Need a good servo for a Stampede VXL 2WD

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StampedeFan

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Forum!

Very excited as this is my very 1st post on RCTalk!

Need some help looking for a good aftermarket Servo for my Traxxas 2WD VXL Stampede.

Upon a recommendation I got a Zoskay metal gear high torque servo off of Amazon for $34.99.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S9XZYN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem is that the servo is taller than the standard Traxxas 2075 servo. As a result the Traxxas Shock Tower is blocking it from mounting flush with the chassis. It is blocking it by a considerable amount as you can see in the below photo. So adding a bunch of washers is not going to be an option.

Dunno if it is true but I have heard that Traxxas Servos are over priced and there are better and cheaper aftermarket options available. Can anyone recommend a servo with the same form factor as the Traxxas 2075 servo that would fit a Stampede 2WD? Want to get one with Metal gears. High Torque would be a bonus.

Or would it be better to stick with Traxxas Servos?

ST_1.png
2075.png
Zoskay.png

can you try to mount it from underneath ? servo city has many measurements on servo size try looking at them b4 you buy another.

I dont care for traxxas electronics. The black cases seemed more reliable. If its only a few mm, you can probably trim a notch in the shock tower.

I usually use futaba, savox of similars. In the morning I will give the model in mine.

Hello Forum!

Very excited as this is my very 1st post on RCTalk!

Need some help looking for a good aftermarket Servo for my Traxxas 2WD VXL Stampede.

Upon a recommendation I got a Zoskay metal gear high torque servo off of Amazon for $34.99.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S9XZYN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem is that the servo is taller than the standard Traxxas 2075 servo. As a result the Traxxas Shock Tower is blocking it from mounting flush with the chassis. It is blocking it by a considerable amount as you can see in the below photo. So adding a bunch of washers is not going to be an option.

Dunno if it is true but I have heard that Traxxas Servos are over priced and there are better and cheaper aftermarket options available. Can anyone recommend a servo with the same form factor as the Traxxas 2075 servo that would fit a Stampede 2WD? Want to get one with Metal gears. High Torque would be a bonus.

Or would it be better to stick with Traxxas Servos?

View attachment 127831View attachment 127832View attachment 127833
This is what I would use myself.

https://www.savoxusa.com/collections/standard-servos/products/savsv1270tg-hv-coreless-digital-servo

can you try to mount it from underneath ? servo city has many measurements on servo size try looking at them b4 you buy another.
Never heard of Servo City. That is a great site! Very helpful! Thank you . Far as mounting it from underneath...based upon the frame and everything I don't think it is feasible but thank you for the suggestion.

WOW! That looks like a HOSS of a servo! Don't think it will fit. Wish it did though. Thank you for sharing

It should fit...

Traxxas 2075 servo

Length:2.17 in (55.1 mm)
Width:0.79 in (20.1 mm)
Height:1.50 in (38.1 mm)

Savox SV1270TG servo
Dimensions L x W x H (mm): 40.3 x 20.2 x 37.2

If anything the Savox servo is a wee bit smaller than the Traxxas 2075 servo

The Tactic tx45 looks GREAT! I think that would work. Seems like the same footprint. Chubaka did you have to trim the shock tower at all?

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/s45-standard-high-torque-metal-gear-2bb-servo/ONXM0245.html

Unfortunately the TX45 is no longer available and it's replacement is on back order until July. Will see if I can find it somewhere else that does have it.

Ebay has been my go to. Used to use amain, quit using rpp with the $10 shipping.

I did not have to shave it on this truck. I do have an flm chassis, shouldnt matter.

https://www.servocity.com/linear-actuators/#linear-servos
trimming shock tower will not work it will make weak spots at trim spots.low profile servo will also work.

TNTPoof, I felt the same way and wasn't interested in trimming it as I felt it would potentially impact the structural integrity of the shock tower.

However amazingly Traxxas states to do so on their 2250 and up model servos. This only impacts the 2WD Stampedes. The 4WD model is not an issue as it has a different configuration. Very bad design for the 2WD version IMO.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/servos/2250

Attachments

• fineprint.png
    fineprint.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 63
tntpoof, Chubaka, & Greywolf74,

I REALLY appreciate all of your feedback! This was my very 1st post on the forum and I was not disappointed. Lots of great advice!

Unfortunately there is a supply shortage at the moment and I ended up going with a Traxxas 2075X servo from my local hobby store mainly for time conservation purposes.

Not ideal but my Stampede is now fixed and back on the road again. I learned a lot from all of you and will know what to do in the future. So your efforts were not in vain.

Can anyone tell me how to close out a thread?
  • Do threads remain open indefinitely or after a certain time period?
  • Do I have to select a 'best answer'?
I am not familiar with the mechanics of this forum engine.

I REALLY appreciate all of your feedback! This was my very 1st post on the forum and I was not disappointed. Lots of great advice!

Unfortunately there is a supply shortage at the moment and I ended up going with a Traxxas 2075X servo from my local hobby store mainly for time conservation purposes.

Not ideal but my Stampede is now fixed and back on the road again. I learned a lot from all of you and will know what to do in the future. So your efforts were not in vain.

Nah ,it stays ,just dont post here ,start a new thread ,we will clown the one that rehash this one!..:hehe::hehe:

The X is a decent upgrade over the 2075 if for no other reason that at least it has metal gears instead of plastic ones. It will work just fine for a time no doubt. Glad you got her back up and running. :)

I really wanted the Tactic TX-45 however everywhere I looked it was sold out and most sites said it would be available again in July (too long of a wait)
The Savox SV1270TG looked AMAZING however it was beyond my price point.

The 2075X I got for $49.99 which I think is rather good as I have seen it retail for $59.99

Really wish the TX-45 was available because it seems to be comparable at half the price.

Tested it out last night but did not get a full run in. Wanted to run it tonight but a bad storm is moving in. Perhaps tomorrow.

Have REALLY, REALLY been enjoying RC cars since I have re-entered the hobby. So much fun!

Back