Looking to upgrade brakes on baja 5B SS, ideas?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dauneq1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi there, this is my first post ever! Thanks for reading it. I purchased a used HPI Baja 5B SS and I am not to impressed with it's stopping ability.

I have tried to adjust the 'Brake Adjustment Dial' and the buggy still doesn't stop like I want it to. I am not looking to mess with hydraulics or the regular front brakes either.

Is there anything I can do with the rear brakes, like get a better disc or something?

Thanks

Check out Dave's Discount Motors. DDM.com has some different optional brakes for the Baja. Great people to deal with.

Plus one on the TNG brake set-up. I don't have it but have tried it out on other peoples rides. Real good set up esp. with a decent high torque servo. DDM is where I get 90% of my Baja stuff from.

Plus 1 on the full force or tgn set up. But try adding a fresh piece of fuel line on the brake rod first. I did that and the brakes we much better.

Thank you for replying hamz9561, robmob, frickenjoey, and savagefan04.

What do you guys think of http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3599/.f?

Can I just take out what is in the baja right now and install the one above?

Savagefan04, I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Can you please explain? or a pic would be really helpful.

Thanks

dauneq1 - yes you can just remove the stock unit and replace with the item above...if it were stock.

as for the fuel tube mod...the rod that is moved by the servo to open and close the break cam should have a piece of fuel tubing on it near the thumb wheel. the tubing goes between the thumb wheel and break cam lever. here is a picture. hopefully it helps

picture.php

Thanks for the pic savagefan04! In my setup (which is the stock setup), there is a spring in the place of the fuel line that you have.

I guess the fuel line causes it to stop better, faster?!

the spring tends to be a bit soft or get soft after some time. the fuel holds its 'toughness' a bet better. the best part is its a cheap mod.

Back