Mid Air Blade Failure

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
I had a blade fail mid flight on my 450 over the weekend. I was about 30 feet off the deck, and as soon as I went into idle up, BOOM! It failed right at the root and pulled out of the grip. Needless to say, the heli essploded after that. :D

The damage list so far;

Tail servo gears or possibly the whole servo
landing gear
main shaft
feathering shaft
tail boom
torque tube (probably bearings also)
tail boom supports
rudder control arm
and blades of course :hehe:

Boom.jpg

Frame.jpg

Yeah it does suck Randy, but I'm pretty proud of myself. I said one nasty word quietly so the others at the field wouldn't hear it, and laughed it off. It is a hobby after all LOL.

I only wish I had been there. Those main rotor failures are really fun to watch.
Funny thing is, no matter how high up the heli is when a blade flies, the flier struggles with the controls till it hits the ground.
There's no controlling a brick.
Good heli, solid frame. Most of it is salvageable.

I only wish I had been there. Those main rotor failures are really fun to watch.
Funny thing is, no matter how high up the heli is when a blade flies, the flier struggles with the controls till it hits the ground.
There's no controlling a brick.
Good heli, solid frame. Most of it is salvageable.

I don't know how I missed this Rolex. Nah, I knew it was done, and just hit throttle hold to minimize the what I did have control over. If helis have taught me anything, it's that sometimes it's best to know when to hit TH and watch it fall. Good news though, it's fixed :)

8DD32D20-E62F-4BCA-BE55-62A3E6CD81E6-15178-000000C7DF45A6D0.jpg

Glad to see your Heli is fixed but I am GLAD I am not into Heli's or Planes... I'll stick to 4 wheels on the ground " LOL "

Thers a Huge Grass field in the area where I go bashing with my Rig's & on Saturdays & Sundays there's alot of guys out flying there stuff & I'll walk over & check em out this 1 old guy has a pretty awesome looking P-51 mustang all painted up from the movie RED-Tail's he told me he put the bombs & rockets & drop tanks on P-51's in the service & he's a pretty good pilot if I might say.. Another guy come's with a pretty big B-24 Bomber that he co-polited when he was in the service.. My bashing buddy said he thinks it's some sort of WW-1 WW-2 R/C club flyers & everyone in the club brings that type of era plane to fly.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, and Grave, I like the challenge of the helis. They are hands down THE hardest hobby I've ever taken up. And yes, they're all or nothing when something goes wrong, but that's just part of it, and they're the only thing that taught me patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love flying my little birds. I personally have a harder time with fixed-wing aircraft than I do with helis.