Maxx or Wide-Maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregs78cam

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just bought a used E-Maxx for my wife, and I am curious, how do I know if it is a Wide-Maxx, or pre-wide-maxx.:ponder2: are there some measurements to compare to or certain parts that are only on one or the other? thanks

Best way to tell is to look at the A arms. If there is more than one hole to change the shock angle, then it's the wide version. This is what they say for the Tmaxx anyway.

Ya the narrow Tmaxx or Emaxx will have only one hole to mount the shocks to the shock tower. The widemaxx has about 3 holes for each shock on the shock tower. As for is it worth it...I would say yes. I took both an Emaxx(narrow) and a Tmaxx (wide) out for a spin. The Emax would roll over like crazy unless it was almost a dead stop on turns. While the Tmaxx would just slide around and keep on going. I just need a few more parts and I'll make my sons a wide maxx also.

Anyone know if the shocks are the same as well as the drive shafts on the Emaxx and Wide Tmaxx?

Ray

Last edited:
The driveshafts are usable from narrow->wide conversion. Same with the shocks.

most likely, if it has the EVX speed controller (orange box) it is the wide version

Heres a few pictures if it helps....

Here is my narrow emaxx upper arm.

DSC00274.gif

Here is a stock wide Tmaxx arm you can tell by looking at that space by the shock holes. The wide arms has that spot open and the narrow maxx has a line/brace in the middle of that open space.

DSC00275.gif

Here is a pic of my EVX orange box

DSC00273.gif

The EVX (speed controller) basically has nothing to do with the wide/narrow version. The EVX shipped on the narrow version as well as on the wide revision. Looking at the part of the lower arm that the shocks attach to, is there three holes? Three holes, it's a widemaxx version.

Look at the top end of the shocks; are there three mounting holes? Again, if so, it's a wide version. That's the easiest way to tell at a glance.

My narrow had the traxxass black esc on it. I thought they only put those on the new ones.

HeartBreak said:
The EVX (speed controller) basically has nothing to do with the wide/narrow version. The EVX shipped on the narrow version as well as on the wide revision. Looking at the part of the lower arm that the shocks attach to, is there three holes? Three holes, it's a widemaxx version.

Look at the top end of the shocks; are there three mounting holes? Again, if so, it's a wide version. That's the easiest way to tell at a glance.
Wide maxx lower arms have four shock mounting holes. As for the shock tower you are right but you havent been able to get the old shock tower that is open in the center (no x) for some time and if one had to be replaced it is more than likly a newer one. If its the narrow maxx just buy the Traxxas wide kit $39.99 comes with every thing you need.

Yup. I believe the part number is TRA5190 for the widemaxx kit. Even if you don't need all the parts right now, it's nice to have spares.

bustedgears said:
My narrow had the traxxass black esc on it. I thought they only put those on the new ones.

Nope, the EVX (by Novak) was issued a couple months after the Emaxx hit the market. I was working for an LHS around that time. That was the most fun I had inside an LHS (besides putting liquid dish soap in a dish washing machine... SUDS EVERYWHERE!!).

HeartBreak said:
Even if you don't need all the parts right now, it's nice to have spares.

Ya, I was thinking this earlier. I pretty much have every part I need but it would be using my spare parts. So I'm thinking of buying a kit for my son's Emaxx.

that a-arm is off a wide-maxx......you can tell by looking at how its designed.......

The narrow maxx has 2 small triangles instead of the "diamond"........Here's a link to a "narrow" maxx arm...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJG80

EDIT***guess that was explained a few posts up.....sorry about that......***

Nitro

Last edited:
thanks everybody, it is a widemaxx then cool.