My new Jeep!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Joe has a killer build thread going with the same kit so I didn't even attempt one. I really should have left the body alone until I had more time (wife in and out of hospital), the paint came out ok but I goofed on the masking in a few spots and never noticed until it was done (thats why no pic of the drivers side LOL) When I get a little more free time I'll finish the little things and try to touch up the poor masking job. Here is what she looks like now

Jeep-YJ.gif

looking good dawg. Its gona be a great G2G next time.

lookin good man!! i am probably selling the scx but i am keeping the crawler so i can still come to the g2g. lol

what elecs are you running?

what elecs are you running?

Hitec 645
Traxxas xl-5 (blue)
Traxxas tx/rx

I can't believe your selling the SCX, why don't you like it?

That paint don't look bad at all Pete. I really like the color combo a lot.

Thanks bro, I like the colors too, the paint actually laid down good and has a nice shine. I was in a hurry and used masking tape and I didn't take the time to check the lines. The sad thing is I have a big bottle of liquid mask that I should have used. Here's the drivers side :(

poor-masking.gif

masking-crap.gif

The gunmetal grey and clear coat or rattle cans from Duplicolor, I like it on hard bodies because it scratches instead of peeling or flaking! The only bad thing is getting it to shine can be a PITA!

The black is Krylon Fusion. I didn't clear coat over it because it's almost too shiny already, according to the can it becomes scratch resistant in 7 days.

Last edited:
Looks good, and I have seen way worse masking jobs, mine as a matter of fact, I suck at painting and masking, LOL!!!!! Should be a lot of fun to go on some scale runs with..

I got it running today and it's a little too fast with the 45T motor but it still got around a lot better than I thought it would! I took the camera with me but the batteries were dead so no action shots. I glued the tire tonight so I'll see what it can really do tomorrow and the camera batteries will be charged. Here's a shot of it with the stock tires and wheels.

stock-tires.gif

The Trail Doctors were rubbing pretty bad while turning and would actually bind against the inner fenders during flex, so I gave it a little body lift. It's not much but now the tires only rub lightly at full articulation and it was very easy.

For the front simply flip the body mount over, thats it!
mount-flip.gif

Drill new holes for the rear and it's done! Thanks to Joe's tips I kept all the window braces from the body and will fill the stock holes with them.

rear-body-lift.gif

It's hard to tell from the pics but it does have more clearance
body-lift.gif

And now that it doesn't bind it has more flex!
flex-shot.gif

I definately like the new wheel/tire combo vs. the stock.:D Good fix, and you can tell from the pics that it has more clearance.;)

Last edited:
Thanks Taz!

Now that the tires are glued it does pretty darn good, it went several places I never expected it to. Now I have to decide on another motor, the 45T is way too fast and real slow going is hard to control. Here's a few action shots.

jeep-5.jpg

jeep-1.gif

jeep-2.jpg

jeep-3.gif

jeep-4.jpg

Thanks Joe!

Here a few short clips I put together, nothing exciting

[ame=http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb250/Smaxxin/?action=view&current=JeepWranglerYJ.flv]
th_JeepWranglerYJ.gif
[/ame]

The black is Krylon Fusion. according to the can it becomes scratch resistant in 7 days.

ya, I've used the krylon too, and it is pretty durable. nonds to plastic like soemthing on steroids.. you can see it in my "long verion build"..

I modified some spare wheel hubs from some axial 1.9 beadlocks to fit the Jeep. I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the front hub so I can really tell if I will use them or not. Here's a look at the rear one that is done.

hubs.gif

Thanks Taz!

Your welcome, no problem SMAxxin ! I like the look of the hubs.....I think you should go for it ! That's a cool vid, you should go backwards and then forwards real quick to see if you can do a wheelie.:hehe: I couldn't view the 2nd vid for some reason.

I got all of the wheels hubs mounted!

5555fffff.gif

More action shots

wwl45n5.gif

fgjhjk455k52km2.gif

77554623ghjkgfh.jpg

731596kdadghkhm.gif

sdfyg543k.gif

A future project????

zebra.gif

Back