Losi Aftershock petrol/Electric conversion.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RcDCO2W

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Evening guys n gals
just converting a losi Aftershock from nitro to electric, only ever had nitro cars YEARS ago as a teenager. Anyway, any of you guys done it and can answer some questions for me plz
Just wondering as my steering servos are right up front under the receiver box, but most diagrams I’ve seen have them set further back and the other way up!! Does this make a difference in any way ?! Running a serum combo 1900kv with two 5000mah 11.1v packs
Probably a lot more questions too lol
Oh also on a single speed box if it makes a difference
Motor and packs arrive Thursday, hoping I can set it up and it’s as fast a people says it Will be .
C6BC908C-E204-41A6-8D29-02F9ADC28B4A.jpeg
C70F663E-4F10-43C0-8E92-E2ED8F9C57D7.jpeg
B4A309EC-7C52-4DE1-99F3-30FB82B1DF57.jpeg
FE854118-6B1F-4F7A-9F47-13C1DEAE2993.jpeg

Attachments

• 8EECD543-15AD-46D0-94E6-ACBBDDF1B118.jpeg
    8EECD543-15AD-46D0-94E6-ACBBDDF1B118.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 148
that is the correct orientation for the steering servos, same as both my LSTs anyway. definitely going to be watching this build!
what manuals/diagrams are you seeing the servos the other way?

XERUM COMBO XR 19000

Not serum ???
Sorry guys new to this lark ??
that is the correct orientation for the steering servos, same as both my LSTs anyway. definitely going to be watching this build!
what manuals/diagrams are you seeing the servos the other way?
hi thanks for the reply, I’ve seen diagrams with them the same way as mine but came across a couple that where opposite I’m not sure I have a Copy
Just made me wonder like I say I’m new to all this just a bit of an idea lol
Ah yes found it

Attachments

• 158A2125-B4E4-44B0-9DA9-48F6CAB3F72C.jpeg
    158A2125-B4E4-44B0-9DA9-48F6CAB3F72C.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 100
ahh i see, those servos are the throttle/brake, and forward/reverse shift servos, if it were nitro the one would connect to the carb, the other to the brake lever, and the other would go to the transmission.
i assume as you are doing brushless you are going to "Forward only conversion" or "FOC" the transmission. so both of those are no longer necessary.
if not i would recommend to FOC as it will reduce the rotating mass in the drivetrain. and the motor itself has reverse so wont need it.
if not you can mechanically lock the forward/reverse to stay in forward only, or still have the f/r hooked up and just make sure the servo has it stayed in forward.

ahh i see, those servos are the throttle/brake, and forward/reverse shift servos, if it were nitro the one would connect to the carb, the other to the brake lever, and the other would go to the transmission.
i assume as you are doing brushless you are going to "Forward only conversion" or "FOC" the transmission. so both of those are no longer necessary.
if not i would recommend to FOC as it will reduce the rotating mass in the drivetrain. and the motor itself has reverse so wont need it.
if not you can mechanically lock the forward/reverse to stay in forward only, or still have the f/r hooked up and just make sure the servo has it stayed in forward.
Yes that’s exactly what I’m going for, my mistake with the image lol
I’m told this conversion I’m doing with be quite quick
I’m hoping so

disregard the "if not" items above, it looks as though you already have a FOC trans.
are you going to single speed the 1-2? or leave it so it will shift?

Yes that’s exactly what I’m going for, my mistake with the image lol
I’m told this conversion I’m doing with be quite quick
I’m hoping so
all good! better to know too much and be sure, than to know too little and guess.

The aftershock was FOC only. I had one of those many years ago as well. Way before I started running electric. Kind of wish I still had it considering what I had into it. HCR chassis, custom chassis front->center skid, hard anno'd center skid, etc. Throw a single speed conversion on it, an 2000kv 4074 or longer/lower kv for more torque with a HW Max6 and 6S, then off to the races!

My last straw with it as nitro was the two speed. I got tired of it constantly hopping the flat spots on the input shaft when it shifted into second. Then it would lock up and usualy take a spur out. Going electric would have mitigated that. lol!

There was a transmission gear flip mod you could do to increase the speed, but that was mostly done because buying a 3 piece bell with aftermarket pinions was pricey and the mod would like adding +1 bell gears, and it was free. I did both as I ran smaller 3.8" tires on mine with an LRP28. With even just the +1 mod, it would top out very quickly. All of which is easily/cheaply mitigated by changing the pinion on a brushless motor.

FWIW, your servo orientation looks like how I had mine.

XERUM COMBO XR 19000

Not serum ???
Sorry guys new to this lark ??

hi thanks for the reply, I’ve seen diagrams with them the same way as mine but came across a couple that where opposite I’m not sure I have a Copy
Just made me wonder like I say I’m new to all this just a bit of an idea lol
Ah yes found it
I'm guessing the conversion kit photo you see was just showing you what you were going to be removing. Neither of those servos would be necessary with a FOC transmission, but the shifting one might be if it was a fwd/reverse transmission to keep it in forward gear.

Odd, appears the conversion kit has you keeping the 2 speed...
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOSB0017_Manual.pdf

I wouldn't. That thing couldn't even handle the torque of nitro for very long... as I mentioned above in my ramblings.

Last edited:
Can somebody explain why on an electric conversion would you still have the brake servo connected
Excuse me I’m new to this

Can somebody explain why on an electric conversion would you still have the brake servo connected

Attachments

• 6969DDFF-2D19-436B-8684-1A8205A15284.png
    6969DDFF-2D19-436B-8684-1A8205A15284.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
typically no you would not keep the brakes. you can if you have a channel mixing controller. it can add an extra break feature and take some stress off the motor/esc for braking, but typically brakes are removed for E-conversions.

Looking at the instructions for the "losi conversion", it appears they are keeping the two speed and owb in the two speed. Without mechanical brakes, it won't stop. It also won't go in reverse without the shifting servo.

But, if you get something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-LST2-XXL2-Brushless-Conversion-Single-Speed-Hub-LST-/282545692018

Or this:
http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB3408

Then you remove the two speed (which I think you should do anyway to run brushless) and then the motor is your brake and also reverse, so you can lock it into forward (somehow) and remove the f/r servo as well.

This is a forward only conversion if you have the LST2. If you have the aftershock (only high speed trans and forward only), you don't need it:
http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB3130

The LST2 has forward/reverse mechanical in the transmission and also a "high/low" selector knob that you manually twist for a high/low gear ratio inside the transmission. The two speed outside of the transmission effectively gives it 4 speeds. 2 in low and 2 in high. The aftershock has none of that and it has a crappy OWB assembly molded into one of the spurs. I replaced the two speed assembly with the LST1/2, but it still was a pain when running a higher torque engine. The two speed pucks would slip over the flat spot and it would lock the transmission.

typically no you would not keep the brakes. you can if you have a channel mixing controller. it can add an extra break feature and take some stress off the motor/esc for braking, but typically brakes are removed for E-conversions.
Mmmmm just as I thought
Cheers pal

Mmmmm just as I thought
Cheers pal
do make sure to read/review what @olds97_lss posted. the BL conversions i had seen done typically got rid of the 2 speed as they become weak and break often under brushless power. so i didnt even think about it staying on for that conversion.
the 1-2 speed spurs have a "one way bearing in the center of them so that they wont engage and be in both gears at the same time. making it so they do not transfer any torque backwards. yielding a BL motors brake and reverse functions not able to be used.

id recommend a single speed hub for your conversion as Olds had linked to above if you hadnt already planned it. (BL is fast and torquey enough it doesn't need the 1st gear in most cases.)

Looking at the instructions for the "losi conversion", it appears they are keeping the two speed and owb in the two speed. Without mechanical brakes, it won't stop. It also won't go in reverse without the shifting servo.

But, if you get something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-LST2-XXL2-Brushless-Conversion-Single-Speed-Hub-LST-/282545692018

Or this:
http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB3408

Then you remove the two speed (which I think you should do anyway to run brushless) and then the motor is your brake and also reverse, so you can lock it into forward (somehow) and remove the f/r servo as well.

This is a forward only conversion if you have the LST2. If you have the aftershock (only high speed trans and forward only), you don't need it:
http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB3130

The LST2 has forward/reverse mechanical in the transmission and also a "high/low" selector knob that you manually twist for a high/low gear ratio inside the transmission. The two speed outside of the transmission effectively gives it 4 speeds. 2 in low and 2 in high. The aftershock has none of that and it has a crappy OWB assembly molded into one of the spurs. I replaced the two speed assembly with the LST1/2, but it still was a pain when running a higher torque engine. The two speed pucks would slip over the flat spot and it would lock the transmission.

this single speed isn’t it ?’

Attachments

• DA6B9E59-EC90-4F40-B89F-36CF3286FD69.jpeg
    DA6B9E59-EC90-4F40-B89F-36CF3286FD69.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 79
that is a forward only conversion, the black spurs are the 1-2 speed gears.
1583336537019.png

Same as mine then?! Ok with a 1900kv xerun motor ?! Combo With ESC and two 5000mah 11.1v packs ??.
Correct me if I’m wrong
So I’m ok to fit the larger and smaller cogs to the motor to drive the two large original 1,2nd gears?!
2F609A2D-27DB-4495-AF49-E7ADF25B80F0.jpeg

Back