mugen seiki .12

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romahahaha

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi all! I just bought hpi rs4 with "1. horse mugen seiki engine .12" Does anybody know anything about this engine. I'm looking for any info. People say it's very fast and expensive motor.

come on people. nobody knows anything?

Mugen makes quality stuff. It should be a great engine. Personally never seen one. Pretty sure Novarossi made it for them. Nova made the engines for Mugen up until a year or so ago. O.S. now makes the Mugen Ninja .21, don't know if they make any others for them.
What's the issue? Does it not run or do you not know what to run in it for plugs and fuel?

Last edited:
Actually it was GRP that made the ninja mills before O.S. But still a very good mill. The carb is extremely precise, sometimes when you think it should be leaned 1hour it only takes a nudge, it's that precise. It has a very narrow tuning window so arm yourself with some patience, but it is worth it.

Here's something a member of another forum I use said about turbo plugs.

Sirio/Picco/IDM/LRP/Nosram/Ninja/GRP/Trinity/Mega have a Picco taper

RB/Novarossi/O'Donnell/OS/JP/Dynamite have a Novarossi taper

Picco glowplug has a wider taper than the Novarossi, and it will leave a small gap between the button and glowplug if you use wrong plug.

Any hot plug with a Picco taper should be used. Unless the plug that was used was a Novarossi taper, then you should stick to those plugs.

I know it's kinda confusing I only found out about this about a year ago, but it's pretty important if you wanna avoid a tuning nightmare.

Last edited:
GRP's are rebadged Novarossi's.

Nope note in your life. GRP's are or should I say was made by GRP. They don't share any parts with Novarossi. Could it be your thinking if RB, they used to be solely based on Novarossi blocks. Some of their new engines are made by Force.

The car just arrived. It says NOVA m12 on it. Didn't have a chance to to start it yet. It looks like it will need tuning because previous owner messed up the carb

It does have tons of compression thou.

Ok! the lsn, hsn and idle screw are leaned all the way. how should I adjust them to atleast start the engine.

Please help me

Wait I thought you said it was a Mugen engine?

Hmm after some investigating Scrogg was right. Novarossi did make engines for Mugen, but that was before GRP did. So the engine you got has a few years on it.

3 turns out on both needles should get you in the ballpark.

Wait I thought you said it was a Mugen engine?

Hmm after some investigating Scrogg was right. Novarossi did make engines for Mugen, but that was before GRP did. So the engine you got has a few years on it.

3 turns out on both needles should get you in the ballpark.

Previous seller told me it's mugen 12, but on engine it says NOVA M12. I'll try to start it with 3 turns out for each needle. Thank you.

Thank you all for your responses.

Novarossi made .12 engines for Mugen for several years (including the MT 12 line) and the parts (for similar engines - if same bore & stroke/exhaust type) are interchangeable.
Novarossi also made similar engines for HPI and Mega.
They all look like Novarossi's - have a purple cooling head (if stock head still on it) - and the .12's are usually marked Made in Italy.

Your engine is probably 7 to 10 years old.
I'm still able to find parts that fit these engines.

Novarossi made .12 engines for Mugen for several years (including the MT 12 line) and the parts (for similar engines - if same bore & stroke/exhaust type) are interchangeable.
Novarossi also made similar engines for HPI and Mega.
They all look like Novarossi's - have a purple cooling head (if stock head still on it) - and the .12's are usually marked Made in Italy.

Your engine is probably 7 to 10 years old.
I'm still able to find parts that fit these engines.

Is it really that fast?

Yeah - fast enough for me.
I'm a basher and not out there racing top notch talent - so having the latest and greatest isn't necessary and honestly beyond my ability to take advantage of.

IMHO - These were some of the first modern engines that really changed the engine market for small block engines (.12's).
Out of the box they have legit power and rev to decent RPM's (36-38K).

They also take well to mods and last forever too.
The crankshaft by current standards leaves a lot of room for improvement.
Mod the crank and cylinder and you're up there with the newer engines.
I've found new unused ones for under a hundred bucks - which leaves a lot of room for an economical "modded" engine.

You can slap in some ceramic bearings - add a turbo head if you want - you're haulin...

Yeah - fast enough for me.
I'm a basher and not out there racing top notch talent - so having the latest and greatest isn't necessary and honestly beyond my ability to take advantage of.

IMHO - These were some of the first modern engines that really changed the engine market for small block engines (.12's).
Out of the box they have legit power and rev to decent RPM's (36-38K).

They also take well to mods and last forever too.
The crankshaft by current standards leaves a lot of room for improvement.
Mod the crank and cylinder and you're up there with the newer engines.
I've found new unused ones for under a hundred bucks - which leaves a lot of room for an economical "modded" engine.

You can slap in some ceramic bearings - add a turbo head if you want - you're haulin...

Thanks for lot of usefull information.
Also, do you use start box to start it? Is there any way to convert it to a pull start?

Depends upon which engine you have.
Pull start engines have a different rear cover and crankshaft than a bump start only engine. Plus a OWB etc...
When they came out, about 1/2 of the side exhaust engine models were bump start and the other 1/2 were pull start.

I'm not aware of any of the rear exhaust engines of this era being pull start out of the box and the parts list (see below) doesn't list pull start parts for a rear exhaust.
Pull start engines have a different rear cover and crankshaft than a bump start only engine.

Here's a cross reference for Novarossi parts numbers for this era of engines.
http://www.rcbaby.com/npnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=28

Back