Losi Mini8 loses power even though battery isn't dead

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfranko

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I bought the iMax B6 charger and it just arrived, I plugged my battery in for charge and after the charger filled up 200 mah of juice the charger said that the battery is full and I was confused because the last time I used that battery, which was yesterday the battery was dead, I mean the car went very slow and lost power so yesterday I thought the battery was dead. But today I found out that the battery wasn't actually dead thanks to the charger. I took the car for another run today and the car lost power after 5 minutes of runtime and my battery only lost 200 mah again, its like I can only use 200 mah of my 3000 mah battery, I am suspicious that the car has something wrong with it because I get the same behavior with all my nimh batteries. It's like I can use my car full power for the first 200-300 mah. After it dies the ESC starts flashing a red light which indicates low battery according to the manual but the battery isn't low. What can be the problem? After I recharge the battery It again runs full power for 200-300 mah so I can't drive my car longer than 5-6 minutes. Nothing overheats, nothing feels hot to the touch as far as I can see.

Last edited:
esc setting? is it in 3 cell mode?.kinda sounds like it.

esc setting? is it in 3 cell mode?.kinda sounds like it.
I found the problem, the charger wasn’t actually charging the battery and it kept saying FULL despite the battery not being full. The battery was very cold to the touch when the charger said FULL and I got suspicious that the charger is false reporting the fullness. I force charged the battery until it was warm to the touch to ensure that it was actually fully charged and I took the car for another run and it lasted 20-25 minutes.

so this was user error ..got you this was a nimh battery and delta peak was set to low.. try charging those nimh batts at lowest amperage we dont use mah it tells use nothing.

so this was user error ..got you this was a nimh battery and delta peak was set to low.. try charging those nimh batts at lowest amperage we dont use mah it tells use nothing.
Yeah they are nimh batteries. I increased the delta peak from the charger’s settings and it works now. What do you mean by charging them at lowest amperage? Currently I charge them with 1.5C

your charge rate will kill them sooner.. the smallest charge will allow charger to balance charge condition batteries to near the same voltage in each cell.