Mgt disappointment

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoroner

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok.....i bought a rtr mgt 8.0 from towerhobbies....the truck itself is great..but.....that 8.0 engine I'm not happy with...to me it has no real power....and i dont like the shocks.....so I'm doing a overhaul on it...new engine and shocks...want to know what yall thought abt the 8.0 engine

I personally have never driven the 8.0, but i have heard mixed reviews on the engine.

I wish I could help but I don't have any personal experience with this model either. Did you properly break the engine in? If not there is your issue. It may also be a tuning issue because I did research that engine and it should have plenty of power with some to spare.

I own both the .28 and the 8.0 version of the MGT. They are a great rig. The 8.0 is a heli engine and they don't make very high rpms. they are torque monsters, that's why they are geared so high much higher than the .28 version. If your getting very poor performance out it though it's prob a tuning issue. If your looking to upgrade the engine the LRP.32 is awesome in the 8.0. That's what I am running in mine. Also A FOC is highly recommended for any of the MGT's. And if you upgrade the shocks the factory tream shocks are very good quality. Here is a vid of mine with the Lrp.32

HulkmAX NICE vid....I'm going with the lrp .30 modified with ercm pipe....going to change out shocks....dont want to get FOC love my reverse...going to start overhaul soon when i get spare time...will upload pics as i go

Thanks. If your going with the .30 get the .30X it has a higher rpm range. Here's my Tmaxx BB running a .30x. with ERCM pipe. I wanted to keep my reverse to but after blowing apart to sets of 2 speed gears I removed it.

Last edited:
My 8.0 runs pretty hot a little to hot for my likin but has killer power. I added a peace of old cooling fin out of a old stereo , fit nice and tight and wired it on with copper wire took 10 degrees off the engine.
I but will replace with 32 when she blows.

016.jpg

013-1-1.jpg

013-1-1.jpg

HULKMAXX did you need a different engine mount for the 32 or did it drop right in your 8.0

If you plan on running the .32 in the 8.0 you will need the .28 mgt's engine mount. You will also need to have a longer throttle linkage. FYI bicycle spokes work awesome for the throttle linkage. As for the power issue yes with reverse making that much power it will not take it for long. Mine broke with the stock .28 which is no slouch either.

Last edited:
If you plan on running the .32 in the 8.0 you will need the .28 mgt's engine mount. You will also need to have a longer throttle linkage. FYI bicycle spokes work awesome for the throttle linkage.

Thanks my friend that is exactly what i needed to know :thumbs-up:

No prob bro. I have some throttle linkages already made up if you need some I can mail you a couple.

No prob bro. I have some throttle linkages already made up if you need some I can mail you a couple.
WOW that is mighty good of you , but to be honest with you I have a bender and lots linkage supplies and pretty good at making linkage .
But I have to say that is very very cool of you offer , you are a good mofo , if you weren't 3094.29 mi a way I would stop bye and shake your hand buy ya a cup of coffee and then rip out neighbors lawn with the MGT's LOL

So after watching some vids I'm have a change of hearts.....lrp .32 modified it is with ercm pipe....@hulkmaxx all i need is mgt 4.6 engine mounts and longer throttle linkage...far as ercm pipe just get it savage style cause i want it to still run out the back of truck....

Dubro sells custom linkages that you can cut to custom lengths. Theyre real cheap too. I used them when I had to make a custom set for my mini MGT when I switched from a rotary carb engine to a slide carb engine.

2 much not worth wile and toss the 8.0 into the drink and b done with it, good fishing sinker mabye. pisse me off best 2 go with eclectric or better nitro moter. good advse there,

So guys i purchased the lrp .32 drag modified today can't wait to see the power

Back