MOA or no?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Do you have to have an MOA set up to be competitive or can the single motor kits still be competitive? Also if you're running MOA is clodstall the reason that people run dual ESCs?

Does teh XR-10 have to be hop up alot to be competitive?

Clodstall can be rid by simple gearing adjustments. Dual esc is good for mixing is their advantage.

As far as moa vs shafty its mainly about the middle weight of having a trans vs not. A nice setup shafty can do awesome for sure. A stock xr10 with good electrics is competitive yes but electronics choice can change that.

I keep hearing people say the XR10 needs alot of hop ups to be comp worthy and that it has weak diffs. IDK if thats true or not...seems to be a mixed review out there.

I've been looking around and it doesn't seem like theres really much choice in crawlers. The only ones I've seen that appear to be popular are the berg and the bully and the berg is discontinued from what I've read. Theres the XR10 but like I said before some people say yes and some people say only after alot of hop ups. Then theres the Integy clod and the Venom creeper but I've never been fans of either of those companies. Redcat has one out and while I've heard that their quality is improving I think it would have to wait and make sure that all their kits are quality and not just a handful. Then theres the Losi Comp Crawler and the Night Crawler but those seem so limited compared to an MOA. Still for what Rob is asking for his I am mighty tempted to go that route but I was told Losi hasnt come out with a DIG for their crawlers yet.

I havent felt this confused since I first got into electrics trying to figure out how to tell if a certain ESC would work with a certain motor lol...If losi had a dig I would probably buy Rob's Night Crawler. Without a DIG though it seems as if your giving up a big advantage over kits that do have them. In fact I'm really unclear as to why Losi would make crawlers with out making a dig kit for it.

and just to be clear, clodstall is when one set of wheels is turning and the other isnt when they both should be, correct?

Last edited:
Actually the losi's can have a servo actuated dig that works real well. The xr10 needs bearing and gear upgrades right from the start, which couple with the cost of nice electronics, makes it kinda lame imo. I did it but I was more than happy to move on and go back to bergs.
You dont have to have dig to beable to crawl well though, theres even a "no dig" class, Sportsman and 1.9 compers can't have them either. But yeah they are worth having.
Id say if you arent gonna buy Robs losi to get you started, keep looking for a used already built comper, but only a xr10,losi, bully or berg, do not go any other brand, you will regret it.

I'm sorry what is clodstall?

I had an XR but never ran it stock, I immediatly dumped a pretty penny into Vanquish Products for it just because Axials come kind of weak (i.e links and knuckles).

Clodstall is where you are running 2 motors off of one ESC. sometimes when one of the axles gets bound up then most of the power ends up going to the axle that has the least resistance causing the one that is bound to partially or sometimes completely stall. With two separate ESCs you eliminate that problem since they are both getting power seperately. I've also read that running 1 tooth less in the front or running a lower turn motor like a 35T in front and 45T in the rear will also help with clodstall.

I've heard that the new Futaba PKS radio mix function really helps with "clodstall" because of upgraded software. Anybody have first hand feedback using the new PKS for crawling?

Hi. I am new to this forum and I am also new to the idea of Crawlers. I have many (go fast brushless trucks) but recently I find myself interested in crawlers or maybe a trail rig.
What is MOA?
Thanks in advance.

Motor on axle. Basically one motor running front two wheels, and another running back two wheels.

I personally am a fan of ole school shafty crawlers. Still rocking my ax-10 from the month they came out.

I have a MOA in the shelf that is in need of plenty of care. The issue for me is I have so many shaftys I never really get time to build the MOA, Seems to me Shafty can be used for both comping and crawling/bashing. The only time I hear someone mention MOA is for comping

I would agree with Phins Fan. I have a little Losi Mini Rock Crawler and love to go and bash on the local dry creek beds. I should mention that it has never been run stock, but I have no fully stock rigs anyway.

MOA Comp rigs have a definite advantage when it comes to comping, but it is like said before really only for RC crawler comps and practicing for comps. If your going for more if a trail rig then look at the different versions of the Axial SCX10.

Sent from my Samsung Admire

The SCX-10 is a great rig. Here are some pictures of mine:

20121016_161541_zps9c247199.jpg

eba0ea4d.jpg

1a3cbd40.jpg

It's the Proline Wrangler (JK) shell.

Back