Looking to switch buggies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrock32

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I currently run a Kyosho WC and thinking about switching to an 8ight or a MBX5R? Our club track is pretty large. In fact we are hosting the nats here next week. A lot of guys are switching to the 8ight, but I'm also thinking about the Mugen.
I drive pretty smooth. I want something that will stick better going in and out of the corners and has a smooth suspension. Something that will soak up the bumps.
I love my WC, but think its restricting me a bit. It has been a very durable car.
I run a B7 Pro with a JP3, JR 9000 servos and M11 radio, if this helps.

If you drive with finesse the Losi might fit you driving style better. The Mugen likes (and rewards) for being pushed hard and driven aggresively where as the Losi bucks back if you do the same. They are both great buggies. Colton was running a Mugen til he got picked up with OCM, talk to him. I personally run a 5R and a 5T, you'll see my 5R on it's lid alot next week!

Cool! I'm not going to race the nats, but will be racing this Tuesday for the club race. I plan on working the nats. Are you coming to the club race Tue? The track is in awsome shape. We redid all of the wiring, added a lot more power and of course re did the track. Pucci was on the bobcat for a couple days and did a great job.
Whats your name and Ill look for you. Good luck!

I saw some pix, track looks good, technical. I won't get there until thursday, work related crap to deal with. Frank Cascio, Colton can point me out, tell him Frank from Indy that runs with Steve Christian. I have a grey 6x14 v-nose trailer.

Wow Jet, nothing negative about the 8ight. :celebrate3: J/K

I got one and loving it. I agree with Jet. If you drive smooth the Losi is your ticket, but it does take a lot of attention when setting up the throttle linkage.

I got one and loving it. I agree with Jet. If you drive smooth the Losi is your ticket, but it does take a lot of attention when setting up the throttle linkage.

They look like they drive and handle very smooth. I'm very interested in it, but also like the Mugen. What do you have to pay attention to when setting up the throttle?

What are yalls likes and dislikes with Kyosho SP2? Other than anything with "Kyosho" on it is twice as expensive.:surrender

Thats what I currently run and just wanting to compare the 3 buggies.

The only other buggy I can give you an opinion about is the X-terminator. And all I can say about that is that it's tough, but not up to par when it comes to track time.

There's a few tricks involved when setting up the EPA's and some other tweaks you need to do, in order to avoid burning up throttle servos. I can give you a link to another forum where there's a really good setup guide for this. It's a little to long to copy over here.

I have more than 2 gallons of track time on my 8ight, and it's been a smooth ride so far. No problems have arisen, not even the feared throttle servo "issue". I just tore it down last night and did a checkup on the diffs. the still look and feel like new.

A guy a my track has a Kyosho SP2 I think it is. It seems like a solid ride, and handles quite well. But that's about as much as I know about Kyosho buggies. We don't have any Mugens around here, cause believe it or not but Mugens are more expensive then Kyosho over here.

The Kyosho needs serious updating. Needs big bore shocks and to get rid of the freakin wood screws. Parts aren't as readily available and tend to be a bit more expensive too.

No Love for Xray?!?!?!
Damn Jet gets a taste of the mainstream and forgets his roots....

100 pushups kickboxerboy.....

I agree with it needing better suspension. I believe that is in the works. I think Mark P was trying some out. We will see this weekend. I have updated all screws with hex, tony screws. That is ridiculous that they come with Phillip's head screws.
What style is best to drive the SP2? Smooth like the losi, or hard and aggressive like the Mugen? I have a buddy who is a pretty good wheel and he said he was also on edge with the SP2. After switching to the losi, he is a lot happier.
I'm really leaning toward the eight. What is the cheapest sight to find one?

Fish out of water!!!! LOL Sorry man, I've driven that Mugen so much better than the Xray. I would like to see a new EC and maybe wheel one around and see how it is. I think me converting mine to a TQ hosed it up for me, I should have left it. Xray quality is second to none.

Back