My Childhood Traxxas Rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

override

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I decided to crawl under the house today and pull out my old Rustler to see what kind of shape it was in. Let me just say it is horrible, the steering servo is froze up, the motor is getting there and even the plastic has corrosion all over it.

I remember this thing being alot bigger but then again I was a kid. I originally was gonna clean it up a bit and sell the sucker off. Although since then my plans have changed and I have decided to restore this truck! Short story is my girlfriend has a son and it looks like we are probably gonna take things all the way to marriage (way.....WAY down the road) and I figure this would be a great gift for him when he gets old enough to run R/C stuff. Ofcourse it will also be another project to have fun with, on top of that I wouldn't mind seeing what I can do with it.

Comparing pictures it seems that the newer model Rustlers haven't changed much other than the electronics in them. I'm thinking of upgrading with the Velineon waterproof system and just regular NiMH batteries.

Most likely I will throw an aluminum chassis and then put RPM everywhere I can. New waterproof steering servo is in order and ofcourse new gearing for the upgraded power. The motor I had in it when I was a kid was the Stinger brushed motor, I have never seen a brushless motor in action. Also I will need to get another body, the one that I had on it as a kid lasted about a week before it was absolutely crap. (EDIT: Come to think of it If I were to change chassis, and put RPM everywhere then I may aswell just build an entire buggy from scratch, so for now I may just upgrade the electronics and everything that is rusty, new tires and rims and call it good...I will just have to see what happens)

Chances are I will be spending about the same amount of money as the newer RTR kit if not more to rebuild this buggy but eh its all in fun and it will eventually be a gift that I can say I put alot of effort into.

So any advice, comments or criticisms are welcome!

Ofcourse now for the pictures....

DSC01161.gif

DSC01159.gif

DSC01158.gif

DSC01155.gif

DSC01157.gif

DSC01156.gif

Ok guys, so I spent about 2 hours yesterday and broke down the front end and cleaned all those parts. Left the house around 8pm and got back about 11pm. Immediately started breaking down the rest of the truck, took all the nuts and bolts dropped em' in some concentrated carb cleaner for about and hour and then proceeded to wire brush and sand the metal components. While I was letting the screws etc. soak I cleaned the rest of the plastic parts, cleaned the motor, servos, throttle control and the transmission gears.

Got everything cleaned up and what rust I could remove off the bolts (The RC Screwz Rustler Screw Kit is in need) and began assembly of the truck. I worked on this till 4am and finally called it a night.

Woke up 11am and went straight to finishing the truck, I finished it about 2pm and took it out for a spin. I can't seem to get the steering servo to turn fully to the left and the motor is on its last leg. It goes but it's not near the power it had when I was young. I remember being able to go in reverse, pull the trigger forward and pop a wheelie with this thing. Let's just say that doesn't happen anymore...lol

I took four of the stock springs from my T-Maxx and used them to replace the ones that were on it. They were in horrible shape, only thing really usable on them was the shock caps and springs. These shocks brought the front stance up quite a bit higher so I had to compensate a little on the back and moved the shocks in the 2nd to last hole on the a-arms. It has a level stance and much higher ground clearance now.

So I figured up the cost of the RPM stuff I want to get and that comes out to about $70 and then the Traxxas Velineon system is around $150. Waterproof steering servo will run about $30, a waterproof reciever box $10 and another link receiver for what like $30? I'm debating on what to do with the rims, I was thinking about sanding the roughness off the original ones and spray painting them chrome and get a set of the stock Rustler tires. If not that then go with the All-Star black chrome wheels and maybe some of the Rustler Talon tires which shouldn't run me more than $40 for a set of wheels and tires. Oh and I almost forgot, I need a body, I'll prolly go with a Traxxas ProGraphix stock shell. So that comes to a grand total of $330, I still have all the same batteries and tower hobbies quick charger that I had when I was a kid and believe it or not all of them still hold a charge pretty well!

Here are some pictures:

DSC01168.gif

DSC01166.gif

DSC01165.gif

DSC01164.gif

DSC01163.gif

DSC01162.gif

Last edited:
I'm gonna' be sick....:puke:
Man, that think looks like it's been sitting under a house for years, being peed on by Raccoons.
You're right, not much has changed.

I'm gonna' be sick....:puke:
Man, that think looks like it's been sitting under a house for years, being peed on by Raccoons.
You're right, not much has changed.

Well it hasn't been sitting under the house for THAT long...lol Prolly set under there for about 4-5 years, before it went under the house it sat in my closet for a LONG time(mind you the house is on a concrete slab and is enclosed for storage purposes) so I don't believe any raccoons have pissed on it or anything like that. Now I'm sure plenty of rats, cockroaches, spiders and god knows what other bugs have called it there home over the years...lol

OH man rolex head is spinning!

That stuff brush right off. Steering is overrated anyway.

Haha, steering is overrated...I guess I could just force them one way and make an oval track...lol

I can still see the life in her, its under that layer of rust and corrosion! Looks like a fun project though. :thumbup:

Theres always hope take it down to the last nut&bolt (clean clean clean) motor,esc,new radio,batt,and body be like new.Some advice give it to the girlfriend's son get you a new one that way when you get married at least one will be happy. :hehe:

You could also just send it to Rolex for a really good cleaning. He needs another project.

wow, i had forgotten about the mechanical speed control. Pretty sure i had that same Rustler but mine was sold long before it got to that point

Geez thats quite the antique, betcha if the American Picker boys picked that out of there they would have thrown it back in lol, I would throw it in the dish washer and see how it comes out then go from there

I didn't even pay attention to the speed control...wow, that's dated. Pretty much the same setup I had on my Tamiya Grasshoppers back in the mid 80s.

^^^ To the top!

Update with pictures, looks much better!

I didn't even pay attention to the speed control...wow, that's dated. Pretty much the same setup I had on my Tamiya Grasshoppers back in the mid 80s.

Yeah I believe that ESC's had just started coming out when I had this truck. I remember when dad bought the Systems Catamaran boat it was the first R/C we had an ESC in. It was early 90's when he got into R/C's

Last edited:
Wow that's looking good.
Tip: Spray it down with a 50/50 mix of Armoral and water. Not only will it look brand new, but it makes for a slicker surface that resists dust and dirt.

Sheesh, that ceramic resistor scares me. I made the mistake of touching it. Actually, everyone who got a car with the mechanical speed control made the same mistake.....one time. :whhooo:

its probably the speed control not making as much contact as it used to. did you happen to clean it up where the two metal pieces slide together?

Wow that's looking good.
Tip: Spray it down with a 50/50 mix of Armoral and water. Not only will it look brand new, but it makes for a slicker surface that resists dust and dirt.

Sheesh, that ceramic resistor scares me. I made the mistake of touching it. Actually, everyone who got a car with the mechanical speed control made the same mistake.....one time. :whhooo:

Thanks man! I plan to break out the armor all mix but I want to get it fully done up with all the upgrades first. As I'm tearing it back down and putting it back together I will wipe all the parts down. ;) Thanks for the tip though!

Yes, I touched that thing on accident all the time when I was a kid, many burnt fingers...lol not fun :hehe:

its probably the speed control not making as much contact as it used to. did you happen to clean it up where the two metal pieces slide together?

Yes I cleaned all the electronics with elcktra-clean and some duratrax electric R/C motor cleaner. The motor was not that dirty. I soaked the contacts in a gallon can of chem-dip carb cleaner and they came out like new, the other side on the other hand isn't perfect. I'm gonna be updating this to the Velineon brushless system so I'm not to worried about it. All the old electronics will be sent to the garbage can.

you said it didnt have the same power it used to have, was just a thought but then again as old as it is you probably dont remember how much power it did have compared to the new stuff :)

really old batteries might not be holding as much juice and they could be past their prime. and you said you had a tmaxx so going from the maxx to the rustler is a big jump.. When i use a faster rc and then take out the old ladies rustler it always feels slower than the last time for some reason... it should be sick with the new motor though. after that you might think your maxx got alittle slower when you switch back and forth... Looks good though for the age and the neglect.

really old batteries might not be holding as much juice and they could be past their prime. and you said you had a tmaxx so going from the maxx to the rustler is a big jump.. When i use a faster rc and then take out the old ladies rustler it always feels slower than the last time for some reason... it should be sick with the new motor though. after that you might think your maxx got alittle slower when you switch back and forth... Looks good though for the age and the neglect.

Yeah you do have a good point with the batteries, but I used a nearly brand new Traxxas 7.2v 1500 mah 6-cell. Ofcourse compared to the 7-cell batteries I used to run that could be a reason. Between the old motor, electronics and worn out bearings I'm sure it all adds up to it being slow. I can't wait to check out what a brushless motor can do!

Back