More tmaxx engine troubles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkyd Basher

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys, so i am having more trouble with this new 3.3 engine. We bought them at the same time time, both sealed and broke in properly and mine starts and runs great all the time. His in the maxx on the other hand is starting like crap. Kinda acts like a fuel issue but i have checked fuel lines, tank and carb, and all seems debris free and working fine with no holes or leaks. Glow plug is also new and glowing fine, but the motor turns over for ever and starts eventually. I also went back to factory on the settings. What should i do, where should i look? Lost and aggravated. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also to add to it, when it does finally start it runs great and at about 250-260 degrees.

Check for leaks around exhaust boot and pipe. If they have holes or gashes in them it kinda kills the vacuum to draw fuel to carb. Also check carb seal again and fuel tank seal as well. Any small leak will cause big tuning and overheating issues.

ok will do. Like i said though it runs great once it gets started and know real signs on the temp gun of overheating but does kinda seem like a prime issue.

Mine did the same till i found a nice gash in the exhaust boot from header. Wouldnt prime right at all. Took way too long to get it started.

So i went to the extreme, swapped the motor out. What do u know same thing. I then swapped a tank and fuel lines and it fixed it. can't find anything wrong with either though. Did the soapy water air leak trick and found nothing either. So good new is it is fixed and this motor runs stronger and smoother than i ever could get the other to. But the bad news is is that i dont know what the problem was,Just bugs me not to know.

I'm having simlar probs with the s maxx I built with a freshened 3.3
Itll run great to start then bout half way through she starts gettin bubbles in the line and leanin out but I'm using the standard tank atm so I might change it and see what that does
What tank are ya using apparently the stock tanks are prone to cause issues

Remove the steel nipple from the fuel tank that the pressure line from the pipe goes to the tank, look to see if the hole is drilled all the way through the plastic tank with no plastic burs in it blocking the passage I had a tank that after the hole was drilled the tank was blocked with plastic burs, after I cleaned up the passage it was fine, it had the same problem like your saying you have.. .

I'm having simlar probs with the s maxx I built with a freshened 3.3
Itll run great to start then bout half way through she starts gettin bubbles in the line and leanin out but I'm using the standard tank atm so I might change it and see what that does
What tank are ya using apparently the stock tanks are prone to cause issues

I just swapped to another stock tank. I will check that with the pressure nipple threads though. Just weird cause i have used that tank for quite some time and the problem just started about 3 runs ago.

I gas lid o-ring is prone for not sealing.

^^ true but you can tighten the hex bolt under lid and pinch seal a little more to get it to seal better. I have also used a thicker oring seal on one of my tmaxx tanks and fixed the seal leaking issue.

So i took fuel line and plugged other hole and put some presure to it with soapy water all over everything. Nothing no bubbles at all. I took the metal nipple out of the tank and looked fine, no loose extra plastic anywheres.Only thing i noticed was little worm type pieces from the oring were all over the lid. Think it was adjusted a lil to tight. Maybe it was sucking some of that down in there. Thats all i can come up with..

Possibly. I would replace seal just incase.

One thing I always do is listen to the seal release when I lift the lid. I know it's weird, but if you pay attention you will hear it un-seal when you lift. I have had the o-ring to tight where it didn't seal.

"It's more than a hobby...it's an addiction!"

^^^+1 on that, I do it too, I always listen for that vacume sound when I open the tank, and I always make sure to clean the tank and lines and around the card area and when I'm done running it I look for any leaks, stains, or wet stops on the fuel delivery sys...