Losi 5ive-T 2.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dusty-

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I've been recently thinking about getting one and was wondering if anyone here has one or had any experience with the 5ive T. Not really a huge SCT kinda guy but this thing looks like it would be super fun.

Are there any other 1/5th gas vehicles that can compare to the 5ive T?? Are there any weakspots or anything I should look at if I do end up getting one?

Yea, I was also looking at the MTXL as well. From the little research I've done, Losi seems to be the dependable brand in this scale. I haven't read too much on the redcat but does look interesting and a lot cheaper. I'm in no rush so I will just take my time and try to read reviews and look on forums and such

Last edited:
The Losi 5ive is one of the most, or probably the most durable and well know 5th scale RC gas car. There are many many aftermarket tuning parts available. Since Losi came out with the 2.0 recently, an already good platform is even further improved. There are many aftermarket tuning parts available for this platform, but ofcourse not all will fit on the 2.0 since they slightly changed some things. But most of them will fit. Just check it on forehand. Bigscale RC cars can be a lot of fun, much different than 8th scale electric RC cars. Both have their pros and cons.

The Losi MTXL is also a very durable basher, I have one in my collection and love it. It needs some upgrades, but after that it is very reliable and strong.

You can skip the DBXL, it is not a very good car. Ofcourse when it's fully upgraded it can be made into a good car, but it's not worth it.

Last edited:
I also like the HPI Baja bigscale cars by the way. That's why I have 3 of them! They can be bought fairly cheap used and are loads of fun with their 2WD (Rear) driveline . They can be very fast also! 60mph is possible with a powerfull motor and the right gearing. Much different than a Losi 5ive with it's 4WD drivetrain and wider chassis. It's a matter of taste and preference.

Last edited:
Yea I seen that a few days ago, was tempting but I decided to get the 2.0 instead :p

Just sitting here :sleep::sleep::sleep: waiting for it to get delivered ahahah

Thanks! I am pretty excited, already got some goodies for it. I had to order from the US though because it ended up being cheaper that way. Waiting is the hardest part!

The good news is that next week should be nice, so I should be able to break it in and have a few runs before it gets really cold

@-Dusty- if you order anything from largescalerc.com you can use coupon code LSF to save 5%! ;)

Thx Woodie! I can see myself putting that to use here in the near future (y)

When the 5T first came out this was one of the the first guys if not the first guy to convert one into brushless. I contacted him and he assisted me in building mine and I modeled it like his with the same speed control and castle motor but a little different set up. not too many were attempting to convert these in the beginning most people were trying to put a larger gas engine on it. but the electric was always faster than the gas, not even close. It was insane, fastest RC I've ever had. They're pretty tough and a lot of fun.

When the 5T first came out this was one of the the first guys if not the first guy to convert one into brushless. I contacted him and he assisted me in building mine and I modeled it like his with the same speed control and castle motor but a little different set up. not too many were attempting to convert these in the beginning most people were trying to put a larger gas engine on it. but the electric was always faster than the gas, not even close. It was insane, fastest RC I've ever had. They're pretty tough and a lot of fun.

Yes in most cases a very powerful brushless setup will be faster than a gas powered motor. No argument there. Or you have to go bigbore like the ALX and RCmax gas powered engines. You can buy those from 40 - 78CC. Those will surpass the brushless engines or at least compete with them. But most people will be comparing brushless engines with the more common standard size gas powered engines like the 29cc - 32cc Zenoah type engines. So yeah...in that case brushless is faster, but is it more fun? Don't get me wrong, I like brushless cars, I have 3 Arrma cars and also 2 Wltoys cars. All of them are electric powered. I like brushless/electric motors in my 1:10 and 1:8 scale cars. But a 1:5 RC car (bigscale) should be gas powered in my opinion. I also see people converting a Losi MTXL to brushless, which is a dead shame also in my opinion. Those big bastards need to smoke, make noise and smell like gasoline mixed with oil. It all adds up to the driving experience. Just my opinion ofcourse, everybody is entitled to their own.

Besides the sound, smoke, smell and all those other good things that make driving a gas powered bigscale car more of a sensation than driving a brushless car, there are more benefits from using a gas powered engine in your bigscale car. I assume you all heard them before, but it doesn't mean it is any less true. Here are the most important "pros" for me:
- Longer runtime (up to 30-45 minutes on one gas tank)
- Power from beginning to the end. No lipo power dip.
- Lipo's are very expensive and you need a lot of good quality ones to power up a bigscale RC car. You need to buy several sets if you want to drive more than ones every time.
- A gas engine doesn't go bad over time, when you let it sit in your garage for example for one year. Ofcourse there are some things you need to take care of, like adding fuel stabilizer to your gasoline etc but that's it for the most part. A lipo battery will go bad over time. Even when it's not used and stored in room temperature on storage voltage (3.8v per cell) it's performance will go downhill.

Ofcourse I didn't meant to start a discussion here about gas or even nitro powered vehicles vs brushless. I just wanted to share my point of view on this subject. The brushless Losi 5ive in the video above looks like a lot of fun, and it's cool project. But I would never convert a gas powered car like that to brushless. I have my 1:8 and 1:10 rc cars for that.

It finally arrived. My transmitter is still on its way, so no driving yet,. Hopefully it comes in tomorrow or the next day
IMG_0344 - Copy.JPG

Back