lrp .28 spec 3 pull-start help!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony888

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
gday fellas

I'm just new to this site and new to nitro rcs
i own a thunder tiger st1 rtr and just upgraded the engine to the
lrp .28 spec 3 pull-start with the reedy 3 chamber tuned pipe

i have broken the engine in with 7 tanks before giving it a good bashing
anyways my problem is my mid range and top end speed is pretty much the same i did not notice much difference at all is this normal or am i missing out on the serious fun with these engines?

The LRPs can take a bit of time to fully break in. So what I would do is just drive it around and put as much fuel through it as you can while keeping some good heat in there. From what I remember...the LRP28R Spec 3 likes to have a little over 1.5 gallons through it before it fully breaks in and rewards you with mind blowing power ;-) They are fast engines for sure....but they don't sip fuel!

I've got an EB Mods LRP28R Spec 3 (non pullstart) at home somewhere that I need to replace the con rod in one of these days. That engines SCREWS!

The LRPs can take a bit of time to fully break in. So what I would do is just drive it around and put as much fuel through it as you can while keeping some good heat in there. From what I remember...the LRP28R Spec 3 likes to have a little over 1.5 gallons through it before it fully breaks in and rewards you with mind blowing power ;-) They are fast engines for sure....but they don't sip fuel!

I've got an EB Mods LRP28R Spec 3 (non pullstart) at home somewhere that I need to replace the con rod in one of these days. That engines SCREWS!

thanks for the reply motogod
i forgot to mention the engine has drank about 7 litre 2 gallons us, bottom end is insane but i have seen other lrp 28 pop wheelies which mine does not =( any other suggestion to my problem

2 gallons should be plenty to get that LRP broken in and making insane power. How does it feel when you pull full throttle from a dead stop? Does it pull hard with decent smoke? Does it bog anywhere in the RPM Range?

Also with a Truggy...you will be hard pressed to make it lift the front wheels. The center differential will prevent this ;-) That's what it's there for....

2 gallons should be plenty to get that LRP broken in and making insane power. How does it feel when you pull full throttle from a dead stop? Does it pull hard with decent smoke? Does it bog anywhere in the RPM Range?

Also with a Truggy...you will be hard pressed to make it lift the front wheels. The center differential will prevent this ;-) That's what it's there for....

dead stop to full throttle takes like a bullet alot of smoke but it clears up after reaching mid range and it doesn't seem like there is bogging
from there mid range and top end seems to be the same speed i do not see the grunt in mid to top it only seem like the power just drops

You might still be a little rich on the high speed needle then. Lean it out 1-2 hours and see what happens. What kind of temps is it running after a few high speed passes?

just came back from a play i tryed leaning it bit by bit no more then half turn or else bottom end starts to stall from being to lean nothing change
would it be my exhaust?

I said to lean the high speed needle ;-) Which pipe are you running on it?

yeah thats what i done i leaned the hsn but anyways I'm running the reedy 2039 3 chamber pipe...........I'm thinking about taking it to a tuner its doing my head in hahahahh

Try the tuning guide in my signature, it's pretty simple to follow and if the engine is sound, it will tune right in. How long is the header you are using, it may be too long causing the engine to fall off on top.

Try the tuning guide in my signature, it's pretty simple to follow and if the engine is sound, it will tune right in. How long is the header you are using, it may be too long causing the engine to fall off on top.

yeah i will give that a try, but the header do not no the size but its this one

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...165572/n/Reedy-Exhaust-Manifold-Hard-Anodized

i was thinking of buying one of your exhaust cause i seen the videos look awsome

It's hard to tell from the picture, the header "looks" ok. I would try the tuning guide and see how it turns out.

To tell you the truth, I think it's the pipe. I had a spec3 in my 8-t a few years ago and had both a 2039 and 2035 pipe. It likes the 2035 a whole lot better.

I found the 2035 to be a good pipe on most engines I've ran.

I tried a miriad of pipes on my LRP's and they seemed to like the Losi HT LST2 pipe the best. Granted, I only tried "RTR" type pipes I had laying around.
HPI Savage Polished
HB Savage pipe
XTM maxx pipe
Losi LST1 pipe
HPI Ribbed (wow... deafening)
OFNA RTR buggy pipe
Losi LST2 HT pipe

Out of all of those, the HT pipe worked the best and even better with an MC8 plug. Really evened out the tune from idle to WOT.

thanks for or the advice guy
i asked a friend and he said try changing fuel tank because the thunder tiger one is rubbish so i brought the kyosho fuel tank and replace it and that shovle my problem i dnt no how it worked but the thing is a weapon =)

Some tanks just don't seal well or the shape of them isn't conducive to consistent tuning as the tank empties (hpi savage tank is notorious for that).