Losi Aftershock

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez830

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just got an offer for a Losi Aftershock, and before I reply I want to know what you guys think of the truck. Also are the parts easy to get, thats always my worry that parts are not easily gotten.
Thanks

Parts can be ordered from horizon hobby . They are their biggest distributors. All parts can be upgraded to an LST2. RPM carries certain but common replacment parts.

My bro has one. Not as strong out of the box as a LST or LST2. BUT a strong contender.

Alright, thanks

I have one, and if i still ran nitro, it would be the only MT I would drive.

Are there any downsides to the truck?

The only downsides are fixable with LST2 parts, a bit of RPM and lunsford.

I have an aftershock. First thing I did was replace the arms with RPM and used lunsford titanium turnbuckles in the upper RPM arms. Then I replaced the pipe. I ran it that way for a few months, then got the itch towards the end of that summer (bought it in april almost 2 years ago) to get more power, so I got the LRP28S3. Which was followed promptly by the LST2 two speed as the LRP mangled the stock two speed.

I also replaced the shocks with LST2 shocks off ebay. Not sure it was necessary... I just wanted the bling. ;)

The only items I wouldn't have replaced on the LST2 (if I bought it instead) would have been the two speed, the pipe and the shocks. I would have done RPM arms, LRP engine, converted the trans to high only with an FOC and lunsford turnbuckles all around.

Cost wise, I probably came out at least $100 better than I would have if I had bought the LST2. But, I already had a radio, so I didn't need the one on the LST2 or the aftershock. So, paying extra for the better radio at the time would have been a waste.

Okay, thanks for the info

Downsides:

Pipe is very restrictive.

Clutch shoes are not upto par with an 1/8th scale buggy

Wheel Huns are 14mm. A. Upgrade to 17mm would be ideal and opens up wheel selection.

Radio is AM.
No failsafe.
Steering servoes not strong enough.
A lipo RX battery pack would be great to give some extra juice to the servoes as well as add longer run times as opposed to a regular 5 cell rechargeable RX pack.

The side rails are problem to the Whole LST series.

Just to name a few

I might just try getting another truck then. I was debating on the T-Maxx or the Aftershock.
Thanks for the help

geez... went from not too bad to worse.

Sorry... I guess it may just be my opinion, but I'd go with the aftershock before I even thought about a maxx. Basically, when I got the aftershock, I then sold my heavily modified revo because I no longer drove it. I did the same with my maxx's when I got the revo.

lol, well I'm gonna read about both of them more and I'll see what I like more.

The only problem that i had with the aftershock, was the primer in the fuel tank, and the fuel filter had to be moved.

I love mine, and if i had the $$ to put into it for a brushless conversion i would tear that beast apart. I primarily used mine as a sled pull rig, and it never failed me.

I have but one thing to add: The T-Maxx wishes it could be a Losi. Even with the few small issues the Aftershock has it is miles ahead of the Maxx in most every way...

as a previous owner of a maxx and a current owner of an aftershock, I would say aftershock hands down. I've had a few minor problems with my aftershock, but there things you would expect for hard bashing. like breaking a-arms and driveshafts.

the maxx I had would break if I looked at it funny...

I was reading some reviews and the one said that the engine is hard to tune and the radio glitches a lot. Is this a common problem?

It can be hard to tune, but IMHO every mill can be a headache. as far as radio glitching, usually a fully charged battery on both the reciever and radio along with a failsafe will keep it negligable. I've never had any glitching problems unless I've had a low battery

Okay thanks for clearing that up

Okay, Aftershock all the way.

The Mach 26 isn't a bad engine and with a little know how it isn't that hard to tune and can put out a little power. The radio, is top of the line that you get ready to run, Look at any other RTR truck out there, not ONLY is it going to be AM but a cheesy looking cheap one as well. Losi offers the best Radios for their RTR cars and trucks. The Servos are just as good torque wise and have the added bonus of being metal geared. (again, not in any other trucks) The tranny is also, fully metal geared and stronger then most others.

Other the 14mm hexs, which are common on almost ALL RTR's, it's a very solid truck and bashes with the best. It's a very strong design but also has a very good handling bonus that a lot of racer like. The shocks are massive and act like a pillow every time it takes big air. You can't go wrong with the truck at all, and with a little extra's and some work you can have a bad ass truck. Plus it's dirt cheap.

So do you think that $300 (246.883 USD) is a good deal for a used Aftershock. He says its still in original box, so I don't know if its new or he just has the original box lol.
I'm most likely going to go for the Aftershock then.

it depends on the condition, they go for 369.00 usd brand new with radio...