Macbook Pro Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchrodeMode

Hardcore RCTalk User
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well, just my luck!!! My Macbook Pro decided to freeze, and now it won't boot, I would try the safe mode but my disk is in a crate on it's way to England. It will turn on and go to the gray screen with the apple and spinning disk, the dik will spin forever and sometimes the apple turns into a forbidden sign (circle with slash). Is anyone here a Mac "Guru"?

What os and version do you have? Sounds like the boot directory got corrupted somehow. Or maybe the hard drive went. Does the hard drive make any scratchy or just bad sounds? Has it ever made any bad sounds? I'm not a mac guru by any means. But I know quite a lot about computers.

If the hard drive is fine and the boot directory is corrupted. I think you should be able to fix it with the os disk. We will figure this out.

I'm hoping it's just a boot issue, and maybe I can borrow a boot disk from one of my buddies. They have a place called iDoctors, I had them work on my wife's once and it was a disaster.

That's your best bet, is finding a os disk you can use. I found this (link below) but I would only try it if you are running version 10.6. Find out your exact version and then you should be able to find the right procedure.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3972137?start=0&tstart=0

I would never recommend taking any computer to a business for repairs. That's just me though. Unless you had some type of warranty that would get the computer fixed for free.

This may be apples and oranges, but when my iPod 5g had the hdd go bad it did basically the same thing that your describing. I would try a recovery disk like your wanting to do. If that doesn't work, it's probably time for a new hdd. Depending on size, you can get a really good deal on a solid state drive (SSD).

Okay, time to revive this thread.

I need help on getting a SSD, I'd like to keep it under $500 but get the largest size. Please give any advice you computer gurus........annnd GO!

Thanks man, I think I'll go with the top one.

Hey I might have a Mac is disk dude...I hate Macs but I ended up with one somehow in job lol. Let me check dude I'll give free.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Oops never mind I misread and missed the last posts, I was just in a rush to avoid u paying for disc when I had one so I edited this post after i reread lol. Can't remove it so gotta look like a bonehead now, ugh.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368606822396.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368606822396.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Yeah man, my disk is here now. I'm actually running my mac from it now, I've pulled most of my stuff off of it. I just need to grab a car first and then I'll be ordering the new SSD. Thanks anyway though, it's the thought that counts. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well, one of my buddies talked me out of getting a SSD. For now I'm just picked up a 500gb HD for $50, I'll use this for now and keep doing some research. If I do decide to get a SSD for my Mac, I'll just throw this one in my wife's. It was my lucky day though, not only did I get the HD, but Apple had just released OS X 10.9 Mavericks and it's free. I'm really liking this nice clean HD, it's like a new Macbook for $50.

Picked up a 1tb HD today, I'll put the 500gb in my wife's Macbook for now. I'm looking to upgrade my RAM, should I get a single 8gb or two 4gb? Is there a difference?

Disregard, it looks like you get better performance with 2x of the same size.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited: