Mans best friend.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
No not my dog… My TV Remote….

HP now includes a new chip called Nevo in the new iPaq.
This chip extends the IR up to 25 feet and contains all the remote codes for over 1000 TVs, Stereos, and other remote activated electronic devices.

HP says the chip is better than ANY remote on the market and is completely programmable to integrate a home theater system into 1 easy to use unit.

Additional programs will allow you to download TV schedules and program a full week of button pushing in just minutes.

The first unit to include this chip is the iPaq H3900

I may have to go and check this one out….

I think my wife will let me get this one; She gets tired of having to get up and change the channels for me.:D

Hey Eddie, how much is it? Here's my remote list:

VCR
DVD
TV
Cable Box
Receiver
CD
Tape deck

All in my livingroom!

I've found several "all in one" remotes, but they are always missing some key features for some componants that I would want.

LMK If you get one

H3900
Retail 650.00 Street 599.00

What is CIR and how can I use it?
Consumer Infrared (CIR) refers to an invisible light signal that electronics use to communicate with each other. IR is a smaller longer wavelength and is often used on audio/video devices like your TV, stereo and other appliances in your home, like your lights, all can be controlled through IR. The Universal Remote Control feature on the H3900 series allows you to control your home office electronic systems, similar to your remote control for your entertainment systems through an embedded Consumer Infrared (CIR) microcontroller.

What devices can I control remotely with Nevo?
You can control any infrared (IR) controlled device. This not only includes TVs, VCRs, and other audiovisual equipment, but also IR controlled fans, lights, and even fireplaces in your home and office.

What is the effective range?
Effective range up to 15 feet

Why would someone use this?
Centralized universal remote control for home and office electronic systems
Intuitive graphical user interface
Intuitive, customizable interface with easy wizard-based setup
Comprehensive coverage of over 1,500 brand name devices across 20 device categories
Downloadable upgrades for new devices introduced to market or to add advanced key functions
Multiple rooms and multiple user settings
Favorites page for one-touch access to favorite channels and activities
I can't find my brand of device, what do I do now?
Visit Mynevo.com and click on Device Control Download after registering. Follow the instructions to look for the brand of device. Finish the download process, following the instructions on the website to synchronize the new device control codes. Then open the Nevo application and add your device using the Add Device wizard. Be sure to select the method of adding devices downloaded from the website when using the wizard.

What is Express Learning?
Express Learning allows Nevo to learn any number of keys from the original remote in quick succession. This avoids the need to go back and edit/label each new key learned until all the keys have been learned. This is also useful if you don't want to download device control codes and rather individually program keys.

For that price she can just get up and change the channel when needed.

Can you see 8 guys on a Sunday at the local sports bar?

I just bought a Toshiba E-310 (Pocket PC)...$250 with the rebate.

You can get SOFTWARE to run on any Pocket PC to do the same thing without any special chip required. I tried a demo version of the software, it works GREAT...it even learns off systems it doesn't have pre-programmed. The only problem is USING the dang thing.

How often do you actually LOOK at your remote when you use it? You use it by FEEL right? Kicking back on the couch channel surfing, whatever - you actually have to LOOK at the screen of the PDA and touch the buttons on the screen. It's not an efficient way to surf on the old boob tube.

My two cents from my own experience - it's kinda cool, but it's just not as easy, quick and convenient as a good old tactile button type remote.

You want to try something REALLY cool?

I just built up a killer PC with an ATI All-In-Wonder Video card that included a RF remote (controls the PC - DVD, CD, MP3 software from ANYWHERE in the friggin house).

The ATI card outputs to the TV, it has an on-board cable ready tuner and misc vid inputs. Records full motion video onto in MPEG-2 format to the hard drive from Cable TV, VCR, Video Camera - whatever!

I put the whole system together with DVD, CD-RW, ATI Card, Killer ASUS Motherboard, AMD Athlon 2100 CPU, 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM for less than $600. Including a sweet case with 7 fans, custom window on the side of the case and a cold cathode (neon) sound activated light INSIDE the case.

Just wouldnt be the same with out the neon light. :cheeky:

WOW! $650.00 for a remote. Yea, I can just see trying to justify that one to the wife! It sounds neat, but I guess I need more remote stuff before I can get one of those. Let us know if you get one!

Fett, if you're going to pay $650 for a remote, then you don't need a wife.....

Can you program it to go get a beer????:wtf:

I have a SONY all in one remote commander. It is programmable and handles every component in my system. It is awesome and only cost me $199 (no coupons...no rebate...that's the price).

Sky, I have the Commander RM-AV2100 with the touch screen...I LOVE IT. This remote rules!

-WoodiE

I don't know, $650 is a bit much for a remote. Especially when you lose it all the time like I do.

I just saw the artical in a mag and thought it was cool.
I have 5 remotes on the table and 3 in the bed room :cheers:

I have like fifteen remotes in a shoe box somewhere in the attic. The Remote Commander I have is an awesome replacement.

Woodie...that would be the one and same that I have. It is truly awesome. I don't even have to open my cabinet or have my stereo components visible to the infra-red eye of the remote. It handles all of the commands through the sensor on my 36" SONY HDTV.