LST2 Campaign

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes we do! love both of mine speaking of i really need to go rip mine around. havent even been able to take my LST2 out since i "muggified" it partially.

There is a few of them that needs to be re-popped!...:thumbs-up:
yup, a re-vamp of the MGT should be in order as well lol maybe taking notes from how they did the Rival with the 17mm hexes and such. wouldnt mind a center diff MGT as well, but would lose the 2-speed, and thats half the fun lol

This thread just reminded me I have a brand new in box Mega Baja tucked away in the depths of my basement. I believe it is essentially an LST2, correct? I bought it about 10 years ago, just before I lost interest in the hobby. I have only taken it out to Loctite all the necessary screws, but it has never been started up.
Since coming back to the hobby recently, I've really have no desire to get back into nitro.............as of yet! (We'll see where the future steers me).
Anyways, I bought this rig just because I love those dessert buggies! I need to dig out this beast and, at the very least, make it a shelf queen.
0V-LOSB0013_lg.jpg

Last edited:
This thread just reminded me I have a brand new in box Mega Baja tucked away in the depths of my basement. I believe it is essentially an LST2, correct? I bought it about 10 years ago, just before I lost interest in the hobby. I have only taken it out to Loctite all the necessary screws, but it has never been started up.
Since coming back to the hobby recently, I've really have no desire to get back into nitro.............as of yet! (We'll see where the future steers me).
Anyways, I bought this rig just because I love those dessert buggies! I need to dig out this beast and, at the very least, make it a shelf queen.View attachment 126798
for the most they are a Losi Aftershock with a baja bug body.
the aftershock is more similar to the LST1, than the LST2.
same platform overall, but compared to the LST1, the LST2 had wider A-arms, different axles, 20mm hex vs threaded shaft, threaded aluminum shock bodies, aluminum diff cases, mach 427 engine.
AFT/Mega baja/ Raminator had a plastic hubbed 2 speed assembly, plastic threaded shocks, Forward only converted transmission compared, aluminum diff cases, sport exhaust pipe, and mach .26SS engine (black head) to the LST1

all of them are just great machines overall.
being BNIB mega baja thats gonna be worth a good value. wasn't very many to begin with, and now 15+ years later or so...

Anyways, I bought this rig just because I love those dessert buggies! I need to dig out this beast and, at the very least, make it a shelf queen.View attachment 126798
Yes the Mega Baja was built on the LST1 platform. Its not identical but its almost the same kit. You could definitely turn it in to a shelf queen.... Or, you could sell it to me ;)

I could get behind this @Greywolf74. I always loved the LST trucks.
I will get behind that! 💯.....unless he sells it to me lol

I'd be happy if they just brought back the micro line...

The LST line was cool for what it was, but a bit fragile for me.

I'd be happy if they just brought back the micro line...

The LST line was cool for what it was, but a bit fragile for me.
It did have its share of weaknesses and without the aftermarket support it used to have Id have probably never gotten so attached to the platform. Once you get a few aluminum upgrades on it though it starts to come to life and imho it is an amazing platform.

As for the micro line, I'm good you can keep those lol. I'm just not a micro guy

It did have its share of weaknesses and without the aftermarket support it used to have Id have probably never gotten so attached to the platform. Once you get a few aluminum upgrades on it though it starts to come to life and imho it is an amazing platform.

As for the micro line, I'm good you can keep those lol. I'm just not a micro guy
Micro's are fun on rainy days or when it's cold and you just want something to run around the house and pester cats with.

My main issues with the LST were the 2 speed and chassis rails. The c-hubs, diff yoke retainers, motor mount brace as aluminum helped those areas a lot and lusford tie rods with RPM arms helped those.

My two speed hubs kept having the pucks hop over the flat spot and locking it up. That was even after getting the LST* 2 speed hub.

For the chassis rails, until I made a skid that connected the front to the center, I'd snap those in half every other time I ran the truck. Hated replacing those... sooooo many screws.

In the end, the 2-speed was the only thing that bugged me continually that I couldn't find a good "set it and forget it" fix for.

Micro's are fun on rainy days or when it's cold and you just want something to run around the house and pester cats with.

My main issues with the LST were the 2 speed and chassis rails. The c-hubs, diff yoke retainers, motor mount brace as aluminum helped those areas a lot and lusford tie rods with RPM arms helped those.

My two speed hubs kept having the pucks hop over the flat spot and locking it up. That was even after getting the LST* 2 speed hub.

For the chassis rails, until I made a skid that connected the front to the center, I'd snap those in half every other time I ran the truck. Hated replacing those... sooooo many screws.

In the end, the 2-speed was the only thing that bugged me continually that I couldn't find a good "set it and forget it" fix for.
Thats interesting cuz I never had the 2 speed or the rail issue. My main issues were tie rods, c hubs, and motor mount, on both kits and when I converted the LST2 to electric I had to hop up the diff housings and had to get hardened half shafts cuz 6S was destroying those too.

I just realized you said LST. Are you talking about the LST1 or the LST2 cuz the LST1 was definitely more fragile than the LST2 from what I understand. I've never had an LST1 only an LST2 and XXL

Thats interesting cuz I never had the 2 speed or the rail issue. My main issues were tie rods, c hubs, and motor mount, on both kits and when I converted the LST2 to electric I had to hop up the diff housings and had to get hardened half shafts cuz 6S was destroying those too.

I just realized you said LST. Are you talking about the LST1 or the LST2 cuz the LST1 was definitely more fragile than the LST2 from what I understand. I've never had an LST1 only an LST2 and XXL
i have not experienced the 2speed issues yet either, might have just been lucky. i am also only running the stock engine on the one and not a lot amount of time on the one with the F4.6.
diff housings on the LST1 were a weak point, but once swapped to the aluminum ones have had no issues yet.
so far the only weak points i found were the LST1 hi/low selector popping out (fixed with FOC), grub screws in the center axles (just loctite), and the wheel nuts backing out. as said though i don't have a crazy power plant in there and don't normally do huge sends so might be why i haven't ran into many issues.

I had the aftershock which was a trimmed down LST1 with a weak 2 speed. I put an LST2 2 speed on it though when I put a LRP28S3 in it. I got to about tank 6 of break in with that engine and the stock two speed locked up.

I was pretty sure the LST1/2 both used the same chassis rails, but I could be mistaken. I went through a lot of them before making my skid plate. The part numbers differed, LOSB2255 vs LOSB2256. Appears the 2256 are listed as fitting the LST2 and Aftershock, so not sure which ones I ran. I'd assume I ran both at some point.

They would break here:
2007-1117-ASChassisRailBreak02.jpg

I made these first and they helped:
2007-1119-ASChassisRailBraces.jpg

I wanted something to cover the servos, so I ended up with this:
2008-0920-BottomSkids.jpg

That small bar on it was steel as my skate park was grinding through the skid I made. So I put a beveled steel bar on it to deal with it as it was easier to make that every year or so vs remaking the entire skid (which was a real pain to get the bends right just using a bench vice).

The two speed would work fine for a short while, then it would hop the flat spot and lock up. I'd replace the hub, shoes and pucks and it would last for a while, then do it again. I did have mine geared taller as I ran smaller/lighter tires on it. Not sure how much that would have affected it. I ran +2 pinions and did the gear flip mod in the trans.

I guess it doesn't matter much really anymore since it's not likely to make a come back.