Motor, ESC advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbgarry

RCTalk Racer
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
  2. Scale Builder
Hi, I'm new to pretty much everything rc these days, dabbled when i was younger.

I shall be buying a build kit, Gmade GS02f in a week or so, I'm not sure what motor or esc to use, this is my first start to end build

Will be used for msotly trailing and crawling, i need a steering servo and a 2 speed shifter servo.

Any advice would be appreciated

I dont want cheap, middle of the range pricewise would be good.

Hi, I'm new to pretty much everything rc these days, dabbled when i was younger.

I shall be buying a build kit, Gmade GS02f in a week or so, I'm not sure what motor or esc to use, this is my first start to end build

Will be used for msotly trailing and crawling, i need a steering servo and a 2 speed shifter servo.

Any advice would be appreciated

I dont want cheap, middle of the range pricewise would be good.
Welcome to the asylum. For electronics, i would look at HobbyWing for ESC's. As for motors, it depends on if you want brushed or brushless. For brushless, there are actually some very good low priced options available, from a multitude of companies. There are also higher priced varieties from companies like Castle. I would look into what the hobby shops (HobbyTown, Horizon Hobby, AMain) have available, and what the better crawlers out are using for electronics, and go from there. Axial, Traxxas, and even Redcat Racing make decent crawlers. I know alot dont agree with me, but, even some of the cheaper stuff is better than it used to be. It used to be, avoid the cheaper stuff at all costs, but, now it isnt as important. I dont run crawlers, but, all my stuff runs GoolRC or Surpass hobby 3650 brushless motors, and HobbyWing or Arrma ESC's. For servos, i use the cheap 20KG and 25KG metal geared ones from eBay, and havent had any issues with them. For a radio, either the DumboRC or the FlySky FS-GT3B.

I use the range of electronics in my crawlers and everything else. I have a hobbywing brushless set up in my dr10 drag car a castle system in my 4tec. I use goolrc in my bullhead and hobbywing dual brushed for my clodbuster. All work great. I also use a lot of flysky radios. Good value for around 40 to 60 for a whole system. Servos I use savox but have used much cheaper ones as well with no issues. I have 30 dollar waterproof savox servos in my grasshopper and they work great. Hope this helps. Long winded I know

I have a flysky fs-gt3c, 3 channel here just now, i watched a few youtube videos on the gs02f, some say what they uses, ie brushless motor with inbuilt esc, but nobody mentions what kv, 25kh steering servo is mentioned alot, but no idea about what weight shifting servo i need, I'm looking for something fit and forget and water proof.

as i said my flysky is 3 channel, how many channels will i need for, steering, motor control and shifting? I've never wired a set up before, I've always bought rtr apart from the tamiya cosworth i had in 1996, maybe i was smarter then, or things were simple :D

For 1/10 scale, Ima slut for castle esc's and holmes revolvers. My advice will cost you money. Copperheads are around $120, and mamba's are more like $180. Motors are $75 for a stubby, and $100 for the big daddy. Totally worth it. You'll never lack for power or modulation.
I'll cheap out on servos. the Amazon specials have treated me well. I've run 20's, 25's, and 35's (a bit slow) with no real complaints. I'll get a real servo someday, though.

For 1/10 scale, Ima slut for castle esc's and holmes revolvers. My advice will cost you money. Copperheads are around $120, and mamba's are more like $180. Motors are $75 for a stubby, and $100 for the big daddy. Totally worth it. You'll never lack for power or modulation.
I'll cheap out on servos. the Amazon specials have treated me well. I've run 20's, 25's, and 35's (a bit slow) with no real complaints. I'll get a real servo someday, though.
i will try find some waterproof cheap servos then, also i want more power than i need, but no idea what motor to get, i see 1800kv and 4000kv, google melts my mind, everybody says something different.

Start in the 1800kv-2500kv range for 3s. You can tune it to your desired style with pinion size to start. My capra is sporting a mamba x & an 1800kv slate. Trash panda has a mamba micro & https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/br...er-540-s/revolver-v2-snubnose-2500kv-10p.html . Trash6 has a copperhead & https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/br...40-l-classic/revolver-540-classic-1450kv.html . It's got torque for days!

I'm building a gspeed v3 on capra axles soon. I'm thinking about putting a copperhead & 3500kv slate in it to see how that works. It sounds high, but wheel speed is kinda handy. I might end up swapping out the 1800kv from the capra (since I'm stealing its axles for the gspeed build), running the 3500kv in the capra, and making it more of a bouncer with straight axles.

Who knows what I'll end up doing?

The little shorty 1500-1600 mah 3s packs will run for at least 45 minutes, so you don't need big basher batteries- unless we're talking trx-6. Those follow different rules. I'll be experimenting with shorty 4s packs this spring.

You'll never lack for power (torque) with a revolver. Their low end modulation is unbelievable. And I like their noise. Alot of dots get connected for me.

i will try find some waterproof cheap servos then, also i want more power than i need, but no idea what motor to get, i see 1800kv and 4000kv, google melts my mind, everybody says something different.
These are the 20KG servos i use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403108694541?hash=item5ddb268a0d:g:AEUAAOSw-1VhKMGz&LH_BIN=1 They are waterproof, and have all metal gears. I use these in my trucks and some of my boats. These are the 25KG ones i use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403108692283?hash=item5ddb26813b:g:5xMAAOSwt5FhKMGe&LH_BIN=1

These are the 20KG servos i use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403108694541?hash=item5ddb268a0d:g:AEUAAOSw-1VhKMGz&LH_BIN=1 They are waterproof, and have all metal gears. I use these in my trucks and some of my boats. These are the 25KG ones i use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403108692283?hash=item5ddb26813b:g:5xMAAOSwt5FhKMGe&LH_BIN=1
i have the very same ones in my Amazon basket, oddly $16 for you and £16 for me in the UK

I also watched a video on how to set it all up and bind the system

i got a shopping basket built on modelsport.uk to,
hobbywing-quicrun-fusion-foc-system-2in1-1800kv
overlander-2900mah-111v-3s-35c-supersport-pro-lipo-battery

i already have a Fly Sky FS-GT3C transmitter and reciever sitting here

I second the Castle/Holmes Hobbies options and I would look at Savox for a servo.
i seen some of the castle stuff, rather pricey in the UK, near £300 for the motor and esc, i will try some of the stuff i have in mind and see how it performs, I'm trying to get my head round 2s and 3s, watched a simple video of a trx4 on 2s, 1st and 2nd gear, then on 3s, 1st and 2nd gear, other than a 3s being faster, is that all it is?

i seen some of the castle stuff, rather pricey in the UK, near £300 for the motor and esc, i will try some of the stuff i have in mind and see how it performs, I'm trying to get my head round 2s and 3s, watched a simple video of a trx4 on 2s, 1st and 2nd gear, then on 3s, 1st and 2nd gear, other than a 3s being faster, is that all it is?
it can be faster and will give you little bit longer run times.

Welcome to the RCT forum bud. Glad you joined us in the crazy fun world of RC. A build is a great way to learn the in and outs of your kit/rig. Keep this In mind on the back burner.
"There's nothing more expensive then the cheap part you decided to buy."
Then have to go and buy it again and again.. because the price seemed really good but the part isn't really nice..Trust me there's guys do it all the time here. Take your time do it rite the first time. So you don't have to do it again.. because there's some many different opinions and suggestions.
Being in the UK the prices are higher for some reason. Thats crazy There's a guy @Stigtheone
That lives in the UK. He might be able to point you in the rite direction to get good arts from over there..sometimes it's better to save a little more money for the pricer electronic parts. Knowing they are quality made. And not have that thought of I guess I can just get a new one if it goes out.. I personally would go castle or Hobby wing.. hope your able to get threw the build need anything thing or got more questions just ask bud we are always here to help...

Thanks, rc is not a big thing in my area, there is not a single rc shop in my area, although to be fair there is some in Glasgow, ( a hour away ) my build will be a learning curve for sure, one of my friend's ran a model shop with his family 8 odd years ago, he has offered help if needed, another mate is handy with the eletrical side, hes modding my 3 channel flysky to make it a 8 channel

Thanks, rc is not a big thing in my area, there is not a single rc shop in my area, although to be fair there is some in Glasgow, ( a hour away ) my build will be a learning curve for sure, one of my friend's ran a model shop with his family 8 odd years ago, he has offered help if needed, another mate is handy with the eletrical side, hes modding my 3 channel flysky to make it a 8 channel
I messed around with modding my GT3b back in the day but the firmware that was around back then made it a pain to use. I ended up putting it back to stock firmware. I hope you have better luck with yours. :)

Mate has the same one, hes modded it to 8ch, said its been fine, I'm for a scale build, want to be able to turn the lights on and off remotely and have a wnch on the front, spare channels will always be handy, also button mapping will be good to

Mate has the same one, hes modded it to 8ch, said its been fine, I'm for a scale build, want to be able to turn the lights on and off remotely and have a wnch on the front, spare channels will always be handy, also button mapping will be good to
It's definitely a good idea to have multiple channels on a crawler rig. Only problem with the mod to the flysky gt3-b is there's really only 3 separate buttons that should be used for channels. With the mod you will be having to use you trim buttons or one button for two separate channels it will get confusing. You should look at the flysky gt-6 it's only 30 -40 more then the gt3-b with 6 dedicated buttons for each channels

It's definitely a good idea to have multiple channels on a crawler rig. Only problem with the mod to the flysky gt3-b is there's really only 3 separate buttons that should be used for channels. With the mod you will be having to use you trim buttons or one button for two separate channels it will get confusing. You should look at the flysky gt-6 it's only 30 -40 more then the gt3-b with 6 dedicated buttons for each channels
My plan has changed slightly, i just bought a new TRX4 Sport RTR, i still plan on getting the flysky modded, that way i can have the switches and buttons where i want them. ordered a 8 ch transmiter earlier today for it