Maverick strada mt motors keep burning out

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam1985

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys, need some help please, I've got 2 maverick strada mt cars, well there my sons cars, 1 of them is ok but the other one the motor burned out very quickly and very easily, cars are fairly new with very little usage...any did a bit of research and found out I could change stock motor for a faster one, opted for the hpi firebolt 15t motor from modelsport as heard good things about them, they turned up today and I've changed one, easily enough to do but took some figuring out as forward was reverse and vice versa so switched the wires and was working great....for 5-10 mins! Motor internals have melted and it locked the wheels, also stinks, burned out!

Is there something I may have done wrong or needed to change, only thing I can think of is I kept the same pinion gear, or what ever it's called, think its 13t from the stock motor, should this of been changed? I'm a novice really, had a few cars here and there but never really messed...please help, my lads are desperate to get there cars out...

Thanks in advance

Sam

That's usually an indication of high motor temps. This can be from a few different things. First thing to check is if there is any binding in the drive line. Next is to check for proper gear mesh between the pinion and spur.

That's usually an indication of high motor temps. This can be from a few different things. First thing to check is if there is any binding in the drive line. Next is to check for proper gear mesh between the pinion and spur.
No binding, all running freely as it should, exactly the same as the other car, but what do you mean by check for proper gear mesh? Should the 13t gear pinion still be ok for this motor? Or would I need a slightly bigger one?

Gear mesh is the amount of play in the pinion and spur gear.

My eRevo VXL had an overheating problem that I took care of by adding a 1-tooth larger pinion to lower the gear ratio that fixed the problem.

Your going to need a much larger pinion with that 15t brushed motor... the thing is when you put a new motor in you need to check how hot it is getting..19tooth pinion to start.... id check motor temps with in 15 seconds sure it sounds extreme but you need to do it and running on bench wont do it it needs the resistance the wheels have on ground