Losi LST Problems!! HELP PLEASE!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAXX-LST

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently purchased a used Losi LST, It ran great for about two days then i started hearing a clicking noise when i would hit the throttle. I didn't think much of it, so i continued to drive it. not its got worse it sounds like a clapping or gears slipping sound coming from the rear. I am new to Losi products so i haven't took it apart. The truck roles just fine with no resistance of any kind its just when i hit the throttle. Any help would be great.

Thank you

Odd, but does sound like the rear diff is shelled on you. Which is somewhat odd as I've gotten 14+ gallons out of the gears in my aftershock diffs. Replaced the diff cups/oil at about 10 gallons with the HD cups and 50K. Gears remain all original.

Or, your one way bearing in the two speed is slipping and your hearing it from the rear of the truck because that's where most of your forward torque ends up. That's a more prevalent issue than the diffs, but is hard to diagnose. Looking at the diff is easy, to at least rule it out.

Mine lasted roughly 8 gallons with HEAVY HEAVY stress on the rig, being my sled puller.

I would start at the wheels and work my way in. Check the hex pins and make sure one is not slipping. Check and make sure there are no rocks in the wheels. Check the outdrive CVD's and make sure you have not lost a grub screw. They retain pins that can come halfway out (before they drop all the way out). Then from there move on to the diff. I'm not saying it's NOT the diff, I would just work from the wheels in eliminating any other culprit first. Good luck!

Here is a link to the LST manual and parts explosion: http://www.losi.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdId=LOSB0010

thanx everyone for your input. i havent had a chance to work on it but i did start it up and now its not making any noise but i only have front wheel drive

Post removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
might wana read the rules

i read the rules but i'm still not sure what i did that was so bad.

on the other hand is it pretty safe to say its the rear diff since, i'm down to front wheel drive?

you tried to sell in open forum without qualifying to even use the classifieds to sell.

and i agree with my first post on here. rear diff.

i read the rules but i'm still not sure what i did that was so bad.

on the other hand is it pretty safe to say its the rear diff since, i'm down to front wheel drive?

Not necessarily. I thought I lost my rear diff 'cause I only had front wheel drive. After I actually looked into the situation I found that I had one rear wheel that had lost a hex pin and the other side had lost a grub screw. If you don't wanna heed my advice, by all means tear into the diff.

As for what no-no you pulled: if you are that ignorant about what rules you broke then I don't expect you to follow anyone's advice either. Out.

More Problems.

Not necessarily. I thought I lost my rear diff 'cause I only had front wheel drive. After I actually looked into the situation I found that I had one rear wheel that had lost a hex pin and the other side had lost a grub screw. If you don't wanna heed my advice, by all means tear into the diff.

As for what no-no you pulled: if you are that ignorant about what rules you broke then I don't expect you to follow anyone's advice either. Out.

Easy about the whole rule thing! I've been on many forums and u can buy,sell, trade the first day.

Anyways moving forward i found the problem, the rear diff case was cracked causing it slip and make that clacking sound. I replaced it and bashed a little, when i realized it didn't have a enough power for me. So i bought a LRP .30 Spec 2.

Now the truck is a beast, but i have a problem i keep snaping rear CV driveshafts. I loosen the slipper clutch, but it still broke once again.

Will smaller lighter wheels help?

Do they make stronger shafts?

Any input will help, dont want to spend another $35 to break them.

its not the center rear shaft, i'm talk about the cvd shaft that goes from the rear diff to the wheels. I keep snapping it right where the pin goes.

What pin? The one in the CV joint itself or the dog eared one near the diff? Are you just snapping pins or twisting the ends off the axle?