MGT Shock set up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heliops69

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey I was looking for some help with shock setup for bashing. Currently I am running aluminum shock bodies and caps (upper and lower), I have been running mixed gold and copper springs with one preload clip on each as well as 80 weight oil. The issue I am having is the rear shocks do not like to rebound and have been rebuilt with all new seals, are full of oil and not leaking. I am guessing it is to heavy weight of a shock oil or worn out springs. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen and knows the cause, as well I am wondering what types of setups people are running for bashing?

Cheers

I currently have the Proline setup for mine and unfortunately they stopped making them years ago and they are extremely hard to come by even used. I hear alot of people say good things about integy but I've never run them myself. 80wt sounds alright and typically the associated copper springs are the stiffest they make. I bash myself and dont typically have too many shock issues. Good luck finding something! MGT's RULE!!!!!!

Thanks for the info, if anyone else has the same problem it turned out to be not enough holes in the plunger inside the shock for 80 weight oil so you either have too drill a few extra holes in the disc or use a lighter weight oil

80wt sounds a little on the thick side but it depends on your level of bashing/jumping as well. I typically only hit small jumps on our homemade track and a couple around the neighborhood so I dont really need the extra stiffness like others

Well I thought I had the shocks fixed with bigger holes, not the case. Tried a 50 weight oil and rebuilding all the shocks again but no luck I have heard that the team associated shocks are not of the best design or quality and am wondering if anybody has tried the hot racing big bore shocks as I read on here that the blue star ones and the integy piggybacks both leak and bend very easily.

Something else you can keep in mind is that you can use the Tmaxx shocks as they are the same size as the MGT's. That kinda gives you all sorts of different options to look at. Havent tried Hot racing or blue star. I personally dont care for integy on a functional part as I've experienced some crappy stuff in the past. If your looking at something to dress up a rig than integy makes some sweet looking stuff just not durable at all. My .02

Thanks for the input, I ended up going with the Tmaxx big bores, they are a little bit shorter but handle really nice and for almost the same price as stock plastic associated shocks the seem to be much higher quality to me (however time will tell)

Back