Lst mods, whatcha got?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2revo1maxx

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I'm anxiously waiting for my new xxl, wondering what some good mods are for it. I know there won't be as much as you can get for a trx, but I'm gonna mod it up anyway. Any suggestions?

Smaller/lighter tires, RC Raven progressive springs, RPM arms, lunsford titanium for the RPM arms and steering, Dynamite engine brace, HD center skid (protects bottom of spurs and pipe) and a new era roll bar.

Those are the top ones for me. The big ass tires on that thing really labor the 2 speed and clutch. Smaller/lighter tires let you get more RPM's out of the engine and cause less rotational mass for rolling and leverage for crashing. I run traxxas 17mm t-maxx 3.3 rims/tires on mine and really like it. Big enough to not look stupid, but not so big that your losing horsepower to dead weight.

Smaller/lighter tires, RC Raven progressive springs, RPM arms, lunsford titanium for the RPM arms and steering, Dynamite engine brace, HD center skid (protects bottom of spurs and pipe) and a new era roll bar.

Those are the top ones for me. The big ass tires on that thing really labor the 2 speed and clutch. Smaller/lighter tires let you get more RPM's out of the engine and cause less rotational mass for rolling and leverage for crashing. I run traxxas 17mm t-maxx 3.3 rims/tires on mine and really like it. Big enough to not look stupid, but not so big that your losing horsepower to dead weight.

I have some big joes are they smaller or bigger than the atx? I have 4908 wheels/tires too. I guess I'll have to see how it runs with the '454' in it maybe I'll gear it down slightly.

Well, from what I find online, big joes are 6.4" OD and the tires I run are 6.3", so should be fairly similar. I think these are what I'm running on my revo and my aftershock ATM:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVSE3&P=Z

I'm actually contemplating getting rid of my aftershock... I drove it once this year and twice last year... Just don't have the time for 4 rigs these days. The jato and revo are really the only two I run.

Yeah I've got those, except one wheel broke and the tire is on a split spoke wheel now. I know how you feel, I'm finally gonna have 4 rigs + a mini lst2. I don't know why I barely have any time, especially this time of year..

A few places.

The RC Raven springs I got directly from RCRaven.

The lunsford and dynamite parts I'm pretty sure I got from horizon. You can get most of that list from Horizon.

The NewEra roll bar you may have to hit ebay or new era directly. I didn't get one, I made one that went from the front/center area (by the brakes) to the rear of the truck.

If you get RPM arms, you will need to get the spacers as well:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=RPM73240

Mine was an aftershock, so I didn't need the spacers as RPM only made the arms for the original LST which is what the aftershock runs. The LST2+ all run wider arms/axle carriers, which calls for the spacers. Make sure to get the lunsford turnbuckles for the RPM arms. Part # LNS1540. Sometimes listed as LUN1540. You can find them cheaper than what horizon has them, so you may want to shop around. I think I paid $6 a piece for mine, that's $24 vs $36. Don't even try running without them as you will break the crappy ones RPM includes within minutes of running. Then you will have to cut them with a dremel to back the stumps out of your new RPM arms. Like I did. ;) I didn't make it through one tank of fuel and broke two of them.

These are a bit shorter, but they are supposed to be pretty tough too (in place of the lunsfords):
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...ustable-Turnbuckle-M5-L-R-35mm-Spring-Steel-2

Last edited:
I have:

BAC steering link to decrease turning radius.
Single steering servo mod. Put a few extra springs around the single saver, works well enough.
Losi electric conversion with MMM 2200 motor
Losi single speed hub.

Thanks Olds. Probably going for the skidplate and springs for now.

Hey Olds do you know if that roll bar will fit the XXL? I think it will, but wanna be sure. Thanks

I can't say for sure. I know the XL is lengthened in the front, so it may not bolt up in stock locations like it's intended... but a drill and a few holes later it might.

It says it will on New Era's site.

I've been to the 'site', but the search always gives me new era 2008. I don't get did they change their name? I can't find anything about the xxl on that site.