Monster Pirate Servo Saver Mod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
MP Servo Saver Mod

The how-to can be found here

Discuss away.

Example Comment

This is an example comment, I have written this to just get an understanding to how popular articles are to be laid out :)

Regards

DislexiK

(www.dislexik.com)

Curious as to why you wouldn't use this kit instead: Ofna Servo Saver

It comes with the bearings.

I hope it's the same, since it's the one I just bought today... I'll probably install it tomorrow. I really like your instructions. Nice and clean and easy to print out.

Olds97, Yeah you can use that Ofna Kit that already includes the bearings. At the time of the write-up, I couldn't find that kit anywhere & had to use the one w/out the bearings. It will definitely work & is the exact same thing. You shouldn't have any problems at all.

Later...:mex:

I installed it last night, but it kind of screwed up my toe in. Now my tires point out. It was too late to bother with last night, I'll fix it tonight. Plus, I thought of a better way to connect the saver arms to the turnbuckle connecter bar. I just don't like the thought of thread bolts being the pivot point of a high stress area like that. It's going to wear out either the arms of the servo saver, or the cross bar prematurely. I'm going to attempt a mod of a mod... normally, my ideas work out for the better, but tend to look a bit shabby. Function before appearance

Thread bolts shouldn't be a pivot point. The thread bolts should be going through a ball of some sort.

Now I see what you were talking about. In this instance, the only wear will be in a location that will not be weakened for quite some time. There are axle screws that could be used in place of the bolt. They are basically the same length bolt with a smooth shank and only the tip threaded for about five or six threads. I'll see what I can dig up and post.

It may not be weakened for a long time, but it was a relatively sloppy fit. Using the 3mm bolt did leave a lot of slop on mine.

I'm going to try tonight to use 1/8" SS rod with collars instead of bolts. Kind of like I did for quick release shocks on my maxx. They held up to a real thrashing. Never lost a collar, but I did bend a shaft once when using an aluminum shock tower.

I'll drill the holes out 1/8" of course, but that should minimize slop by quite a bit. Plus, the pivot point will be a little bigger shaft and not threaded which will make it stronger and not so prone to grinding away like the bolt.

I just don't like depending on a bolt without a capture (nut) or collar with something like this. Loose the bolt, loose control and/or loose half a day of play.

Thanks for the input though.

You can easily lose a collar, and in all of my time playing with screws of this sort and nylock nuts...I have yet to lose one. Just my experience.

I do like your idea though and would be interested in seeing the finished product.

You wouldn't believe how much I've put my collars through on my shock towers, never lost one. I've had to hammer a few off though. From grinding on concrete and stuff. I was surprised as well.

I'll take pics. Although, my dremel is fried, so it may not be as pretty as I would normally go for.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the slop caused by using the threaded screw. However, I haven't had any problems w/ my setup but there is always room for improvement. At the time that I did the mod, I only used the parts that I had available to me & didn't feel like waiting for other parts to come in. (you know how that goes).

You could try these bolts, that way the smooth part will slide up in the linkage and the threaded part can have a bolt put on it. Plus, they are 4mm so it would be a little stronger than the 3mm. You would also need to order some 4mm nylon lock nuts to lock the bolts on.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTW52&P=7

Later...:mex:

Saved me the search. Those are exactly what I was going to post up.

I would suggest adding those bolts as part of the parts needed as most people will not have them just laying around. I would be one of those people who just got to the part where I need them...and don't have them :hammer:

That's what I ended up using... too lazy to take it all apart again. And I didn't have enough 1/8" collars laying around.

Back