Mac vs x86 with a twist...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbreaker

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Originally posted by Error401
Sadly, the only role Windows movie maker had to play in making the video was the final recompress to wmv format. I did the titles and audio mixing and production work on a Mac using some trick software. There are some good vid editing programs for the PC, but if you're really into it, do it on a Mac.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

For any home/hobby editing, Premiere is more then up to the task, and Premiere Pro is only available for the PC.

I used to make videos of Everquest stuff, with animations, video, titles, sync to music, etc.. All with a PC. Professional results.

There's very little distinction in usability and features when it comes to PC vs Macs, and media. All the same software, and more and more software vendors are leaning more toward PC's as the ONLY platform.

Macs haven't had anything up on an x86 PC since 1989, in terms of speed and abilities. The only single reason that people still think otherwise is because Apple still gives macs to art schools. When these people start making creative and great things, they do it on macs, not because they are better, but because Apple gave free ones to their school so it's what they know how to use.

I ain't doggin' macs here, but they aren't any better then a PC for anything, including media production. In fact, they tend to lag behind in a great many other areas, including hardware and software support - of course, this doesn't sway me from my determination to use Linux wherever possible.

Anyways... what was this thread about? Ohh yea, the video. When I get home I'll download it =)

Final Cut Pro 4. Look it up when ya can. And code for code, iMovie smokes Windows Movie Maker for the home user (as you say) in ease of use and compatibility. Hook up the cam, click import, edit, add titles, and click one button to burn a DVD. It took me forever to do that on a Win box, and I had to use 2 or 3 pieces of software to do just that. Real easy and friendly my ass. But hey, you got your opinion, I got mine.

And before you start thinking I'm some sandle wearin hippie allpe nut, I'm actually a Microsoft MCP and a PC tech by trade. I have used Premiere, and a few others, and it's my opinion that my mac setup smokes my PC setup Mhz for Mhz in video editing.

As for Mac's keeping up with PC's in hardware and software, how do you think developed and marketed firewire first? Who shitcanned spagetti code OS's and who's now running a stable, secure codebase? It's not Windows. I get tired of every day having to update my virus defs on my win boxes. Hell I don't need to run antivirus on OS X. Security hole in windows is a joke. Sure, there's more software available for windows, but who gives a crap when your registry craps out and all your stuff is gone. When microsoft gets off their high horse, writes some quality code for their products and lowers the friggin price of their poop, I then might be prud once again to call myself an MCP. Lumping on eyecandy on top of serious problems is not part of the solution, it's part of the problem.

Until you've run OS X, don't take a crap on it. I'll give you credit for running Linux, and I dabble with that also.

OK boys 2 words here Silicon Graphics, do we need to continue this conversation anymore?

For all those that didn't know now ya know

http://www.sgi.com/

Here we go.

Originally posted by Error401 Final Cut Pro 4. Look it up when ya can.

First of all, Final Cut is $1000 for the software alone. And in reality, it can't do much more then Premiere. There's many software packages for the PC that have price tags like that and beyond, providing professional hardware assisted real time video editing. Final Cut won't be able to "stream 7 videos" without some sort of hardware assistance, and a raid array. Plus, this is for studio use, not hobby use.

Originally posted by Error401 And code for code, iMovie smokes Windows Movie Maker for the home user (as you say) in ease of use and compatibility. Hook up the cam, click import, edit, add titles, and click one button to burn a DVD. It took me forever to do that on a Win box, and I had to use 2 or 3 pieces of software to do just that.

Who cares about windows movie maker? Are you suggesting that the Macintosh is better because it has an easier built-in "movie maker" program? In my opinion, they are both crap. However, I did not find Windows Movie Maker to be at all difficult to use, but that and iMovie both are far too limited for me.

Originally posted by Error401 And before you start thinking I'm some sandle wearin hippie allpe nut, I'm actually a Microsoft MCP and a PC tech by trade. I have used Premiere, and a few others, and it's my opinion that my mac setup smokes my PC setup Mhz for Mhz in video editing.

I didn't think you were a hippie allpe nut. I've used PC's and I've used Macs. I truely believe that a Mac is a decent machine, especially now that the OS is built upon a much more stable UNIX platform.

I'm not blind to the benchmarks, software and hardware support however. An x86 has proven over and over that it can compete head to head with the Macs' RISC platform. With AMD's new Opterons are becoming more popular and cheaper, Mac's won't have a chance. Opteron/Athlon64 is a much faster chip then the new IBM PowerPC chips; but even the latest 32-bit Pentium 4's and Athlons compete in real-world excersizes.

Originally posted by Error401 As for Mac's keeping up with PC's in hardware and software, how do you think developed and marketed firewire first?

If that's your claim-to-fame, then ouch. Firewire is fantastic, and was developed jointly between Apple, Motorola, and a few others. Sony is big into FireWare (iLink as they like to call it.) It's been available on the PC for as long as the mac. True, many PC's don't include firewire by default (most people don't use it) but $15 can get you firewire ports if you want to use it.

Originally posted by Error401 Who shitcanned spagetti code OS's and who's now running a stable, secure codebase? It's not Windows ...<snipped rant on Microsoft>

Apple can "shitcan" whatever they want because the control both the hardware and the software. If apple decides one day to release the next version of the OS, and make it 100% incompatible with all previous software, they can do that. They aren't any different then microsoft. It's just on a smaller scale. They have a monopoly within the Mac market.

I've already said that Macs aren't bad machines, but they aren't fundamentally better then an x86 PC. There's been handfuls of security holes in MacOSX already but since hardly anyone runs macs nobody bothers to write a virus for them. I'm not defending microsoft AT ALL - I'm with you, I don't like Microsoft. But they are the #1 target for all things malevolent..

I can do everything on my PC that you do on your mac, just as fast.

Originally posted by Error401 Until you've run OS X, don't take a crap on it. I'll give you credit for running Linux, and I dabble with that also.

I've run OS X. I owned a Mac for about six months, and sold it. The machine was very responsive and I didn't have many problems, but it just sat on my desk collecting dust while I still ended up doing everything on my Linux and Windows boxes. I'm not a fan of the dancing title bar and DAMMIT I want more mouse buttons. The use of the scroll wheel, wheel button, and right mouse buttons are used so extensively in my computer usage that I have a hard time constantly rolling the mouse around the pad to get everything done.

If you run macs and like it, that's great. But really, they aren't better or worse then a PC assuming both are properly setup. (they tend to be a lot more expensive though!)

But hey, it's cool. Whatever floats your boat.

If you'd like to continue this debate, I'm all for it but perhaps we should move it to PM's or somewhere else that I won't be banned for =)

I don't think you read my post, a SG workstation will blow both platforms away without even trying. The machine wouldn't break even break a sweat against a Intel based PC or a Mac. They have been using dual 64's for awhile. I guess I see it as an argument over who is better Ford or Chevy, but we all know Ferrari makes a better car, ho hum......................

Sorry man =)

I watched your video just now. Nice track you got there to use!

Who was running the buggy without the lid?

Originally posted by HumboldtBlazer
I don't think you read my post, a SG workstation will blow both platforms away without even trying. The machine wouldn't break even break a sweat against a Intel based PC or a Mac. They have been using dual 64's for awhile. I guess I see it as an argument over who is better Ford or Chevy, but we all know Ferrari makes a better car, ho hum......................

I'm sorry, I read your post. But I kinda dismissed it since most SGI machines weigh in well over $15,000 for a low end workstation, before software - which you commonly have to develop in-house.

Good for high end computer animation, bad for pro-sumer consumption.

Most big shops use SGI because they are very capable when it comes to clusters of rack-mounted machines. However, Linux on x86 is quickly moving in on this territory.

No offence..

Last edited:
we didn't say wich cost more did we, Ferraris cost more than fords and Chevys because why? It's because they are clearly better period. The Tzero I want is only $45k! And I will eat my pants if someone comes along in the next 5 years and knocks SGI outta first place in the graphics industry. They have been leading for over 13years from what I know and it could be longer.

Originally posted by FastEddy

Waste Land,
Nature has a way weeding out the bad ones. In the over all plan of the universe this may be the reason your not that big. Theres more to life than showing everyone how tuff you are or think you are. Big guys with bad attitudes don't last long, little guys with bad attitudes are just labeled &quot;Assholes&quot;. Ill assume by your comment you fall into the second group.
Well I never!....LoL. I am short, true, but I dont think I'm so tuff or whatever. I'll hold my own as much as I can if I have to but I dont look for fights. I was just joking cause El looks like a hardass. Maybe I missed it but where was this track at again. It looks like its in a park area. Is it city built or owned like a skate park?

This is a splinter from a great thread about a video. The discussion on which machine is better can continue or die here in General Chaos. In the future, let's keep to the topic at hand and try not to do to someone else's thread that which you wouldn't want to happen on your own.

BTW, I run Macs and PCs. I've only ever owned Macs and they have always kicked every Win Box's arse in the graphic world. Before you go getting all uppity about your flavor of PC. I run in circles that use SG machines (they are in a class all there own...I would love to own one or two...I'll settle for using them whenever I want). In my time I have grown up through Mac and watched the PC world try and keep up. For sheer numbers PC wins the game. They own the world...or most of it, but that niche market that runs Macs would never tell you that a PC is better...just ain't so.

Enough said.

A note from the Mod...I had to clean up the thread this came from. EP, FastEddy, Humboldtblazer all lost some posts in the clean up. Sorry, price of doing business in the thread crapping realm. :D

Back