Losi 8ight burnt pull start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP-12

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
My little brother saved up for his first RC and on his first run after break in something flew off the back of the RC while flying down the road.
Run down to find out what it was and come to find out, the pull starter cord melted off...
What would our options be as far as fixing it?
Should I contact Losi?

Attachments

• 92F55EBE-925A-4352-99E2-60624A58338C.jpeg
    92F55EBE-925A-4352-99E2-60624A58338C.jpeg
    632.8 KB · Views: 99
  • DE1F5992-D44E-4E1C-9C39-CF4C85627F07.jpeg
    DE1F5992-D44E-4E1C-9C39-CF4C85627F07.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 77
When the pull-start broke on my GX15, I started testing with various materials to replace the cord with (including guitar strings - didn't work well), but eventually I cut a small piece of one of those curtain pull ropes (WAY thicker than normal pull cords), and it, to my surprise, went in pretty snug, although I had to enlarge that one tiny hole on the pull-start assembly. Worked just like the old cord, but I'd have bet my nuts it wouldn't have ruptured again. That thing is madly strong.
Although it probably wouldn't withstand melting too good. How on earth did the cord melt, either way?

I have no idea how it happened. I had it tuned to a good temp for him, but I wasn’t outside when it happened.
I don’t think it had the little plastic protector that most I’ve seen have under the handle.
Either way I was able to pick him up a new starter for $10. So not bad.

I have no idea how it happened. I had it tuned to a good temp for him, but I wasn’t outside when it happened.
I don’t think it had the little plastic protector that most I’ve seen have under the handle.
Either way I was able to pick him up a new starter for $10. So not bad.
That's cool. I would recommend looking into a starter box, they don't require a pullstart and they never break.

Back