Me ranting about driving

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintd

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Is it me or are drivers getting worse and worse every day.
It seems that everybody has a ME FIRST attitude on the road and it’s really starting to get to me.
I am by far not a saint. But when I see a turn signal for a lane change, I don’t mind taking my foot off the throttle to let them over. If I see someone coming out of a parking lot in traffic, I don’t mind letting them out. I always stay to the right of the roadway to let faster traffic pass. I will stop at a green light to avoid gridlock if there is traffic in front of me. If I make a lane change I will make sure there is plenty of room for the change and signal ahead of time.

What I see on the road is quit the opposite.
When I put on my signal for a lane change it becomes a race. If I’m trying to pull out of a parking lot people would rather stop directly in front of me then to just let me go. Traffic is moving fine until you get to the guy in the center or left lane doing 35 in a 65 wile on his or her cell phone. People no longer signal for a lane change and when they do change lanes it’s usually about 3 inches off you’re bumper.
Nobody known’s what yield or merge mean anymore.

WTF is going on with today’s drivers.

This is stuff I see whether I’m in my car or a tractor trailer

Trust me amigo, here in California, it's 10 times worse. Especially here. We're getting all the idiots from LA moving up here. I wish they'd leave their horrible driving habits where they came from.

It seems we have the games like Grand Theft Auto to blame. My nephew, 16 years old and on his learners permit, got into his first traffic collision the other day. The guy stopped short in front of him. It was a 50/50 blame scenario, since my nephew was on the guys' tail. You see, my sister, his mom, taught him how to drive... She drives like a nearsighted Nascar driver on illegal drugs. Brakes hard, tailgates, the works.

That is why you should only be able to get a driving license after taking lessons from a certified driving instructor.

Man, CA drivers suck. Now, my parents bought me a new car for school when I was 17 (Last September). Do I keep my car clean and taken care of? Bet your ass I do! These damn people that weave in and out of traffic, and tailgate the hell outta you, piss me off! And, now I drive down to San Francisco every Friday, which REALLY sucks. Maybe not the drivers as much as the pedestrians, but I guess thats for another day!

I'm hearing what your screaming ClintD!

I drive like your first paragraph, but I rarely am in the right "slow" lane. I run 110 miles a day for my commute to work (55 each way, I know, redundant...). 65 miles of it are pretty much open highway at 80MPH. The rest is stop and go on a 4-5 lane free way with an average speed of 20mph. Very frustrating every day.

I swear that the car in my sig has some sort of cloaking device that makes it appear much smaller or invisible to people on the outside. On any given day, I get cut off or almost side swiped or almost rear ended at a minimum of 4 times going in and 5 times coming home, that's in the non-snowy/icy months. Very exhausting. I always leave at least 2 car lengths in front of me in the bumper to bumper traffic. That old girl doesn't stop on a dime! I get every idiot and his sister trying to jam in front of me.

I don't have to drive but about 3 miles to work.
Had some bitch couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 feet off of me today. I'm old, but I still drive the speed limit. I wanted so bad to slam on the brakes. Somebody get's behind the 'ol lady like that, she will slow down to 10 or 20 mph.

What drives me nuts is the people who will block intersections at stop lights and not using their turn signal. last person that tried to cut me off on the freeway got a taste of what a powdercoated winch bumper does yo your car and it wasn't pretty. I try to give people room but what can you do when they cut you short and the guy behind you is riding your ass. One of these days I am going to just panic stop from 80 when that guy is riding my ass. (thought I saw a deeer in front me officer)

You guys in Northern Cali haven't seen nothing, yet. I live near the Texas/Mexico border. In Mexico the cars have 2 speeds, on or off. He who has the loudest horn gets there first. I have 3 or 4 near misses a day on my 20-minute drive to work EVERY day.

Man I miss living in the midwest, California sucks. Fresno is a pretty good size city, nothing like LA or San Fran (aka The *** Bay), congestion is getting worse. Heaven forbid you end up at a 4way stop sign at rush hour, its everybody's turn at the same time. Forget about going anywhere if the power goes out at a stop light, it's freakin insane. I get to work early, usually 0615, listen to the morning trafic report on the radio and there is half a dozen accidents within a couple of hours. Highway 99 used to be the Cannon Ball Run of the state, it has gotten much better but is still nuts.

That is why you should only be able to get a driving license after taking lessons from a certified driving instructor.

Driving is far from difficult. If you can not get the general idea of how to drive and use common sense. then no instructor in the world will make you a better driver.

Most "certified instructors" don't teach you how to drive. They just teach you how to pass the test.

One of these days I am going to just panic stop from 80 when that guy is riding my ass.

I did that... twice in 10 years of driving my commute. Both resulted in the guy behind me flying off the road at 80mph into the grassy ditch.

The first time, I figured if I'm clipping along at 80 (speed limit 65) and I'm passing a big rig, there is no need for some moron to get on my bumper and flash his lights at me and give me the bird because I'm going too slow...

The other was some kid that kept swerving at me, tailing me, locking up their brakes in front of me and laughing at his 2 buddies with him. Again, at 80mph. He was in a 4runner (mid-size SUV). He went in the ditch and busted up his front end hitting those reflector things.

I really don't have a clue as to what provoked them to mess with me... something about big red that people just don't like. My next car will be a Lincoln instead of a Mercury. I do like the color though...

ClintD, I'm picking up what you're putting down, my friend! Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt!

I think what has been getting to me lately is the fact that people have forgotten how to negotiate a simple 4-way intersection. The township I live in just made a newer 4-way, and every day I just about get tagged because some asshat can't keep track of the batting order! How flippin' hard is it? PAY THE F*** ATTENTION! I get so pissed off about people at that intersection (which is close to where I live) that when I get home, I am all riled up!

I'm with ya Clint, all the way!

What we are experiencing is probably the fact that our great country has lost it's foundation, which in my humbled opinion was to look out for each other. When the regular Maine Housebitch goes shopping with her Town and Country you better dress up in steel, because she will neither stop nor yield nor accept any living thing, while negotiating dinner with one of her FATASS girlfriends, allthewhile being on the cellphone, trying to maneuver a vehicle that will cost her husband and her monthly payments just forever.
Maine is only really terrible during tourist season, when NY and MASS try to teach people that speedlimits are really just fun and parody, not to be taken seriously.

No one cares for each other anymore... it's just about them, and their little lifes. Being 2 cars further is more important than anything. Try to interact with your neighbors, here in our town thats almost like nailing a raw egg onto a railroad track. Peoples minds are full of other poop, thats why they focus on their goals and concerns only. And then there are foreigners that will under no circumstances stop driving as if they still lived somewhere else on the globe...

And then there are foreigners that will under no circumstances stop driving as if they still lived somewhere else on the globe...

Did you know that the drivers test is given in 48 different languages. There is also a audio test for those that can't read. I didn't even know there were 48 different languages.

Aren't the street signs in English?

The CDL test is only given in English and Spanish.

Here's another funny tidbit of info.
I have a license to haul hazardous material. When I went to renew my license I had to go through this new process of a background check and finger prints.
This I think is good and bad.
The good thing is that anybody that lived in America and had a criminal background on record will not be allowed to haul a 80,000 lb vehicle loaded with gasoline. The bad part is, If you came to America and got citizenship, then you have no criminal record.

And not for nothing, but how many terrorist make sure they get the proper license and permits to haul hazmat before knocking out a driver and steeling his rig?

I kind of derailed my own thread, but you see what I mean about the DMV and drivers.

The good thing is that anybody that lived in America and had a criminal background on record will not be allowed to haul a 80,000 lb vehicle loaded with gasoline. The bad part is, If you came to America and got citizenship, then you have no criminal record.

I hate to disagree, you will hardly find resident aliens who came to this country legally have a bad criminal record. Germany for example is considered a friendly country (even though they do not share the hype for war) and my wifes background was checked like: hiya!
All the rules we face with drivers, foreign pilots and just about anyone that wants to do anything here have done nothing but headaches. They will not and are not build to prevent bad people from doing bad things. They are there to show taxpayers how good of a system we could have if we started focussing on the real issues.
As long as American Customs Officers are insulted and put in jail for shooting a darn illegal in the ass I will have trouble sleeping... and while the ACLU makes sure we do not profile based on race, our TSA agents and Police Officers read handbooks on how to meet and greet our "neighboring and not so neighboring visitors" appropriately& in their language? LOL!
How far will we go? Go to Turkey, Greek or Arabic countries and see what happens when you start arguing with a man of the Law... make sure you bring pictures so they can identify you later. Make sure you argue in english with him and yell at him to make sure he get's the fact that you live by your own countries rules not his. Make sure you call a wellfare laywer to protect you from this evil right away, Arabs love paying taxes for stuff like that as much as we do!!!

None of this has anything to do with the fact that it's by far not only the foreigners making our roads dangerous... it seems to be our own citizens being ready to sue the living crap out of everybody for any reason any time of the day and night. I believe it's hard to look out for "thy neigbor" if everyone must be first and best.

Last edited:
Back