top of the mount to change a broken clutch.. Everything went smooth until I put it all back together..
The clutch bell spin free with no resistance but when I put the engine back on and got it mounted , there is a problem. The mesh seems to be out of wack. It doesn't turn freely and seems to be binding a bit. It will turn but just isn't right. You can feel the teeth rubing.

So, How does one go about adjusting the mesh. This is the first bit work I have done on it except change the plugs. It's a revo 3.3 model#5309 if it maters. Thanks guys...:\

You could try putting spacers/shims on the clutch bell where the screw goes that holds it in place(in front of the bearings) to help set the mesh.;):D

There are 2 screws under the engine mount. They are pretty long and run parallel to the chassis. Loosen them both and raise/lower the mount as necessary and re-tighten.
The one on the outside is easy to get to. Inside is a little bit of a hassle but doesn't have to be loosened as much.

loosen those 4 screws. Now take you a piece of notebook paper and slide in between the spur and the clutch bell. mesh the paper between the gears and once you do that kinda rotate the engine a little and put some pressure on it. After that tighten the 4 screws back and you should be good. I have removed my engine the same way 10 times probably and i've never had a mesh issue.

loosen those 4 screws. Now take you a piece of notebook paper and slide in between the spur and the clutch bell. mesh the paper between the gears and once you do that kinda rotate the engine a little and put some pressure on it. After that tighten the 4 screws back and you should be good. I have removed my engine the same way 10 times probably and i've never had a mesh issue.

:goodpost:

got it guys!! Thanks for the quick response!!rcnitrotalk is :first_place:

this exactly what i did yesterday and it worked perfectly:D

yep, I'm not sure why but the mesh was off after I put the motor back on. I loosened the tilt screw ( back of the motor ) and had to move the motor down a good bit to get it smooth again. I'll run it a little tomorrow and keep a check on it to make sure it doesn't move.
Was kinda nice to do some repair today. I feel like I have a better understanding of how this thing is put together and how the clutch works.. Thanks again guys...

That's good, glad that you got it running agian......now let's see some vids !:D

glad we could help! good luck. i feel the same way once i started tearing mine apart i really got to know my rig and enjoy it a lot more.

Man, I put this thing back together and it runs like poop!! I spent about an hour trying to tune it and its still jacked up. It was set to factory settings before I Tore it down and it was running strong. the guy at Hobie town said it was one of the strongest revo's he had seen. Now It just sucks.

I got it to where it would run pretty strong but the idle is messed up. I tried to idle it down but the idle screw is so loose it feels like I'm about to loose thread. Its backed way out. Now it idles high but will die if I don't give it gas.
I'm about flush on the lsn and about 3 3/4 to 4 turns out on the hsn. Seems lean but If I richen the hsn it bogs.. My temps got high pretty quick but I don't know how high, I don't have a temp gun. I did the spit test and it didn't boil off so I'm guessing I'm in range.
I did notice that when I refueled there was smoke coming out of the fuel tank, A lot of smoke but didn't smell like it was burning or anything.
The idle is also irregular. After a few passes when I bring it in, It's really high then seems to fluctuate.
Any ideas or advice???
When I bought the thing the clutch was bad so This is the first time I've run it with a working clutch and seem to have lost my bottom end...:angry:
Thanks for the help guys!!

Well, for one I would start by screwing the idle screw back in before it just falls out on it's own.:D Then I would set both the HSN and LSN back to factory settings. After that, I would adjust only the HSN & the idle screw if needed before messing with the LSN because you should only adjust one needle setting at a time.;) You should only adjust the LSN after getting the HSN and idle screw set to where you want it because it is for fine tuning.;)
Anyway, try that and see what happens, I hope it helps for now.:thumbup:
Like Rolex said, you should tune by ear, smoke & sound or something to that effect.:D

Last edited:
Smoke in the fuel tank is normal when refueling. The fuel tank gets its pressure from the exhaust, which is putting out smoke (hopefully).