Might be selling the slash if I get this new car (Team Associated B74.1D, Might be getting into racing?)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
As the title says, might be selling the slash if I get this new car. 1. I would have to get rid of it cause my mom would be mad at me. 2. The car is fun and all but I upgraded mostly everything and still aint holding up. (It will be 7 years old this xmas) If I do sell the slash I will keep some of the electronics and various other parts. I will keep the max10 sct, servo, 272R transmission, radiolink rx, and some other parts like the driveshafts. I will put back in the stock electronics and transmission and sell it as it is. Right now the slash goes for $230. Hoping that it can sell for around 200 maybe more. With the parts I am keeping, I will keep it for the rustler and the new car that I might be getting. The new car that I am looking at is the Team Associated B74.1D. Yes they just came out with the .2 but the .1 is on sale at amain for $300 ($230 less than the .2) There are other choices out there like the TLR 22x-4 for $432. Yokomo yz4 sf2 for 300 something and the xray xb4 for $620. IMO the B74.1 will be a good starting point for me for racing. There is a clay track 45mins away from me. There is BeachRC when I go down to myrtle beach for vaca. There is a few carpet tracks in PA. I will probably go with the Dirt and if I go to those carpet tracks Ill just change some stuff over. Electronics: I have the Max10sct from the slash which would work. I just got my Radiolink RC4GS v3 so I can use that (ill upgrade to a futaba later in the future) and I got some extra amazon servos which would work. All of these aren't the competition side of things but I will upgrade in the future. I want to do MOD (8.5) but if needed I can always do stock (13.5)
For the competition electronics I had been looking at the Hobbywing XR10 Stock/Pro combos. rx/tx: Futaba 4pm/Sanwa MT5, savox servo. So this might be my time to get into racing. So that is the racing side on to the bashing side. With bashing I still have the rustler which me and my dad will share. ( In the past few months he has been working and not having any time) and the mini b which might be my dads track car. If I don't go with the racing side I had been looking into the Arrmas. Like the 1/8 6s kraton and the 1/8 3s infraction. There is others like the TLR tuned typhon. So I got until Sunday night so we will see what I choose to do (probably the racing side). Also with selling the slash I plan to do facebook market place and do local meetups. if I get nothing Ill do shipping then ebay if needed.

B74.1D
Futaba 4pm
Hobbywing XR10 Pro 8.5 combo
Hobbywing XR10 stock 13.5 combo

Uh, it's a long post, but let me try to give some suggestions.

First, I don't think you can get a lot over 100$ for used slash if someone shop for used car they are not willing to pay price of a new car for 7year old used. So I would just keep it. If slash is not reliable associated will be much weaker.

If you are new to racing I would suggest 2wd short course or 2wd buggy, actually slash is probably the best choice for someone to get his feet wet into racing. You can run spec slash class, rookie, or even short course. 4wd buggy is not difficult to drive, but you will have to run against more experienced guys, and it's not fun to be always last.

If you want to save money I would strongly suggest used rc. You don't really need leatest and greatest, so couple generations old race truck is awesome. For example 4years ago I bought sc5m with all electronics, futaba 3pv radio, reedy battery for 220$. I still use it, actually today I went to the track after a long break. Or 3 and a half ago I bought tekno eb410 with a bunch of upgrades, tires box of spare parts, all electronics and extra hobby wing xr10 pro for 280$. Or last week I bought super nice associated b6.1 roller with a bunch of upgrades, spare body wings and some spares for 100$.

Also since slash is too weak for the way you drive I would buy tekno eb410.2. they may not be the fastest today, but definitely most durable.

When it comes to servo, amazon special is not going to cut it, believe me on this. You don't need the fastest servo on the market, it's enough 0.10 second but you need coreless servo. I like savox 1258tg or 1257tg but they are now much more expensive, I think around 80$ and they use to be 60. I haven't try power hd b4, but I had good luck with cheaper power hd servo and I would probably buy that, or power hd r20. Nothing cheaper than this will work, believe me, I tried running cheap servo and it was undrivable at the track.

I would also suggest to use futaba radio from the beginning. I am using entry level 3pv and I am super happy with it. Due to relatively expensive receivers I tried using flysky radio and it doesn't work. I can't really explain why, I don't think it was the latency, probably it's more of the feel, but it was so easier and faster with futaba.
For electronics hobby wing max 10 will not work, it's sensorless only. Just stock is an awesome esc for 13.5. when it comes to motors, there is a lot of good ones but my personal choice would be Trinity.

When it comes to batteries I would stay away from protek. People call them propuff. Mine puffed in small 2s brushless boat. I recently ordered chnl 3 shorty lipos on sale for only 19$ each, used them today and they are good performer but they are relatively heavy. If I was to spend big money on a battery it would be reedy. 5 years ago a friend of mine found one slightly puffed reedy in trash at the local race track, most likely from charging at 40amps. He glued the case together and he is still using it for bashing. I have one super old square pack, probably close to 10 years old and still works

Last edited:
True. Trying to sell my slash local fb market place. And eBay. I got a friend that had been using his cheap new bright ones. Might sell it to my friend. I searched fb marketplace. Found a couple of xray sliders for about the same price as the black Friday associated. I would rather take the time and build one up cause I always wanted to do that. Building a kit up is like building a giant Lego kit but harder and better? And also I can see how the car is put together. When I first got the mini b I was kinda confused on how everything went together.

Hey DavidB,

"I had been looking into the Arrmas. Like the 1/8 6s kraton and the 1/8 3s infraction. There is others like the TLR tuned typhon." Quoting you out-of-context here, hope you don't mind.

Arrma's a good consideration for how you run your cars. Typhon is on sale at Amain for $100 USD off. Not sure if it's the TLR, but it is the V3 3S BLX. Looked at that rig more than once myself and it has many You Tube 3S and 4S vids for review.

Regarding getting into racing. Have you been to the track and sat through an entire racing program? And watched Q'S and Main's for the class you are interested in? Sometimes those events can stretch beyond a full day into the evening. Have to be ready to commit the time as well as the money.

Regarding sales on eBay. Been my experience an RC sells for what you can get out of it. Not necessarily what it's worth. Generally, my sales strategy on eBay is to post up a used item at 1/4 the retail cost of a new item. E.g., a product selling for $100 gets posted at $25. Postage these days is the deal killer a lot of times. I've gone high on the listing price and offered free postage for rollers. Buyers seem more interest to deal then.

Good luck in your decision and hope all goes well in your RC future whatever you decide. Cheers. 'AC'

As the title says, might be selling the slash if I get this new car. 1. I would have to get rid of it cause my mom would be mad at me. 2. The car is fun and all but I upgraded mostly everything and still aint holding up. (It will be 7 years old this xmas) If I do sell the slash I will keep some of the electronics and various other parts. I will keep the max10 sct, servo, 272R transmission, radiolink rx, and some other parts like the driveshafts. I will put back in the stock electronics and transmission and sell it as it is. Right now the slash goes for $230. Hoping that it can sell for around 200 maybe more. With the parts I am keeping, I will keep it for the rustler and the new car that I might be getting. The new car that I am looking at is the Team Associated B74.1D. Yes they just came out with the .2 but the .1 is on sale at amain for $300 ($230 less than the .2) There are other choices out there like the TLR 22x-4 for $432. Yokomo yz4 sf2 for 300 something and the xray xb4 for $620. IMO the B74.1 will be a good starting point for me for racing. There is a clay track 45mins away from me. There is BeachRC when I go down to myrtle beach for vaca. There is a few carpet tracks in PA. I will probably go with the Dirt and if I go to those carpet tracks Ill just change some stuff over. Electronics: I have the Max10sct from the slash which would work. I just got my Radiolink RC4GS v3 so I can use that (ill upgrade to a futaba later in the future) and I got some extra amazon servos which would work. All of these aren't the competition side of things but I will upgrade in the future. I want to do MOD (8.5) but if needed I can always do stock (13.5)
For the competition electronics I had been looking at the Hobbywing XR10 Stock/Pro combos. rx/tx: Futaba 4pm/Sanwa MT5, savox servo. So this might be my time to get into racing. So that is the racing side on to the bashing side. With bashing I still have the rustler which me and my dad will share. ( In the past few months he has been working and not having any time) and the mini b which might be my dads track car. If I don't go with the racing side I had been looking into the Arrmas. Like the 1/8 6s kraton and the 1/8 3s infraction. There is others like the TLR tuned typhon. So I got until Sunday night so we will see what I choose to do (probably the racing side). Also with selling the slash I plan to do facebook market place and do local meetups. if I get nothing Ill do shipping then ebay if needed.

B74.1D
Futaba 4pm
Hobbywing XR10 Pro 8.5 combo
Hobbywing XR10 stock 13.5 combo
You aught to get a Slash 4X4 Ultimate. Try and get one used as a roller if you’re keeping the electronics. Mine is definitely race able, it has decent tires and is very durable out of the box. I only broke a suspension arm and shock shaft hitting a rock full speed.

You aught to get a Slash 4X4 Ultimate. Try and get one used as a roller if you’re keeping the electronics. Mine is definitely race able, it has decent tires and is very durable out of the box. I only broke a suspension arm and shock shaft hitting a rock full speed.
I still have my slash 2wd and everything. Trying to get it tuned and dialed for high bite / traction carpet. But its just to much money and time. I guess you really can't make a basher into a racer and a racer into a basher. (Well, depends on the car) So my slash stays a basher right now. I might get it set up for some carpet drag racing. For off road carpet. The issues I have, it has way to much traction (tires should help, I'm running pin tires front and rear so thats prob why. Schumacher Mini Pins SC) and it likes to catch air while going over ramps. (Parachuting)

Now if I wanted to race at the local clay track, it would be doable. Clay is alot lower traction then carpet so it should hook up pretty nice with the tires I got (Jconcepts Smoothies SC) and traction compound. The only thing I'm worried about is the parachuting. A new body might help. The one that I'm using now (traxxas clear body) catches air alot. And I cut up the wheel wells up and stuff so thats more air under the body.

I been eyeing lots of SCT and 1/8 kits anyways for both racing and bashing. I really want to let go my rustler and slash and move on. But that one part in my heart says no, i gotta keep them. Even though they are extreme money pits right now. I mean, a SCT or 1/8 kit is far more expensive then a slash, but it will be easier and less money to run in the future.

Back