Losi aftershock stuck in 2nd gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losi B-rad

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi
My losi aftershock is stuck in second gear, and wont come out.
When it is of and i try to pull it back the wheels dont move back but they do go forward.
Anyone know how to get it out of 2nd gear???????

It sounds like the centrifugal clutch spring is broken or stuck. Idk about the Losi trucks, but it happens with Traxxas trucks

Sounds like what happened to mine when I was breaking in the LRP. The aftershock's 2 speed assembly is very weak and prone to failure over time. The aluminum ring molded into the 2nd gear spur isn't enough to deal with the forces the shoes put on them and it bends/warps. When it does this, the steel pellet in the shoes goes beyond the flat spot on the cam/shaft it spins on and jams it into 2nd gear permanently.

This is the shaft with the flat spot I was talking about:
2009-0726-LST2-2SpeedShaft02.jpg

You can see where my shoes jumped the flat spot and spun around on the rounded areas.

My suggestion is to get an LST* 2 speed assembly. You can usually find them on ebay, but you have to be careful and look closely at the photo's so someone doesn't sell you the aftershock version instead.

So how can i tell the difference between the lst2 and aftershock? Are they very hard to install??
Thanks for ur help guys:)

The one you don't want doesn't have a silver hub for the first gear holding the one way bearing and a silver hub for the second gear where the 2 speed shoes go.

First though, I'd take yours apart and see if that's your issue. It's not hard to take apart, you just have to remember the order that parts go back on. Having a parts explosion helps.

You take off the slipper nut, then take all the pieces off one at a time.
nut -> washer -> spring-> washer -> thrust bearing -> washer -> 1st gear -> washer -> 2nd gear

Then put them back on in reverse order. Once you get the first gear off, you can see the second gear to see if the shoes are jammed up on you.

This is a two speed you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LOSI-LST-XX...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b8630bf4
Ebay Item: 140532452340
The big round aluminum pieces is the 2nd gear hub that the shoes are in.

This is one you don't want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Losi-After...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588daf0103
Item: 380334178563
The gear with the aluminum ring is the gear the 2 speed shoes are in.

Pretty easy to spot the wrong one.

What would i have to buy to change it to single speed?????

I have a lst and made it a xxl. Got An extended chassis and drive shafts. I have had the same 2nd gear problem. Replaced everything and still does it. Thanks for your info.

Did you make sure both 2 speed clutch screws were adjusted properly? The factory shift point for the set screws are 5 turns out from bottom.