My full scale project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Well the time has finally come folks. At last I'm finally going to be able to do something I've been wanting to do for a very long time, upgrade my car. Although it's not my most preferred platform (I'm a traditionalist and partial to RWD sports cars) upgrading my '05 Civic Si is the only feasible option to having something fun AND fast. The car has always been fun to drive, just not enough go. All of my mods will be horsepower peformance related. I'm not doing any ricey visual stuff or suspension work as my Honda Factory Performance kit (dealership installed) is a very good suspension upgrade from stock Si. It handles well, has good balance, is predictable and still doesn't beat you up as a daily driver. The downside of upgrading this particular car is that the engine (k20A3) has a reputation for not having a very strong bottom end (and you know I like a good bottom end!) so I can't go overboard without risking blowing it up. I'm shooting for reliability. In stock form it's rated at a measily 160 hp (flywheel). Which is commonly known as right around 125 whp (wheels). My goal is just about double that to around 250-260 whp.

Next month I'm expecting to install a cold air intake and an engine damper. These are the least expensive items on my list. I'll actually be purchasing an intake that is meant for an Acura RSX-S as it's a little bit bigger than ones made for EP3's (02-05 Civic Si)

Yes please post pics as you go. If you turbo it, make sure you get it tuned first thing or it will most likely blow something quick.

If those engines are known for weak bottom ends as you mentioned, a properly sorted forced induction setup is going to be pricey and that's being polite. While I'd love to have something more fun to drive, it's just not practical for me right now financially, and besides, I have the bike.

If those engines are known for weak bottom ends as you mentioned, a properly sorted forced induction setup is going to be pricey and that's being polite.

Weak is too strong a word. Every engine has a weakest link and that happens to be it on this engine. The mods I'm planning are quite common and the power threshold I'm looking for is proven reliable so I'm not concerned at all about it. Ill be a good 40-50 whp below the upper threshold of what is considered "safe" for the k20a3. Everything planned is pretty much bolt on. No serious custom work planned. Keeping in mind that 250 doesn't sound like a ton but that is whp. I imagine actual flywheel hp would be easily over 300 with the mods and that's quite a bit for a DD subcompact.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Bottom ends on those should be good for around 8lbs shouldnt they? 250 hp in a small rig like that is alot, will be very fun.

This will decimate all after you put about $15,000 in it or more, if we have to overnight parts from Japan.

I'm honestly not sure what thespec intake pressure willI be but I have a feeling it wont be 8 psi. From what I've been reading its excessive revs that the bottom doesn't like.

$15,000 is waaaaaay past my budget. Ill be buying all new parts but that's about double what I expect to spend. I intend to do as much of the installs as possible.

You could be really movin pushin close to 300 whp, I wanna see this.

You guys seriously want a picture of the engine bay? Cuz that's all that's gonna change, except for the tailpipe of course. It also needs a little exterior TLC. She's got a few bumps over the years. Nothing dramatic, but definitely want to smooth it out. I'll have the body cleaned up after the engine stuff is done. Engine mods will happen over the course of the next year. We own our CR-V free and clear as of this week so basically I'm taking money that was previously going to that to work on my car for the next 12 months or so.

You bet.

Before, during and completed pics.

Ill get a shot here in a little bit. Its fairly clean as I just sprayed it a couple weeks ago.

Before

Before
-Bone stock engine bay

photobucket-5676-1342216516819.gif

if you do have "not having a very strong bottom end" just keep the rpm low, with good oil, and dont put to big of a cam in. a general rule i use with a stock oil system is do not rev it more than 1,000-1,500 rpm over stock rpm. just what have learned after decades of car work. if its a street car, DONT make it a race engine.