My first attempt at a track design

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

First off, let me say I am no artist... but here is a design I have come up with so far. The space is aprox. 125' by 95'. I wanted a dirt oval, and a Motor cross style track inside. Let me know what you guys think, and I can also provide a copy via email for you guys to play with if you want. I have not put any obsticles in place yet because to be honest I am not sure how to make it flow, so any ideas there would be great. Thanks again guys!

Tom

Track1.jpg

I like the sharp dogleg coming out of turn 2. Other than it's really straight. How wide are planning your lanes? I'm doing the math and it looks like your backstretch is about 13 ft wide. Is this for 10th scale or 8th scale? 13 ft is pretty generous for 10th scale I think.

Last edited:
I like the sharp dogleg coming out of turn 2. Other than it's really straight. How wide are planning your lanes? I'm doing the math and it looks like your backstretch is about 13 ft wide. Is this for 10th scale or 8th scale? 13 ft is pretty generous for 10th scale I think.

Well, I was hoping to have 6ft lanes. My drawing is definitely not scale. LOL I was hoping to run both 1/10 and 1/8 scale.

Any ideas on how to make things a bit less straight? Thanks

Tom

um... add more turns? hehe

If you draw it to scale you'll have a better idea of how much space you have to work with. You say your track will be 95' feet deep.. the way it is drawn so far you are showing 22 grids deep.. that about 4.3 feet grid. If you want 6 ft. lanes draw it so that they are approx 1.5 grids wide. Now you can see you have A LOT of room to work with. I like the idea of 6 ft. lanes. However, I would consider making the oval a little wider... maybe 8?

Take a look at some real world racetracks if you need some inspiration. Dont' worry about obstacles until you have a layout that you're happy with. Just my 2 cents.

That makes sense to me. I have class tonight after work, but hopefully some time this week I will rework it and post up a new setup. Thanks for the advice my friend.

Tom

Id throw a couple more turns in there. but i really like the multiple track idea! I might have to give a shot at drawing somthing up.

Hey Guys,

Here is attempt number 2. Again... I am no artist. Please comment away, and as always, advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys.

Tom

Track2.jpg

Now that is where I need the advice!! Thanks man.

Tom

oh, ok.... well... I'm not quite sure which direction your course is going actually. When I designed the track I want to build, I broke it down to what aspect would be the key to getting around every particular section. For instance, if you wanted a section of the track to be all about pure forward acceleration then it would need to be relatively straight and come directly after a very tight hairpin or chicane. My mind is always messin' with ideas concerning the physics of the handling of a car rather than the physics of the flight of one. Jumps and tabletops and mogules aren't really my thing so I may not be of much help. Now if wanna talk elevation, off camber, balance shift, and all that sort of stuff we can go but that's not really the major focus in off-road r/c. I like off-road but I like rally type stuff more, but racing like that hasn't really been popularized.

Last edited:
Thanks my friend. It gives me a few things to think about. I know when you plan your track, you need to think about rhythm and timing. So how I understand it, is that you want to place your jumps stratigically.... I guess I just need to take me time, and know that I can always add/remove jumps as I get used to running the track. If that makes any sense? LOL

yeah, you do. Strategically, some may be easier than others depending on where they are respective to turns, how high or long they are, or (something that is easily overlooked) the angle of the jump from the drivers stand.

Yep... exactly. I was also reading that jumps and woops are also used to slow and setup entries into and out of turns. There is definitely alot to it! LOL My first goal is to just get the track lanes set up. The field is grassing up quickly. Since my damn Trig class has started I have no time at all it seems. I have spent the better part of the weekend doing homework!

Track2.jpg

The last time I saw anything that looked like that, I had my face too close to the water in a Piranha infested river.

When I saw it, the first thing that popped into my head was IBS. :hehe:

That does look like a good layout Tom. I'd have trouble deciding what to put where as far as the obstacles go. I know the Trig class is part of your future, I say screw it, get the track done! :D

Looks like a good workable layout to me. In the center where the 2 lanes are right next to each other, I would make them criss-cross with one lane jumping the other. One of the local tracks does that, I think it's cool. Wish I had a place to make track :\

I see a lot of great possibilities there. Wherever tracks come close to each other, you should allow for opening a different route, or closing it with drain pipe. I think you should also allow for one long straightaway through the center.

From my experience your going to want at least 10 ft lanes. I'd go even wider on the back stretch if you can. All of the lanes on our track were at least 12 ft wide and at times with multiple vehicles it seemed tight. just my .02

If you have any questions don't hesisate to ask.

Back