Me and my new heli don't get along...... I will not lose

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-MILLER

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So i recently picked me up a used blade SR from fleabay and got a pretty good deal on it. Well after new blades,new swashplate, new tail motor, and other small items I cannot get the mofo to fly. I can hover if i really work hard for it but all of my trims are so out of wack it don't last long. Another big problem I have noticed is the crazy tail motor. Its not a direct drive and its speeds are way off from the main motor. I was very excited to be getting back into rcs and helis but man I'm getting pissed off lol. Even the guys at my local shops have wished me luck with the Bsr. I guess I will have to bring it to them to get it set up hate having to do that but I'm losing the patience lol.

bsr.gif

Last edited:
Is that your first heli?

^^THIS is spot on. If this is your first heli, then collective pitch helis are very hard learn to fly. The SR being a smaller heli just adds to that. I had one, and it was a decent flying little heli, but I've gotten away from motor driven tails, and went flybarless on all my helis. Makes a world of difference.

It's my first collective pitch heli. Flew it some last night for a few minutes until the tail motor died. Will be going get another today or tomo.

So i recently picked me up a used blade SR from fleabay and got a pretty good deal on it. Well after new blades,new swashplate, new tail motor, and other small items I cannot get the mofo to fly. I can hover if i really work hard for it but all of my trims are so out of wack it don't last long. Another big problem I have noticed is the crazy tail motor. Its not a direct drive and its speeds are way off from the main motor. I was very excited to be getting back into rcs and helis but man I'm getting pissed off lol. Even the guys at my local shops have wished me luck with the Bsr. I guess I will have to bring it to them to get it set up hate having to do that but I'm losing the patience lol.

bsr.gif

Hi,
Ah, reading this thread, reminded me of this: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/best-rc-helicopter.html
Stay away from single rotor collective pitch birds with electric tail rotors - they are rotten to learn on. You need a belt driven or shaft driven tail rotor with variable pitch to react fast enough to correct for the ever changing (at times violent) reactive torque loads from the the main rotor - yes even more so when you're first learning to hover and fly.
A motor driven tail rotor simply can't respond fast enough to keep the tail steady. The tail holding and control is vague and twitchy at best causing constant tail blow out. On top of that, tail motors are under enormous strain and usually burn out quickly. I explain this in greater detail in my theory section and harp on this point constantly.

There is however an exception now to this rule and that is with the new class of micro sized collective pitch helis that have small direct drive coreless motors such as the Blade mCPx . These things are small and light enough that the fast accelerating and decelerating tiny coreless tail motors can keep up to the ever changing rotor torque reasonably well and do give a reasonable tail hold. The tail hold and performance is by no means perfect, but it's at least acceptable and is leaps and bounds better than on larger collective pitch helis like the Blade SR or CP2 Pro as two popular examples with tail motors that blow out and burn out all the time. Micro collective pitch helis such as the Blade 130X however do have proper shaft driven variable pitch tail rotors, and are certainly better than the collective pitch micros with fixed pitch tail rotors.

Hope this helps anyone who reads it.

Chas

Id like to have a Heli like that, I hear the SR's can be a Pain in The Rear to get setup.

Today I put down the full payment for an Align TRex 700E DFC HV 3GX.

Tired of playing games with smaller RC investments that don't give back much return for all the dollars spent.
Love those large carbon fibre spinning machetes...

Chas

Last edited:
^^ I hope you have Heli Experience......Alot of it!

Helis are even harder to buy used, it doesn't take much to make them not flyable. If the person who had it before you didn't know what he was doing, the linkages are probably way off and that would explain your trims being so far out. We have a 450 in our shop because the guy can't get it to fly, looked at it today and the blade grips are upside down, linkages are backwards, the settings in the radio are way off.... it's going to take a full teardown and rebuild just to check everything on this one. Hopefully your shop can get you going in the right direction.

^^ I hope you have Heli Experience......Alot of it!

Hi tmaxxfreek,
None, Notta!, This new Align TRex 700 E DFC HV 3GX is my very first helicopter. With no experience at all, this big dangerous bird should be scary fun.
Should I wear some fashionable safety goggles for my first few figure eights?

I'm buying a VERY large heli, first off, but will certainly practice plenty with a sim and my soon to arrive Align TRex 450 Pro DFC 3GX RTF first.
I'd also like a TRex 100x, to fly indoors too.
I may eventually hopefully join with someone to Buddy Box with my DX6i and a DX8(?) for my first few flights with the TRex 700 E.

Don't worry, I'm Definitely Not going to fly the big bird straight away.

Thanks very much , oh by the way, it's a lot not alot...

Chas

Last edited:
Good for you. You'll love it!
I learned to fly on a .46 Century Falcon still sitting behind me. VERY stable compared to any of the little guys.

Hi Rolex,
Thanks, Yeah, the more pertinent threads that I read, in the numerous RC forums and as well continuing to watch the vast array of youtube videos, many on heli builds and flying tips, I'm quickly learning much about the numerous parts and pieces as you are becoming familiar to me.
Many folks admit the bigger birds fly better/easier to handle. More stable, like flying scale.
I'll practice plenty on SIM and smaller models first of course, getting some experience and get in a few good crashes on minor units, before I connect the batteries on this big bird.

My Parrot AR Drone 2.0 gives me pleasure too, but not nearly as much as heli's do!!
Especially anything above the TRex 450 sized models.

What are you presently flying?

Chas

Last edited:
I have 14 helis and lately I've only flown the micros indoors. I'd recommend that you do NOT fly them while you're learning on the sim or the 700 since the stick work is not the same.
Get on the sim and HOVER, HOVER, HOVER. Tail in till you master it, then nose right, nose left and finally nose in.
Do everything slowly and gently, like scale flying. Don't stop hovering till you can hang close to the same spot while slowly rotating the tail.
Just like on the real thing, the next thing you have to know is the auto rotation landing. Since the sim doesn't give you a full 3-D feeling of where the ground is you can set up a warning window that will show your altitude in red when you're below a certain altitude (ie. 40') and again in bright yellow below 25. That lets you know when to add collective. Only experience will tell you how much to add.
Trust me, that's the coolest thing about helis, mastering auto rotations. If you can't do that you'll be able to watch how fast a brick can reach the ground.

Bakers Dozen + 1

I have 14 helis and lately I've only flown the micros indoors. I'd recommend that you do NOT fly them while you're learning on the sim or the 700 since the stick work is not the same.
Get on the sim and HOVER, HOVER, HOVER. Tail in till you master it, then nose right, nose left and finally nose in.
Do everything slowly and gently, like scale flying. Don't stop hovering till you can hang close to the same spot while slowly rotating the tail.
Just like on the real thing, the next thing you have to know is the auto rotation landing. Since the sim doesn't give you a full 3-D feeling of where the ground is you can set up a warning window that will show your altitude in red when you're below a certain altitude (ie. 40') and again in bright yellow below 25. That lets you know when to add collective. Only experience will tell you how much to add.
Trust me, that's the coolest thing about helis, mastering auto rotations. If you can't do that you'll be able to watch how fast a brick can reach the ground.

Rolex,
Bricks and mortar... I'm no brick layer!!
Yes for me, my learning to hover effectively, will have my undivided attention for some time to come. It's one of the main stays of helicopter essentials anyway I suppose. And part of what I love most about helicopter flight in the first place.
I sure hope my prepaid heli order gets setup soon, I just wished I'd ordered earlier now.
I was looking at the new Real Flight 6.5 SIM at Hobby King website. It looks like a very well put together program. Have you seen earlier versions from this distributor before? I'm curious which helicopter SIM mostly gets two thumbs up from you and others here with experience on them. I guess on an hd tv they must look great.

It's interesting that some people might suggest to go with the TRex 700 E straight away, and start to learn how to hover and fly with it. You mentioned learning on a bigger model as well, a .46 Century Falcon.

Anyway my plan was only to build big, with my new 700 E DFC HV, but to start my flight school flying much smaller birds, for the first while anyway.

Man I can't wait to start. The SIM programs for helicopter on the iPad are more like games.

Chas

I've had 4 versions of RealFlight, currently 5.5. I don't think there's a more realistic sim available. I've been able to paint their helis to look exactly like mine as well as adjust the geometry to behave just like mine.
You'll need to program your 700 radio with dual rates, so do the same for the sim radio. It's all about getting used to the feeling and knowing what to expect in the field.
You might want to go to http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/ and download and print a manual titled "Setup & Tips for Electric Collective Pitch RC Helicopters". I think it cost about $14 for the download, but it's worth the price of any heli. Even if you think you've learned everything you need to know, there's still more, or better, information in his manual.
It's 146 pages, but if your printer can do double sided that's what I would recommend.
If you don't want to go to the expense of the printing, at least you'll have the download. You might also want to save a copy of that on a memory stick to view in a laptop at the field.

I've had 4 versions of RealFlight, currently 5.5. I don't think there's a more realistic sim available. I've been able to paint their helis to look exactly like mine as well as adjust the geometry to behave just like mine.
You'll need to program your 700 radio with dual rates, so do the same for the sim radio. It's all about getting used to the feeling and knowing what to expect in the field.
You might want to go to http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/ and download and print a manual titled "Setup & Tips for Electric Collective Pitch RC Helicopters". I think it cost about $14 for the download, but it's worth the price of any heli. Even if you think you've learned everything you need to know, there's still more, or better, information in his manual.
It's 146 pages, but if your printer can do double sided that's what I would recommend.
If you don't want to go to the expense of the printing, at least you'll have the download. You might also want to save a copy of that on a memory stick to view in a laptop at the field.

Hi Rolex,
I've already been spending plenty of my valuable time reading about RC heli's over at rchelicopterfun.com web. So I'll have to look into that awesome download. Thanks for the advice and heads up for this. Sounds like a very well worthwhile read. And will help elevate my helicopter knowledge to a new level of awareness. It will be another valuable resource for me, much like this and a couple other forums where RC helicopter flying is discussed among other pilots...
One of the nice things about using pdf manuals and usb thumb drives, they can be taken to Office Depot or Staples outlets, for quick printing of hard copy. I already have done that with several of my Yamaha Motif XF8 user manuals.
Ah, they print bind and cover them with a choice of paper, clear film front and colored rear covers. Their prices are very nominal, with black and white or color printing available.

I have so much to learn and absorb about my Align 700 E DFC HV 3GX,
and I should've be out this weekend with my Mathew's Switchback LD, on stand, deer hunting...

Chas

Back