My beater On road build - Hpi RS4-2 build. Caution: lots of reading + pics

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooked on 240

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My beater On road build/2 other Nitro projects

So First off i bought this car completly stock off a friend last may with some extra parts and uninstalled upgrades.

My first plan was to K5.9 swap it. I bought the motor/mounts/2speed. And began tinkering... well it didnt go as planned, so i sold the motor and bought the Savage X 4.6 motor. (I've heard nothing but good things abuot this motor since the 5.9 over heats). Well after all of that i decided to keep it simple and use the motor for something else. (Hpi Nitro RUSH EVO, which has been sitting for 8 months...)

Anyways, Its been stock up until the accident, which can be found here. After that i rebuilt the whole front end with new suspension, front diff,arms,knuckes, etc.
I recently won a HPI parts lot on ebay within the last week. In that was soooo many little and big things i needed, also stuff i can't use bc there to savage or MT trucks. :(.
Ebaypartspile.jpg
So after 2 hours sorting that mess, i began the project again...

Mods/hopups/upgrades/whatever you want to call it.
-Rebuilt .15 (T-15) w/new clutch from HPI Rush Nitro Evo MT truck
-HPI Tuned Pipe
-Front suspension
-Rear suspension springs
-Alum. Front diff mount
-Alum. Rear Arms
-Alum. Front Knuckles
More to list as parts arrive :D

3.7.09 and still waiting on a bunch of parts.

Current Progress:
Added the Rear diff w/new bearings. New rear yellow springs, drained and reoiled shocks. Next i added the New front diff, and diffmount w/suspension. Notice the New front diff mount. I have NO CLUE what its too, but it fits AND is the same exact size as my previous bumper. So no more alum diff mount :(.

0307091727.jpg

0307091819.jpg

Last edited:
Beater build? :whhooo:

Looking great man! Can't wait to see more.

As usual, Dosnt look like much, but for the last 2 hours I've been assembling it again.

-Got the radio section wire tucked (best i can do til i make my own radio/center section).
-Installed front axles.
-Installed Rear 1pc axles
-Trying to find a way to get ALOT of tension on the belt that drives the front tires. so much play, its not even funny :(
-Steering parts
-Testing the motor placement...might make my own chassis plate and do a big block 4.6 conversion w/2 speed, but thats another day... :D
-Seeing how the rims look (rears painted by me)
-Rear and front body mounts
-New Throttle servo bc i broke my hpi one :(. So i grabbed an extra outta my parts box.

can't wait for the parts to be here. If they wernt coming from hong kong they would be here by now :angry: .Oh well.

Couple pics of before & after tonight:

Before:
0309091919.jpg

Front 1pc drive shafts (rears look the same)
0309091953.jpg

so far:
0309092355.jpg

0309092356.jpg

Crappy pics i know, but heres the 350z in progress..... Couple more things and its ready for paint prep
Look how far the rims stick out... :D
0310090410.jpg

0310090411.jpg

Last edited:
That chassis plate soooooo looks like a thunder tiger TS4 chassis. Hmmmmmmmmmmm i wonder.......

Got my intake/Lug nuts in. Still waiting for 6 more things.... WTF! Good thing I'm not in a hurry. But I've taken a break from the chassis it self, to try to finish the 3 un done boides i got floating around. The AE86 i bought last year, and the paint screwed up... and then i heard the next morning on the news there was a recall at local hobby shops for paint. FML. lol... 2 hours of sanding later...lol still need alot more done.

Ill have a HUGE update Saturday night with everything.

Last edited:
It does indeed look good bartek,

Hooked On 240, please don't repeat your little "Incident" any time too soon after completion of this build (re-build), it's looking too good to do that to again.

So much for an update rofl, ill do one soon.

Havent even touched anything rc except my Ae86 body i screwed up, so i painted the out side all black to cover everything up LOL.... Couple stickers. nothing over the top like normal...

I was board with crinkle black paint, what can i say...lol...
0316092143.jpg

Other than that I'm STILL waiting on parts that i ordered 2.26.09. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

Last edited:
Other than that I'm STILL waiting on parts that i ordered 2.26.09. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

Now that i DO know about !!! not nice. i once waited nearly 2 monthsn for 3 parts. Now i buy online instead.

holy crap... finally got my CF top piece in... 20 days later..

still waiting on a couple things and ill do a massive update..

Got the CF upper deck in today. Got bord around midnight and started swapping stuff over..

Ran into a problem.. --> no where to mount the reciever so I'm cutting the cf deck to make it fit..

As soon as I'm done with that, its on to wiretuck (again....for the 3rd time) and change a couple small things.. Ill be updating the first post, for the 3 people that care... friday or something when i have time....

Got a couple things in... STILLLLL waiting on the tires... its been a month today.. F'in redic... but I'm nice and wont harass them like normal people.. :) lol.

Got the CF graphite top plate drilled/cut. Got the reciver in and everything wired. Gotta fix the 1 speed or buy a 2 speed and I'm in business as far as getting it on road goes.

The 350Z body is drying of its last coat, and I'm working on a couple things on a friends rustler.. so pics tonight when i get back from dinner :)

Finally, i can't wait to see the pics of how the build is going!

Ok so heres my quote, unquote "massive" Update.. what a joke.. LOL.

While the 350z is drying and with nothing else to do... i got bored and mounted an exhaust for the AE86 body... This is gunna be the beater body when the 350 is not in use.

0321090231a.jpg

0321090231.jpg

0321090234.jpg

0321090232.jpg

Anyways heres the newest addition... well for this week anyways. CF Graphite top plate. @ ~15.22 GBP ( i think 22USD i payed).

Heres before...
0319090028.jpg

0319090029.jpg

0319090037.jpg

0319090037a.jpg

Heres when it came. Note the design of it.. soon after i cut and sanded to my specs.
0319090039a.jpg

0319090039.jpg

With not wanting to half ass it, i cut some out.. just enough to sqeeze in the reciever. No gaps. then mounted everything and bam! (sounds easy, but i was at it for ~2.5 hours. i was trying so hard not to cut the CF up top..)

0321090159a.jpg

0321090159.jpg

0321090200.jpg

More to come soon!... this weekend was very hectic. hopefully ill have more info and pics on a couple other things i didnt cover.

Last edited:
Back