Mutant Maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc0490

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello all i was wondering about the Mutant Maxx kit it looks like you can use a start box on it does anyone know anything about this kit or a info link-Marc

Here is a link to the HardCore Racing site and their info (sparse) on the Mutant Maxx:
http://www.racinghardcore.com/trx-mmaxx.htm

As for a starter box working on this conversion. At first glance, it might seem it could...but I would bet that the chassis braces would get in the way of the starter wheel. I could be wrong, and can't find any information one way or the other.

Good thing about the link above...you can navigate to a contact page and send them an e-mail with your questions. Then post what you find out, back here...I'm sure there are others who would like to know.

the only kit i know that u can run a staterbox on a maxx is the JT hybrid chassis

bryan

What excatly constitutes a "Mutant Maxx"???

Peace

If you take a look at the conversion kit, you will see that it has a slightly buggy related design to it.

You can use a starter box on a Mutant Maxx without a problem. The Muntant and JT hybrids are basically buggies with T Maxx suspension. The handling is light years ahead of a standard monster truck setup.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3213&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1694&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2377&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
I like the concept so much that I'm going to buy or build another.

Cannot wait to get mine going! I will start my Muntant after my EXO2 project is completed, porbably won't be until after the move.

ehh... I'd not buy the HCR mutant. My neighbor had one to race it and hated it. The HCR mutant doesn't have a front kickup to match the front blulkheads. His had several holes drilled in the wrong place and he could not get the gearing into a useable range. 12/49 gearing with monster truck tires gives a super top end and the clutch burning aceleration of a turtle on the mutant. The mutant is geared perfectly for 1/8 buggy tires not monster truck tires. He was going to mod the chassis for the 55t spur gear but HCR told him they do not recomend doing that and would not warantee the chassis if it had been modded in any way or give any customer service help for chassis that had that mod.

Funny if you call HCR they will tell you that its normal to melt clutches every race, front bulkheads don't have a kickup on a maxx (but their regular skids have a kickup), and their gearing is dead on. my neighbor sold the mutant and bought a dominator to race then bought the PL bulkheads to run maxx suspension and was very happy.

When I went hybrid on my maxx I went for the JT. I love it. Plus its cheaper and you can get all the needed Ofna parts on ebay for real cheap. 12/65 gearing works perfect on the track with maxx sized tires, everything lined up perfect and Yes it has a kickup on the lower chassis plate to match the front bulkheads.

SUp guys,

I'll be looking forward to c how these Mutant Maxx's turn out. It's not my cup of tea but should be sweet.

Peace

That's strange, HCR sells the kit that includes the 55t spur gear. I also set mine up with a Kyosho 11t cb. No one uses the stock Storm spur. But then again, you get what you pay for.

Yeah I don't buy his version of how HCR is anyway. I had nothing but great service and awesome products period.

Originally posted by humboldtblazer
Yeah I don't buy his version of how HCR is anyway. I had nothing but great service and awesome products period.

For the most part I'm VERy happy with HCR products in general. Their chit tends to be very overpriced like UE but you do seem to get what you pay for with them.

Peace

I'm hearing pros and cons about both rigs. Some don't like JT because of the short wheelbase and some don't like HCR because of gearing issues. Man I just keep hearing it over and over. I just happen to like both setups. By the way the 12/65 is 5.41667 and lower than the 11/55 at 5.0. So we have a .41667 difference in the ratio. I've yet to toast a clutch.

Conclusion ....... mines bigger .....:D

He Stretch....

Reminds me of that lame ass Missey Elliot song...cept change the chorus to "My T-maxx is bigger and better than yours". MOney isn't really an issue for me in this hobby but I don't like to be bent over to get good performing chit. If I could sit down with some of my buddies from MIT for a week or two we could probably figure out what is best for said application and what is best for overall performance.

I'd love to c some pics from yooz guys.

Peace

well my neighbor bought the mutant when it first came out. 11/55 gearing was not possible at that time because there was no 55t spur availabe. only the 49t spur gear was out there and HCR even recomended a 13t cb on top of that! Even when they did offer a 55t spur gear you could not even mount the 55t gear without cutting things up. Even the LHS that he bought it from sent back all their mutants because of customers having problems. I guessing since then they changed the kit. The old center top plate looked different thatn the one you have. Too bad HCR doesn't' list anything about changes or specs or anything usefull on their site other than they pretty colors.

I dont' know why people have such a problem with the "short" wheelbase of the JT. Its still about 3/4" longer than a stock maxx and if you can't keep it straight at speed I doubt its the length of the chassis that is the problem.

Did they add a front kickup on your mutant? it always bothered me that HCR left that off because the front bulks of a maxx have a kickup built in.

SV, I'm not sure what you are reffering to when you say a kickup. My bulks are HCR-03151 & 61 aluminun.
The center diff setup has been changed to accomodate the larger spur and it includes spacers to raise the diff high enough for the spur to clear the chassis. What your freind had was the stock GS Storm center diff.
Now with all of that said, I would like to know if there is a 10t cb for 1/8th scale applications. That would increase the ratio by .50 and just for fun I'd like to see what it will do.

kick up meaning the front end angles up. The Tmaxx has front end kickup, but the Mutant is flat like the chassis up front right?

Flat as a pancake.

Ok,

I know the JT, Mutant and standard Maxx are different animals.

If I do the Dynamite Conversion this week....I know the wheelbase is slightly longer but will everything else be same in terms of stability ect??

Peace

thats one thing that bugs me because someplace in the mutant setup something is set in tension. the bulks have a few degrees of angle built in and I know that aluminum bulks won't flaten out so I bet the chassis takes the tweak either in the top plate or the lower chassis plate.

I've searched around for other clutchbells but the smallest I have found and have is the 11t. I run the 12t though because its perfect for the straight at the track I race at. I would run reach top speed too quick running the 11/65 with 1/8 scale diffs but I love the aceleration out of the corners with that 11t on there.