My MGT project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Move

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Let's start by posting some general pictures. The first thing I need is fuel, I was always running a custom blend and now I don't know what to run!, any suggestions?
IMG_2094.jpg
Yes, that is a Titanium HRC chassis.
.IMG_2087.jpg
I always ran plastic as A-arms as they were the "weak-link". This thing has a lot of modifications, I threw the stock engine back in after I killed my last race engine. (I ran Fantom engines.)

I am also wanting to get a new engine, strongest engine that will fit! Although, I am thinking of just cleaning this one up and buying a 1/8 Truggy or 1/5 scale with the Rovan engine.

To be honest, after doing some research on parts availability compared to the parts I have, it looks like some of you would be better off with this truck! Then me spending my time hunting down parts. Fantom doesn't appear to make nitro engines anymore, MIP don't make axles for the MGT anymore and etc.. Shoot,, 2004 has been a minute!

IMG_2084.jpg

I can't believe they don't make this radio anymore! LoL I might ought to just clean everything up and put it in a display cabinet!

The most aggravating thing was the set screws working loose and losing the cross pin in the driveline. I started using heat shrink and electrical tape. (The electrical tape was easier way to go.)

The most aggravating thing was the set screws working loose and losing the cross pin in the driveline. I started using heat shrink and electrical tape. (The electrical tape was easier way to go.)

I really don't have issues with them ,it maybe because there is a little surface rust on them ,because I dont
use any Loc-tite!
I wont use any adhesive ,because it is hard for me to get them back out when I need to ,but ,I seen some
people that use a CA glue with good results!

Oops ,I just realized ,that I don't run stock cv joints ,aluminum centers tend to be unstable an woller out!

Truck looks awesome! You still can get MIP cv rebuild kits for this truck, I'll need to track down the part number, the same rebuild kit used in the savage.
LRP is still huge in the engine market, lots of engine modders out there too for them, there are quite a few race engines out there like reds etc but way to pricey for me, I am loving the .21R pro stock engine and the axial .28 spec 2s on mine.
ebay is going to be your best friend for parts, that or type the part number you need into google and should find something.
Loving my MGTs lol

Truck looks awesome! You still can get MIP cv rebuild kits for this truck, I'll need to track down the part number, the same rebuild kit used in the savage.
LRP is still huge in the engine market, lots of engine modders out there too for them, there are quite a few race engines out there like reds etc but way to pricey for me, I am loving the .21R pro stock engine and the axial .28 spec 2s on mine.
ebay is going to be your best friend for parts, that or type the part number you need into google and should find something.
Loving my MGTs lol
Thanks for information.
I noticed majority of the links to manufacturers in the sticky of this section where no longer in business. That really surprised me.

CCE29BD4-3DD4-443F-9509-19D384A4DD02.jpeg

You can see the aluminum wallowed out. I would Red locktight on the set screw in the dogbone and electrical tape around the OD. That ended up being the hot ticket until the hub wallowed out too much or the little pin would bend.

nice truck. i know where you can get mip cvd's relatively cheap. i bought 4 complete sets recently from them. stormer hobbies.

i also have a lot of new parts. if your looking for stuff

Thanks for information.
I noticed majority of the links to manufacturers in the sticky of this section where no longer in business. That really surprised me.
Yeah that aluminum just is to soft, it's nice to have a consistent weak point but at the same time it wears through them too quick. There is a company on ebay that sells titanium ones though, haven't tried them yet going to do MIPs on my 4.6 and titanium on my .21

The store is kind of pricey on their parts ,but hey ,if you have to have it ,then you have to have it!
They have some Mgt. parts ,you just have to sift through them ,thank God that they are in their
brand category!

Here is some more that may get bent in time ,pins & mounts ,the mounts tend to bend in the front!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-ASSOC...047104&hash=item33c52c2cdd:g:9EsAAOSwo4pYWGts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-ASSOC...413109&hash=item33c52c3558:g:eNsAAOSwhdRYWGya

Here is some hub carrier ,notorious for breaking on the front in time!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-ASSOC...207276&hash=item33c51bcd48:g:jVcAAOSw-0xYVwj2

This is the spare parts I have found so far. I know I have more boxes of stuff squirreled away.
I was about to ask, was there any changes between the 4.6 and 8.0 In the center driveline.
Is the Rivial share the same parts?
930679A9-5392-4ABD-90E4-6B795ECBE1F3.jpeg

The store is kind of pricey on their parts ,but hey ,if you have to have it ,then you have to have it!
They have some Mgt. parts ,you just have to sift through them ,thank God that they are in their
brand category!

Here is some more that may get bent in time ,pins & mounts ,the mounts tend to bend in the front!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-ASSOC...047104&hash=item33c52c2cdd:g:9EsAAOSwo4pYWGts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-ASSOC...413109&hash=item33c52c3558:g:eNsAAOSwhdRYWGya

Here is some hub carrier ,notorious for breaking on the front in time!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-ASSOC...207276&hash=item33c51bcd48:g:jVcAAOSw-0xYVwj2

Nice! I’m thinking I might try to “Doll” it up since I’m not going to be using it like I thought.

I want to start disassembly today.

Back