Maxx Diff Outdrive Bearings, what works best?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm just checking to see what everyone else has tried. I typically get about a gallon of run time through my maxx and the Diff outdrive bearings are fried. I believe these are the 10mmX15mm bearings. I've tried 4 different brands and 3 different styles. Duratrash teflon sealed, Traxxas metal shielded, Dynamite rubber sealed and Boca Green Seals (rubber). All of which only give me about a gallon or so of run time before they completely fall apart. Oddly enough, the traxxas ones normally get me to about 1.5 gallons, but the other 3 all only last about a gallon.

My next try may be the Acer bearings (pricey) and there are a couple brands I have shortcuts for at home, but I can't remember the company off hand. One of them are known more for their skateboard/rollerblade bearings.

Since I only run 1 diff in my maxx (2wd), 4 last me awhile, but it's still aggravating none the less.

Any input you guys could provide would be helpfull. The wasting money thing gets old after awhile, but I guess that's going to happen anyway. It's more the complete tear down of the rear end that annoys me more than the $ anyway.

I think this is just something you are going to have to live with. A gallon of fuel is a lot of running. I don't think theres much you can do to make them last longer. Just out of general maintenance I check my diff bearings every .5 gallons or so and replace them if they look or feel the least bit worn.

I have been using the BlueStar sealed bearings for a couple of years now and haven't had any issues with them. In the past I have tried several different brands from cheap to expensive and for the diffs they are all about the same on performance and durability.

I figured as much. I was just hoping someone found something that worked for wear better. Stupid bearings...

You can try an alum case and support if you think the 50.00 or so investment is worth a few extra tanks more life for the bearings. I have tried both and don't see enough of a difference to justify the cost.

I already am. Aluminum diff case, aluminum diff collar, aluminum inner diff cup, aluminum bulks and aluminum bulk brace. And I'm running steel cvd's.

olds97_lss said:
I already am. Aluminum diff case, aluminum diff collar, aluminum inner diff cup, aluminum bulks and aluminum bulk brace. And I'm running steel cvd's.
Ever conceder going plastic to see if it makes a difference. LMAO :jk:

Yes, I have "considered" it... ass! Here I am making a legitimate query and all you can do is be sarcastic!!!! I knew I liked you for a reason other than the pic under your name...

I did notice using the al diff cup and case really prolonged gear life. Just not bearing life. It may have something to do with the grease I fill the diff case with. Attracts dirt.

I clean mine with wd-40 after everytime I go out and they seem to last a long time like half the summer
I have already gone through 4 gallons of fuel with the traxxas bearings

I just knock the days dust and crud off with the air compressor and a tooth brush. I tried the WD trip and found it attracted more dirt and made it stick.
IMO no WD on the outside of the bearings for an off road.

Back