MIP CVD's won't stay in drive cup

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVTSupermaxx

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I can not keep my "bones" in the drive cup. I am using the U.E. widetrac, and the CVD's are supposed to fit. When I "squat" the truck the bones almost touch the back of the cup.

I have taken the cup and slid away from the differential as much as possible. But they still pop out. I have even lowered the height of the truck, but as soon as I jump. They come out.

What is my problem?

I'm just thinking out loud here.

If this is happening on all 4 I will ASSUME you purchased the bones for an original T-Maxx.

I'm not familiar with UE arms. Is it possible that they are longer than the 2.5 arms?

Check to see if you pillow balls are properly installed. If they are all the way out to the ends this will add a lot of length.

Did you install the center shafts as well and get the cups reversed? Look to tee if they are longer.

Again I'm just thinking out loud.

I still have stock sliders on front. I bought the CVD's and widetrac at same time from Stormer, and the seller told me they were the right size.

Pillowballs are installed by instructions from the suspension kit. ( but yeah, they are snug up to arms)

I can't understand it. When they come out, I can try to put them back into the cup but there is no way I can even "pry" them back in. I have to take everything off and reinstall.

I didn't get the cups "confused" b/c at the time I did not have the center shafts.

Maybe this is a little more info. to go on.

Pics?

Are you getting any bump steer?
This is when you push down on the back of your truck, and the bottom of your tires don't stay flat on the ground, the outside edges go up and change angle of the wheels. (Camber).

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have a dig. camera.

Thinking out loud like FastEddy, but check the bearings in your steering knuckles. They each hold two and if the inner one is missing, that would move the CVD towards the outside of the truck and further away from the cup. I know this is a stretch, but it never hurts to check all the simple little things first. I have a set of MIP shiny CVD's for the 2.5 Maxx. I have taken some measurments, maybe you can compare them with yours.

Outdrive Cup - 3/4" long
Axle - 1 9/16" long
Bone - 5 1/8" long

Total assembled length - 6 3/4" (this is with the bone all the way in the cup).

Hope this helps.

I never thought about that one. :thumbup:
Look at the bump steer as well. If the turnbuckles are mounted wrong when you bush down on the truck the bottom of the axel carriers are pushed out. this may be causing them to pop out.

Your Turnbuckles should be mounted with the ball end on the bottom side of the axel Carrier for both the front and rear, and on the top of your drag link for the inside front.

I checked the lengths on everything, and they measure the same as yours military.

Bearings are there and the turnbuckles are mounted as you stated.

I just don't know. Thanks for your input though.

Ok. here is what it is. the UE suspension travels much further than stock 2.5 and old tmaxx stuff. I have UE stuff including the UE/Ofna Super shocks. You'll have to make up some limmiters. for the mean time I used zip ties to limit the ammount of drop the suspension gives.

There was a really nice setup in the gallery of the http://www.maxxtraxx.com/ forums but they seem to be down at the moment.

UE is also working on making a set of limmiters. But its easy enough to make your own. I'll make some this week and post some pics showing how to make your own out of automotive throttle cable and electric crimp ends.

Rich
Fellow Supermaxxer

Yeah, I got it straightened out. I lowered my truck ( too low for my taste) and that solved the problem.

I wonder what you are supposed to use if you want to set your truck up at MAX height??

Is there anything w/o using limiters?

Since the CVD's won't work. And I"m guessing UE's CVD's are the same length.

can you edge out the drive cups so the are barley attached to the ends of the shaft? Then tighten down real good. That is a way to extend just a little bit if you have not already tried this

I already have them as far out as I can.

Thanks for the input though.

It runs fine now, but when the truck is "squatting" I'm pretty much dragging skid plate.

what shocks are you running? Do you have pics of your setup?

I'm using 4 UE/Ofna shocks. Sorry I don't have a camera.

Oh well, it goes forward so.........

Can you measure the length of your cups?
We can compare them to the different brands we are using. This may help you find a set of cups that are longer and eliminate your issue.

On the other hand I find it hard to believe that a company like UE would design a product with an issue like this.

Have you contacted UE to see what they say?

Well

Well I don't think its a UE issue since we are using MIP CVD's instead of UE CVD's But, I can mic mine today.

This is what I did find since I was wanting to pull the truck apart and clean it.

Thinking I had blown bearings in every hub carrier....I found about 3mm of play. I pulled the cotter pin and went to replace the bearings and they were all fine?

So what I found is for some reason MIP machined the shoulder on the stub axel back more or located the pin hole out too far. So today I'm headed to Lowe's hardware to find some shims.

and in playing with it, those 3mm's seem to be what will keep my axels in the drive cups. However, since the drive cups tend to wobble under torque due to a poorly constructed diff, they may still fall out? I'll just have to try it tomorrow.

I just lowered the truck and loctite'ed the cups down. It goes forward and thats kinda all that counts. Next time I'll try UE CVD's.

No, I haven't contacted UE about the problem. The reason, is I really don't believe it is his problem. I still have stock sliders in front and they work fine. Which means it isn't his susp. problem.

If I was going to contact anyone, it would be MIP. But to save myself some time and hassle, I'm just going to eat this one as a bad buy.

Thanks though for everyone's help. You have been very helpful.

Post some pics of that bad boy! I bet its sweet!

Back