Low budget Mini-Z race track

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebkauff

RCTalk Champion
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
There's a lot of homemade Mini-Z tracks out there, but they all have small flaws that don't fit what i've been looking for. I wanted a modular track, where you can completely disassemble at and any of the pieces can be used in any position. So no, cutting or gluing. This is what I came up with.
mini track.jpeg

Mini track 2.jpeg

mini track 3.jpeg

I used Anti fatigue mats from harbor freight for the track surface. six packs, about $10 a pack. Four mats a pack (24 mats total)

I slotted the edge pieces together (theres 8 edge pieces a pack) to make the barriers. I held down the barriers with velcro cable ties from Amazon. (amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-Reusable-Fastening-Organizing) See the pictures for how I used them to hold the barrier down.

Now I need some ideas for how to make the outside edge barriers better. All they currently are, are edge pieces that have been rotated 90 degrees from the mat. They work, but they're quite flimsy and when they get hit multiple times (which happens a lot) they tend to fall off. Any ideas on how to secure them without using anything too permanent? All I can think of requires glue or cutting.

Very cool!

I have always loved those tracks. That's a lot cheaper than the ones you can buy. You could buy more of that foam and glue a stip on top of those edge pieces.

I could. But if I use glue my options for layout changes are a bit more limited. It might be the only option though
It would still be modular. Just make up those thin edge pieces two layers thick with extra foam. They will still be moveable.

Very cool track idea! Maybe you could pace 2x4's behind the outer rails for support or even glue foam to the 2x4's. would still be able to break them down. gotta get us some race pics!

Looks great

I used to race mini-z’s. Miss those days…

Very cool track idea! Maybe you could pace 2x4's behind the outer rails for support or even glue foam to the 2x4's. would still be able to break them down. gotta get us some race pics!
That could work. Or a PVC frame around it 🤔
Looks great

I used to race mini-z’s. Miss those days…
I haven't done any organized racing yet, but hopefully this winter

Love it, cool design. What about some garden edging like this? Of course you wouldn't nail it into the floor, but the L shape might mean you could attach it to the underside of the mat. Otherwise some heavy duty rope?

images.jpeg-20.jpg

Love it, cool design. What about some garden edging like this? Of course you wouldn't nail it into the floor, but the L shape might mean you could attach it to the underside of the mat. Otherwise some heavy duty rope?

View attachment 135963
Great ideas. Or get some pool noodles.

Those are both awesome ideas. The rope would probably be cheaper

Hopefully. Do you think nylon cord would work as well? If its tied fairly tight around the parameter of the track
Yeah for sure, the only reason I thought that traditional rope would be good is the weight, but if you can tie the nylon stuff then it doesn't matter.

Back