My first Nitro Car-----broken rod Need help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsnone1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
This is my first Nitro R/C car......I bought it used off of craigslist.....

My car flipped upside down, went to full throttle, and then died....

Engine was locked up, I tore it apart and found that the circle part of the rod had broken in half. Can I just replace the rod???

Also....what caused it to go full throttle??? What can I do to keep this from happening again?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

If it's just the rod, then yes you can replace just the rod (on most engines anyway).

As far as going full throttle, it could be a number of reasons. Servo died, Radio signal got lost, something got wedged in there holding it open, throttle arm broke....etc etc etc.

I would tear it all down and inspect everything before you run it again. Especially the motor for debris. Even a small piece of the con rod bushing will destroy your motor if you fire it up again.

ok, so the piston is broken as well.....the piston/sleeve is like $40, and I can get a whole new engine for $100, that would be the 3.3.......should I get that,. the 2.5, or the same engine that was in it..the .15?

The 2.5 is a .15. 2.5cc-.15ci. What kind of truck is it? How do you use it? The 3.3 is a nice upgrade over the older 2.5's.

I'm not a fan of the .15,but you'll need an adapter kit to swap in a 3.3 in it's place. How much you want to spend is your decision, I wouldn't put any money into a .15

It's a traxxas stampede

I have a complete,running .15 I'll sell you for $35 shipped,if you're in the USA. I'll get you a pic if you're interested.

I have a complete,running .15 I'll sell you for $35 shipped,if you're in the USA. I'll get you a pic if you're interested.

Sounds good to me......prob better of doin that since this is my first nitro car.......send me your Paypal and I'll senthe cash tonight!

Thanks!!!

Hell yeah. 3.3 + Stampede = outta control. 2.5 seems to be a perfect choice.