My "new to me" MGT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well I bought this MGT and believe it is the 4.6. I got this to be a project however it is clean and been taken care of so there is not much of a project there,LOL. A couple questions about them. Why do the brakes start to engage when you come down to 1/4 throttle? Is this a normal setting or is it an adjustment I need to make on the truck. Also the steering seems really wide, even for a large truck like this(cannot turn around on the street as the street is not wide enough). Can I adjust this or again is there something else amiss? Thank You, Shaun
20150219_204925.jpg

Does your truck have a wide turning radius both left and right? Its probably something simple like adjusting the End Point Adjustment on your transmitter

There's a mechanical adjustment that determines when the throttle hits neutral and the brakes begin to engage.
If you don't have a computer radio, the steering might be a matter of the control arm length or which hole the linkage is in.

I got the steering figured out, setting on the radio. Also got the brakes adjusted right. Ran 4 tanks through it and spun the spur gear. Man I love this truck. It climbed a snowbank that I can not climb on my own. All the way up it I was just hoping I did not roll, LOL.

Yah the MGT is an awesome truck that doesn't get much credit. There stock mills are kinda prone to air leaks other than that they are a solid rig. I have three now. Two 8.0's and a 4.6 version. Back when MT were still popular at the track the MGT's and the revo's were real close in handling when set up properly.

Had to order the spur gear online. Went to all three of my LHS's and none had it in stock. Not real certain why it tore the center out of it. I had a Maxx that did that but that was because I did not get the slipper tight enough. This had great response and great acceleration through 3 1/2 tanks then boom all at once the spur melted down. I could only come up with one possibility. That was being that I was running up and down large snowbanks I got some ice in jamming something up a bit and the spur was the weak point.
The kids won out and it got the Grave Digger paint, but the decals in the kit were really bad, like they were just a bit to big for the body. It is running a Mach 26 engine. I have no idea what the stock engine was, or if this is the stock engine but I pulled it and resealed it just for peace of mind. I also put new fuel lines on it. All in all this is becoming my favorite truck.

Well I got a new spur gear and installed. Took it out for some fun tonight, yes I know it is only 19* out but could not help myself. I also got to see just how two different air filters compared. The stock it ran great, no issues. The K&N look alike gave me a ton of trouble, stalling acting rich and constant tuning to try to make it work. Gave up on that one and went back to the stock, good thing it was a freebee.
The ONLY thing I do not like about this is that it gets almost to much side grip. Could use to slide a little. Now that is probably just the tires but the climbing and all around traction is so good I wont be replacing them.
Does anyone know where I can find a camera mount that will work with this truck? Would love to run my gopro clone in it but the mount just doen not work with the truck. Thank You, Shaun

20150227_232057.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure on the gopro mount. But those K&N filters are crap. My buddy ran them a few times. Upon disassembling his engines realized they were letting a crap ton of dirt in the engine. Those so called filter are really just oil breathers for automotive purposes. Best filter I have run have been the Hpi savage filters or the Motor saver filters.

Toss that k&n in the trash!...those type of filters do not filter out the fine particles,stay with a good 2 stage oiled foam filter,I've been using the motorsaver for a good 15 years

Absolutely ditch the K&N and get a motor saver air filter, best on the market.

Like I said it was a freebee and I thought I would try it. May put it on my shelf queen cause it looks cool. Could not believe the difference between the two with how it runs.

Short viseo of it running around my yard. Little fun on a Sunday afternoon.

Thank You. It is running a little rich right now but we are still having fun with it.

Back