My nitro engine won't start, please help!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbiesRcs

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My nitro engine wont start because of pull start... I try pulling it the RIGHT way and its very hard and locks up please help and wont start... Please help!!!

First of all, remove the glow plug and turn model upside-down. Pull the pull-start several times to get excess fuel out of cylinder. You can then try to restart it after reinstalling the glow plug.

is the engine new? if so, and it hasnt been broken in yet, you may need to heat it up a bit to get it going. you can also loosen the glo plug slightly until it starts then snug it back up.

First of all, remove the glow plug and turn model upside-down. Pull the pull-start several times to get excess fuel out of cylinder. You can then try to restart it after reinstalling the glow plug.

Alright i took the Cooling head off and cleaned the cylinder, it looks like the cylinder was getting dirt in some how... I cleaned it and where gonna go drive it and test it

If it has DIRT in the cylinder, on top of the piston and it got there without you removing the glow pug & it dropping in there you really need to do a total tear down, clean out and inspection of the engine Before you try running it.

If it has DIRT in the cylinder, on top of the piston and it got there without you removing the glow pug & it dropping in there you really need to do a total tear down, clean out and inspection of the engine Before you try running it.

Lol I'm a nitro pro but I'm 13 so I'm be parented so prob i wont be able to do a tear down...

Hi guys I'm also new to Nitro Rc and I'm having a problem with my Nitro Rs4. I can't start it and I've tried checking the glow on the glow plug and that is strong. I also tried priming it to see if maybe the duel handy yet entered the carb... Still nothing. So every time I pull it feels like it's gonna start but it won't which I why I thought spark plug. I hope I haven't flooded the engine in which case I know what to do but is there any other thing I could do to try and start it? suggestions would mean a lot thanks [emoji106]

Hi guys I'm also new to Nitro Rc and I'm having a problem with my Nitro Rs4. I can't start it and I've tried checking the glow on the glow plug and that is strong. I also tried priming it to see if maybe the duel handy yet entered the carb... Still nothing. So every time I pull it feels like it's gonna start but it won't which I why I thought spark plug. I hope I haven't flooded the engine in which case I know what to do but is there any other thing I could do to try and start it? suggestions would mean a lot thanks [emoji106]

Thongs to do/check.
1)Make sure it isn't flooded.
2)Put a new plug in it. Is your glow igniter fully charged?
3)Put the needles back to wherever stock(the get it started setting) is.
4)How old is the fuel? Was it stored with the cap tight?
5)How old are the fuel lines? Is there a good seal on the tank lid?
6)Does the engine have compression when you turn it over by hand?
7)Before you try to start it, put your finger over the pipes stinger & crank till fuel reaches the carb.

Thanks for replying first of all. Yes to 2.) I bought a new plug and the battery in the igniter is new. I will try tuning the needles back to stock setting. The fuel I got the same time as the plug which was about a month ago after a few uses. The fuel lines are as old as the car itself which is a 2001 model that t cousin gave me. I know this car is old so I wouldn't be surprised if it needed a new engine but I will try that hopefully next weekend. Not sure what you mean by 7.)? Thanks for help

When you first put fuel in an empty car, it takes a bit to get fuel up to the carburetor through the lines.
If you put your finger over the outlet on the exhaust pipe then crank the engine over it will push fuel up through the lines to the carb, your now ready to fire the car.
Move your finger off the pipe outlet & put your igniter on the plug & start the car.

If the fuel lines are that old they need replaced.

Roll the engine over by hand by the flywheel(with the glow plug in), you should feel resistance at one point when turning the flywheel over. if it's easy to turn over & you get no resistance when turning it over then your engine is most likely worn out.

Wow thanks Ill give that a try with my buddy Matt next weekend. He owns two nitro cars and one gas so if that doesn't solve it he'll know but thanks [emoji2][emoji106]