My esc mamba max pro stuttering on full throttle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Flying
I have seen similar posts on the forum but I think my problem is different
Recently, after almost 10 years of break in rc car models I set some of my favorite models (which I kept :) ) one of them being a sct4wd team asso. and I noticed that the esc does not work properly, stuttering at startup when full throttle when it's on the ground, I haven't used it for over 8 years, then it didn't cause these problems.
I know it's old but at the moment it's all I have and I won't have money for an update soon, so I'm trying to figure out what I can do to make it work properly.
It worked crazy cool a few years ago.
Changed the capacitors on the esc with Castle capacitor pack, 880UF.
I tried switching the hole elctronic (esc, motor and rx/tx) on my other rc car that is an Carson on-road ce10 and it works without problems.
I also tried a trackstar sensored motor and it has the same symptoms.
Setup:
Team associated sct4wd;
spektrum dx3s with original SR3300T reciver;
Castle Mamba Max Pro esc;
Castle 4 pole 3800 KV motor;
pinion 12t;
spur 62t,
32 pitch.
Can anyone give me some advice on what can i do to get rid of this horrible esc behavior?

here is the video

Last edited:
have you tried a new battery and specs on battery also a non sensored motor can cause this issue.

have you tried a new battery and specs on battery also a non sensored motor can cause this issue.
I use 2s1p gens 50c, in the past i used 2s2p 100c, I will try next weekend with one 2s much powerful. Now that you say, I remember that when I bought the esc combo, the seller told me that the 2s2p 100c is at limit with this setup, for real race I needed some serious 120c 2s2p. I am coming back in the hobby after 10 years of break, it seems I don’t rememberd some important details. thanks allot. :)

at limit lol more bad info being passed to you. old school brushed esc dint like some higher powered batts but modern esc brushless have no issues in possible battery amperage .

At limit, I mean that was to small for how much amps this combo draws.
The seller was one of the best racer in county at that time, some serious tech guy.

At limit, I mean that was to small for how much amps this combo draws.
The seller was one of the best racer in county at that time, some serious tech guy.
Thats just not true. That kit isnt pulling anywhere remotely close to 500A (assuming its a 5000mAh lipo) but then again no LiPo can actually put out 500A either so Hooray for BS C Ratings!

Have you tried rebinding your Radio to the receiver? Have you tried different lipo packs?

I wil try rebinding the tx with rx, i don’t think that could be the problem because i use this tx/rx system with other cars and everything works well, even with same combo on my onroad and it’s burning asphalt without problem, this happens under heavy load with the sct 4wd, i make a list with all posible fix and try them in nex weekend, the rebinding will be on that list. Thanks:)

I wil try rebinding the tx with rx, i don’t think that could be the problem because i use this tx/rx system with other cars and everything works well, even with same combo on my onroad and it’s burning asphalt without problem, this happens under heavy load with the sct 4wd, i make a list with all posible fix and try them in nex weekend, the rebinding will be on that list. Thanks:)
Other than that the only thing I can think of is trying a brand new lipo.

Have you recalibrated the esc to the receiver? That tells the esc what the receiver is doing, what it's max forward is, what idle is, what max reverse is, etc. It's something you have to do any time you connect an esc to a new (or different) receiver. The esc needs to know what the receivers limits are so it can respond accordingly. When you calibrate, you need your throttle/brake EPA's set to 100% and your trim set to 0. Then do the calibration.

The esc doesn't remember a receiver, so any time you change receivers, this is something that needs done before you drive it.

It was from dx3s, changed the radio unit and it worked as new.
As a conclusion i want to sustain the idea that mm pro won’t work flawless with dx3s. I know that those old systems are not used anymore, just saying for those who still may have this setup.

Last edited:
Back