Losi LST XXL, Traxxas Revo 3.3 or HPI Savage XL?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGWGM

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi all, my first thread/post here. I'm on the market for a nitro monster truck and would like to get some inputs from you guys before making a decision.

After reading/viewing some reviews and videos from different sites, I'm leaning towards the Losi LST XXL over the Savage XL and Revo 3.3 but still open for any suggestions.

Do you guys think the Losi XXL is the better buy?

Thanks in advance!

- LGWGM

Last edited:
I have a Savage, a XXL, and an LST2 - Electric conversion. I love the XXL and my LST2-E. The Savage is probably a little tougher out of the box and probably has a little more in the way of aftermarket hop ups but I love how easy the XXL is to work on and it handles better than a savage....way better. I've never owned a Revo so I can't speak for them but my Favorite kits are my XXL and my LST2-E.

I've got a XXL that I'm putting together to sell. It will be brand new and will have everything but the TX/RX. I have a brand new .28 that I could throw in it as well for a little extra. It will be a week or so before I have it put together and ready to sell. I'm waiting on 2 or 3 parts to come in that I was missing. PM me if you are interested.

I don't have a Savage, but I love my XXL. With the price of a Revo, I would just spend the little extra and get the Losi. The XXL and Savage are true 1/8 scale big block powered MTs, while the Revo is almost a 1/8 with the power plant of a 1/10 truck. The Losi also comes with a much better trx/rx than the Revo (I can't stand the menu tree), and it is unbelievably easy to work on. Don't get me wrong the Revo is a great truck with a devoted following and TONS of aftermarket parts. One of the good things about the Revo is the fact that you can shove a HUGE engine in it and have crazy power, just be ready to spend extra and build the truck and it's drivetrain to handle the power.

I have a Savage, a XXL, and an LST2 - Electric conversion. I love the XXL and my LST2-E. The Savage is probably a little tougher out of the box and probably has a little more in the way of aftermarket hop ups but I love how easy the XXL is to work on and it handles better than a savage....way better. I've never owned a Revo so I can't speak for them but my Favorite kits are my XXL and my LST2-E.
Seems not only one person to confirm Savage XL is tougher than XXL and ntrain42 also suggests to boil all the plastic parts for an hour or two when new. Now I wonder if the XXL built is under par or its just the Savage that is built like a tank?

And for the aftermarket hop ups, a little more for Savage XL but doesn't mean very limited for XXL major hop ups? (hope so, lol)

Good to know the handling is good on XXL as I'm planning on running it on dirt at high speed as well.

I've got a XXL that I'm putting together to sell. It will be brand new and will have everything but the TX/RX. I have a brand new .28 that I could throw in it as well for a little extra. It will be a week or so before I have it put together and ready to sell. I'm waiting on 2 or 3 parts to come in that I was missing. PM me if you are interested.
pm sent.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

I don't have a Savage, but I love my XXL. With the price of a Revo, I would just spend the little extra and get the Losi. The XXL and Savage are true 1/8 scale big block powered MTs, while the Revo is almost a 1/8 with the power plant of a 1/10 truck. The Losi also comes with a much better trx/rx than the Revo (I can't stand the menu tree), and it is unbelievably easy to work on. Don't get me wrong the Revo is a great truck with a devoted following and TONS of aftermarket parts. One of the good things about the Revo is the fact that you can shove a HUGE engine in it and have crazy power, just be ready to spend extra and build the truck and it's drivetrain to handle the power.
Thanks for the input esp. for the Revo power plant (didn't realize it uses 1/10 size).

Guess, Revo is out of the options now :)

Theres a lot of Revo lovers out there but my personal opinion is that it isnt in the same league as the XXL or Savage. There are aftermarket parts for the XXL just not quite as many as the Savage and the XXL is not sub par the Savage is just built like a tank from the get go. Honestly youd probably be happy either way you went here its just a question of spending a few extra bucks for some RPM arms on the XXL (and some people like to put the New Era Roll cage on it) and the XXL will be tough as a tank also.

Theres a lot of Revo lovers out there but my personal opinion is that it isnt in the same league as the XXL or Savage. There are aftermarket parts for the XXL just not quite as many as the Savage and the XXL is not sub par the Savage is just built like a tank from the get go. Honestly youd probably be happy either way you went here its just a question of spending a few extra bucks for some RPM arms on the XXL (and some people like to put the New Era Roll cage on it) and the XXL will be tough as a tank also.

Here's my XXL thread, the good the bad and the ugly lol. If you go with the XXL, pull the crappy plastic fuel filter off and replace it with a good aftermarket one. I use the Dynamite Big Daddy, you can get red, blue or titanium to "pimp yo' ride". Like I said earlier, I don't have a Savage, but I've heard they are really tough, the Losi can definitely hold it's own in the bashing department though. I have heard that the Savage XL's engine (5.9) is prone to giving tuning issues, the Losi on the other hand comes with an excellent engine. Either way, if it's your first NITRO rc, your engine will be used for tuning "training". After the stock engine goes poof (sometimes crunch/crack), you can get this beast and have an overpowered "smile maker".

^^+1. I own two savages and love them, but after getting my first LST, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Like greywolf said, the handling on the LST is much better than the savage. As for durability, the revo has a slim chance against its 1/8 scale counterparts. If I were you, I would lean more towards the XXL.

You can't trust Slinger, we're still waiting for a video of his LRP .30 powered XXL :D, I was hoping you'd chime in man.

when it came to MTs i always swore by my savage, but alas I may have been wrong. See I recieved a used, but pretty well kept LST2 that had sat around for a while. My original plan was to use the shocks for my savage, and see If it was worth rebuilding.

Well I ended up with enough parts to build 1 roller, and another truck minus drivetrain and electronics, and shocks. Also came with some Hard Anno parts. I looked at it, started messing with it a bit, and fell in love. Now I am converting it to brushless, and can't wait to see it run. Sure it will take some time and cash to get there, but I'm sure it will be worth every hour and penny spent.

Hands down other than having those small standard allen heads, its an easy truck to work on. So I can't say that I've completely converted to a complete LST2 Fan, but it is a great truck... If you didn't know the LST2 and XXL are virtually the same except chassis length and transmission gearing... theres other ones I'm sure, but those are the main ones I remember

Actually the only thing different about the XXL tranny is they took out the high/low selector switch. Other than that its identical gears. You can use the LST2 FOC kit on a XXL tranny.

The only other 4 differences besides the tranny is the motor is now a .28 instead of a .26, the chassis is slightly longer and therefore so are the drive shafts, The shocks are plastic now instead of aluminum, and the Rims are different now. Other than those minor differences they are identical. I think thats all the differences. 95% of the LST2 parts/hop ups can by used on a XXL.

I would like to thank you all for helping me on my journey to my first nitro MT :grouphug:
Just pulled the trigger on Losi LST XXL (still waiting for the tracking number).

Do you guys think these hop-ups are good to have or will I be wasting money for a little improvement? Also please advise what particular brand should I be looking for for each item? Thanks.

Aluminum C-Hubs (?)
Aluminum Shock body (?)
Dynamite Fuel Filter (Big Daddy)
GPM Engine Brace
Losi Dual rate springs (yellow?)
Losi Hard Ano Front Skid Plate
New Era Roll Bar
RPM A-arms
Shock covers (Losi?)
Shock Oil (?)

BAC Link (?)
Ball bearings (?)
Battery Pack (?)
Lunsford Titanium Turnbuckles (?)
M2C Motor Mount (?)
TiNi Shock Shaft (?)
Set screws (?)
Sway Bar (?)

EDS Hex Drivers 1/16 & 1/32 (?)
Locktite (?)
Allen Drivers (?)

Last edited:
Aluminum C-Hubs (?) - I just recently broke a c-hub for the first time a few weeks ago. I ordered GPM aluminum replacement (mainly cuz they were the only red ones I could find.) GPM stuff is decent but not quite as strong as Dynamite. I try to get dynamite aluminum parts for it when I can.

Aluminum Shock body (?) - can't really say much here. I bought aluminum shocks for mine and never even tried using the plastic ones. Personally if you got the money I would go aluminum here but The plastic ones will probably be fine also. I've never read anything about folks having issues with them.

Dynamite Fuel Filter (Big Daddy) - +1

GPM Engine Brace - I would try to find Dynamite but anything is better than the stock brace.

Losi Dual rate springs (yellow?) My springs arent dual rate but they are yellow. I like those for big jumps.

Losi Hard Ano Front Skid Plate - I wouldnt bother. Other than looks. I've never worn out a normal skid plate.

New Era Roll Bar - I never have but alot of guys sing the praises of this hop-up.

RPM A-arms - For me its a must for the fronts. I never put them in the back because i dont believe I've ever broken a rear arm.....its always the fronts.

Shock covers (Losi?) - Bling...nice looking but not necessary.

Shock Oil (?) - I use 60wt along with yellow springs. brand to me doesn't seem to matter much. I usually use the cheap stuff that TheToyz.com carries. cheapest shock oil I've found and every bit as good as Losi brand IMO. I think its Racers Edge brand but Id have to look to be sure.

BAC Link (?) - never needed them but I know Schroemode used it.

Ball bearings (?) - I just use cheap rubber sealed chinese bearings if/when I need replacements.

Battery Pack (?) I just bought a couple extra of the stock 5cell NiMH packs it comes with and use those.

Lunsford Titanium Turnbuckles (?) - I've only ever broken one turnbuckle so i havent hopped those up yet but if I was going to this is what I would use.

M2C Motor Mount (?) - I've never had a problem with the stock mount.

TiNi Shock Shaft (?) I have the TiNi in the fronts on both my XXL and my LST2....Never had a reason to replace teh rears.

Set screws (?) - If you actually mean set screws I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you meant a screw set in order to have spare screws I would look on ebay. there are a few on there.

Sway Bar (?) - I havent gotten around to trying out the sway bars....I've been wanting to for quite awhile though, at least on my LST2-E

EDS Hex Drivers 1/16 & 1/32 (?) - I own an entire set of Team EDS hex drivers and their exhaust spring tool. These things are boss. The tips are made from spring steel and the tips edges are ground so they have alot more bite and alot more strength than most other sets who use cast metals for their tips. The EDS tips are made from the same material, in the same fashion, and some folks claim they have their tips made by the same company that makes Hudy's tips. I believe this to be true since the tips look virtually identical to Hudy's but at a much cheaper cost. That is unless you have them engrave your name on them like I did which costs an extra $2 per tool. The 4 piece set (either standard or metric) is $40 plus shipping. Both sets together without engraving are 80 bucks, Hudy's are $118 minimum if you can find their big 8 piece set in stock. I ordered the 8 pieces plus the additional spring tool with all 9 pieces engraved plus shipping for $117 bucks. Love Team EDS I hope they never loose their quality.

Locktite (?) - always need blue

Allen Drivers (?) - See Team EDS above :)

Additionally I'll add that I personally like adding the LST2 wing to the kit myself :) Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton greywolf74, very detailed response. Hats off to you sir!

Well, I was on the net for few hours yet still missing some parts. Guess, its time to seek for some help again.

Here are the parts I failed to find:
New Era Roll Bar
RPM A-arms (or any suggested aluminum A-arms)
Losi Sway Bar (only one found but comes with a killer shipping fee, lol)
Ball bearing (which ones gets replaced more often?)
Battery pack (higher capacity)
Spare screw & nuts

* Is my 1/10th scale glow plug igniter compatible (fit) with the XXL glow plug?

* Is the engine mount different than engine brace?

Thanks a ton greywolf74, very detailed response. Hats off to you sir!

Well, I was on the net for few hours yet still missing some parts. Guess, its time to seek for some help again.

Here are the parts I failed to find:
New Era Roll Bar
RPM A-arms (or any suggested aluminum A-arms)
Losi Sway Bar (only one found but comes with a killer shipping fee, lol)
Ball bearing (which ones gets replaced more often?)
Battery pack (higher capacity)
Spare screw & nuts

* Is my 1/10th scale glow plug igniter compatible (fit) with the XXL glow plug?

* Is the engine mount different than engine brace?

for the new era roll bar this is the electric version. call New Era and see if they have any of the nitro ones in stock.

E-LST2/XXL New Era Roll Bar

For the RPM A Arms I found them on ebay

RPM a arms

to run these on the lst2/xxl your need an adapter kit

RPM a arm adapter kit

Sway bar kit again on ebay

Sway Bar Kit

As far as your bearings here is a list of ones you need here goto fast eddies website for bearings.

MR85 2RS 5x8x2.5 4 PCS
MR105 2RS 5x10x4 2 PCS
MR106 2RS 6x10x3 8 PCS
MR126 2RS 6x12x4 4 PCS
MF126 2RS 6x12x4 Flanged 4 PCS
688 2RS 8x16x5 12 PCS
6702 2RS 15x21x4 4 PCS

for screws I goto ACE hardware with a list of the screws from the manual and go picking :) much cheaper this way.

Can anyone confirm it the said RPM A-arm is the right one for LST XXL? I'm a bit confused coz the photo from the given link shows pointed at one end?

EDIT:
Nvm found the answer. GPM a-arm was the culprit (showing me the wrong item)

Last edited:
The reason everyone suggest the roll bar is because the engine on the LST rises above the shock tower. That means that a bad landing upside down w/o the lid will result in a full impact to the engine. I have even heard reports of bent chassis's. Congrats on your first Losi MT!

Back