Making the old tmaxx wider

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just bought a older tmaxx and I heard that you can put the new 2.5 tmaxx aarms on it to make it wider. My question is do you have to change anything else like axles, tie rods? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also what is a good price to give for a 1 year old tmaxx with 5 tanks ran through after breakin. Near perfect condition. Matt

you have to change the turbuckles ithink i dont think u have to change the axels

If you are going to spend the money to widen your T-Maxx, get the RPM widemaxx A-Arms. Go for the Lunsford turnbuckles. You can keep the telescoping stock axles, but I recommend going for the Mip CVD.

I think X already made links for most of this stuff. Bottom line is that RPM has the best guarantee/warranty program going. You break it, they replace it. 'Nuff said. Kunsford titanium turnbuckles are about as bullet-proof as they come. I run the black-oxide MIP CVDs, but they do come chromed up. Either way, you can't lose.

What do the turnbuckles do exactly. Also where can I find the MIP CVD's? Also the truck hasnt been run in about 6 months do I need to do anything special before startup. I am new into this hobbie.

The only thing i am going to disagree on are the CVDs, I use the Dynamite CVDs in my T they come with protective boots as well. They are now making them for the wide maxx suspension. I am thinking of doing this myself. A pair of mip cvds will cost you anywhere from $45 to $49, you can get the Dynamites for $30. I have not had a single problem with them.

Welcome to the hobby. Turnbuckle keep the rear wheels pointing straight and are used as the steering linkages for the front wheels. Think of them as the metal that keeps the wheels stable.

As for the MIP CVDs, here's a link to the regular length out drive axles:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUR79&P=7

Here's the link for the center drive axles:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUR80&P=7

Still trying to find you a good link to the wide out drive axles. When I have it, I'll post it.

If you want to look for them, go to Tower Hobbies or use the search feature on this site (look near the bottom of this page) and punch in MIP CVD and select Tower Hobbies. You will be given several to look at, just grab the ones that say they are for the T-Maxx.

Although I used the brand-name MIP in my post, the recommendation is to use any CVD. Dynamite makes some nice ones, also. There are several brands that make CVDs and some actually refer to them as MIP CVDs (Associated Engineering and HPI refer to theirs as MIP CVDs).

Either way, finding a set for the wider suspension is the hold up. You could wait until March when the new 2.5 CVDs hit the street. They are wide and work with the RPM kit.

Well I don't think you need cvds unless you are running a big block. I don't run them I have only spun one thats it. Also the new shafts for the 2.5 are even more solid. Not to mention Backspur has weighed them and there is a 9.2 oz weight gain in cvd's thats over half a pound which is a lot when you are talking about a 8 pound truck..X

Back