My Scaler Project... Jeep Tuber ...(Update 5-1-14)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCNitro

Fist of Goodness
In Memoriam
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have always wanted to build a Jeep tuber, but the price tag on a Boyer is a bit up there and I just never got around to doing it. Well recently I have been doing some work for a welder so I roped him in to helping me build my own. So I have finally started building my own Jeep tuber.

Originally I was going to use a set of Clod axles I have on this project but have since changed my mind and decided to make this a scale trail rig rather than a crawler, since I already built one of those. So I will be selling off the clod axles and using either some tlt axles or wheely king axles and 2.2 rims and tires to get a more scale look to it.

The tube chassis is 3/16 steel rod, mig welded first then tig welded to fill and smooth the joints. I have got a good bit of the chassis started already but still have a long way to go yet...

It's built to fit inside an HPI Rubicon body so that I can use the hood and sides of the body over the chassis. Forgive the crappy pics but my digital camera recently expired and I had to take these pics with my camcorder...

DCFC0005.jpg

DCFC0009.jpg

Here it is after some more tube work today...

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

That thing is goin to be sweet. It really looks like a Jeep!

Bryson

Hey aren't you supposed to be in the paint room right now? LOL

The chassis looks awesome, looking forward to seeing more progress pics.

LOL, yes actually I am, but I am waiting for my paint to arrive in the mail since my LHS was siezed for taxes :jittery:

Update...

Well I got the chance to do a little more to it. I added the rear bars, changed the center section a bit since I have decided to build a full interior for it and will need to add another section a bit lower for the tranny to allow clearence for a floor. I have also started cleaning up all the welds. Sorry for the crappy pics, but I am still using my camcorder to take them since my camera died.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

I also made a front brush/rock bar, I still need to add a few support pieces to the hoop, and the tabs to bolt it to the chassis .The grill guard will be removable rather than welded to the chassis, that way I can make different style guards and change the look if I want to.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

I mocked it up with the rims and tires from my sons stampede to get an idea of how it will look, heres a few pics of it mocked up, actually it looks more scale in person than it does in the pics...

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

That looks great bro, I really like the grill guard and loop on the front!

Very very nice. Are you planning to put a finish on the cage? If it weren't too expensive, a powder coat on that would look stunning.

wow... that really does look scale!! good job... wow. wow. wow.

Very very nice. Are you planning to put a finish on the cage? If it weren't too expensive, a powder coat on that would look stunning.

Oh yeah, when it's finished I definately plan on getting it powder coated. I'm not quite sure exaactly what color yet though, I was thinking of a silver or chrome powdercoat, something nuetral that would go with whatever color body I decide to put on it, but I am still not 100% decided on the color yet.

I really like the grill guard and loop on the front!

Thanks man, actually the grille guard and hoop was one of the most difficult parts to do so far, getting both sides equal and spaced exactly how I wanted it took a long ass time. It took me over two hours just to bend the grill guard, and that didnt include the time welding the guard and loop together or cleaning the welds on it. I bet I have over three hours in that piece alone.

wow... that really does look scale!! good job... wow. wow. wow.

I may try a set of 1.9 tires and rims to see if it looks better than the 2.2s to make it look more scale, but I am quite happy with the progress so far with the look of the 2.2s

That was my first try at real fire, since then I have gotten much better at it. Now when I look at that one I really don't even like it anymore. I think I may do a blue true fire lid for this truck once it's done.

Very nice work Joe. I can only imagine how hard it is to weld like that.

Back